Old 26 October 2012, 09:38   #11

Town: Bangor, North Wales
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude 70hp OB
Thank you for all the replies.

With regards to efficiency, it sounds like the engine is not going to be enough worse than a younger one to be worth worrying about, but I am glad I had the opportunity to brace myself for the running costs! It sounds like it is going to use at least 1 gph at tickover rising to perhaps 6 - 7 gph WOT. I think I am going to need more than one 25lt tank! The Glastron hull is less steeply Vd than most ribs so there should be an efficiency gain there, but it will ride more harshly in a chop. One of the jobs I have for the boat is teaching scouts, which will be lots of low speed work. I'll just have to charge extra for those sessions

A1an, it is a shame to hear that your engine broke. I found that thread earlier and was impressed at you dedication. I hope that the splines failing is not a common fault! On the other hand I may well want spare parts when I try and get the thing to bits.

It is good to hear from Steve that the engine is slightly less ancient than I thought, also confirmed by matching with the decals - thanks T15.

I'm also glad to hear that changing the impeller is generally easy, thanks 9D280, and that normal people would consider using an engine this old.

The biggest problem left seems to be transporting the boat. It is tempting to just launch it and go, but I am definitely not going to try that. There is scary water on the way (Bardsey sound, Caernarfon Bar etc), I haven't done the impeller and I really don't have the experience. It would also cost a bob or two in petrol! Asking to borrow a trailer is a bit much as it would have to be adjusted to fit the boat. Buying a trailer is going to make this too expensive...

Thanks again everyone

David

Old 26 October 2012, 09:49   #12

Town: wolverhampton
Boat name: bluefin
Make: picton
Length: 4m +
Engine: outboard
trailer

Hi David,
There is a galvenised trailer in usable condition for sale in the same boat park that i could find out how much the guy wants if its any help?
I dont think he wants a kings ransome for it

Old 26 October 2012, 10:00   #13

Town: Bangor, North Wales
Make: Tornado
Engine: Evinrude 70hp OB
If you would see about the trailer Steve, that would be great. I have booked Tuesday off next week to go and look at the boat. I'll probably look at the boat in the morning and then take the kids for a walk or something later on if the weather is kind.

Is there a fuel tank with the boat?

All the best

David
Old 26 October 2012, 11:19   #14

Town: Fort William
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: Yamaha F80
RIBase
If you need a tank I have the original tank that came with the engine. Free if you want to pick it up/arrange collection. It could do with a new hose.
Old 26 October 2012, 11:23   #15

Hi There is a tank with it but i doubt it is much good now. We used the tank off our other boat when we ran it. Will need a battery too
Old 29 October 2012, 07:09   #16

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve66 View Post
Hi All, Its a mid 80s engine, top piston is fine and doesnt need any parts (at the moment lol) apart from usual service items and it absolutely flies!!
Steve,

Sorry, I have re- read my post and realised I maybe didn't emphasise the tenuous nature of the link between the two engines (they have different cyl head / blocks) - I wasn't trying to put him off - I'm a fan of the Clamshell!

IF (and that is an if!) the 80 suffered the same problems as the 50/60, a mid 1980s machine should have all the modified bits in already, as proven by yours still running!
Old 29 October 2012, 07:19   #17

No Problem, no offence taken