Old 10 November 2015, 05:13   #1

Ok so I bought a RIB

However, I know almost nothing about RIBs

Can I please ask for advice on what to do with my 'fine' purchase (indeed, wether it is a fine purchase would be a start), I'm aware it's a bit on the scruffy side but it doesn't have any air or water leaks and I think it could make a nice fast fishing boat. I'll post photos and I should say I've got a 25hp Yamaha Autolube to power it, not ideal hp but enough I guess? I need to know what someone with experience would do with this boat if this was the only RIB available to them at the time for the next few years. Any advice on restoration and cleaning and what it is besides an Avon would be greatfully received. Oh and as the question would probably come up, it cost me one and two noughts
Old 10 November 2015, 06:48   #2

Length: 3m +
Tubes have seen better days - fairy power spray required!

How is the transom?

What is she? Is it a SR4? Its an Avon, It has a self draining hull by the looks of things. But its got a spray deck on the tubes but has had an offset console in the past as well?

How is the deck - has it been drilled and screwed lots in the past?

What leg length on the Yam?

How you going to move it about?
Old 10 November 2015, 11:04   #3

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
as shiny says if not rotten no leaks and the hull is sound it'll be a good restoration project a 25 hp will shove that along enough for fishing tiller steer.look on poly marine for cleaning products etc.lots of guys restored avons on here and will advise, £100 not going to break the bank if its too much for you but would be worth it to someone that can repair if you decide not to.

cheers
Old 12 November 2015, 04:56   #4

Ok, thanks for replying, I really need all the advice I can get and I'm very greatful!

Fairy Power Spray, I've used that before and unwisely used it on my plastic shell Microwave, stripped the paint clean off it and rotted the plastic - got the grease off a treat though. But seriously, won't it damage the tubes? I'm not trying to second guess your advice but that stuff is powerful.

The boat is not quite with me yet, it's still in transit so I'll answer questions about it's condition then, all I've got right now is the photos. So hopefully it will turn up but I've no reason to think it won't, the delivery man works in mysterious ways so I can't say when. I bought off the internet and haven't seen it in the flesh at all but £100? - not really a loss that I'm worried about.

I think it's an SR 4 but the only clue I've got is that it measures 3.5m without air in the tubes, I figured half a metre for the aft cones and the nose?

Screw holes, don't know as yet but I've a gallon of epoxy and some Cabosil plus a roll of 450 GSM Chop Mat, Ive also twa tubes of 3M 5200, Tigerseal and already have power tools needed for boat building or restoration (I have two other GRP boats for Resto as well) this RIB was a total impulse buy but I have wanted a SIB or RIB for a while now. I just want a fishing boat that will get me places quick and safe so rather than a shiny Restoration I'm more thinking of a safe seaworthy job that preserves the boat and gets me home safe.

Yam is Long Shaft.

I've got two trailers, both of which can be easily adapted but it's not far to the sea, I live in a harbour lol. I'm going to start welding soon so I can build my own trailers.

More information to follow.

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Tubes have seen better days - fairy power spray required!

How is the transom?

What is she? Is it a SR4? Its an Avon, It has a self draining hull by the looks of things. But its got a spray deck on the tubes but has had an offset console in the past as well?

How is the deck - has it been drilled and screwed lots in the past?

What leg length on the Yam?

How you going to move it about?
Old 12 November 2015, 05:30   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
as shiny says if not rotten no leaks and the hull is sound it'll be a good restoration project a 25 hp will shove that along enough for fishing tiller steer.look on poly marine for cleaning products etc.lots of guys restored avons on here and will advise, £100 not going to break the bank if its too much for you but would be worth it to someone that can repair if you decide not to.

cheers

Thanks for replying, just got wait to have a proper look now and then I can decide what to do, having looked around the forum a bit more, I think I'll be able to find out anything I need to know without asking the same questions that everyone asks so I'll try and keep this thread short to avoid repetition. I'm definitely going to restore this boat though unless the hull is unsalvageable, a few holes and cracks aren't going to be a problem to fix and budget is not a problem unless we are talking about a retube.

I'm hoping theres no rot but even if there is then it's not impossible to replace the plywood in a fibreglass transom I guess (not a job I'd wish for though).

I'll check out Polymarine and research some products while I wait for delivery. Thanks for both of your replies, I just needed a little boost and a couple of suggestions on where to start and you guys have helped me out already
Old 12 November 2015, 10:30   #6

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
yetiman
if your doing any glass repairs/flow-coating etc east coast fiberglass supplies in tyne & wear has some good videos also if you give them a ring very helpful, if you explain what the project is they will advise best product & quantities they also do work for customers if that route suits.

good luck post pics as you go lots of interest on here.

cheers
Old 12 November 2015, 14:15   #7

Town: Dartmouth
Length: 6m +
Looking at the pictures those tubes could possibly not be original and may have been adapted to fit from a sib, the reason I say this is because the patches holding the tube into the transom are definitely not original, it would be worth checking underneath to make sure the under strips are all good.
Old 12 November 2015, 14:56   #8

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
the patches to the transom just look like they have had larger patches over the originals the tubes look just like the ones on my sr4 in design shape ect also the spray cover on the front was original eqpt on early seariders
Old 13 November 2015, 04:08   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
the patches to the transom just look like they have had larger patches over the originals the tubes look just like the ones on my sr4 in design shape ect also the spray cover on the front was original eqpt on early seariders
It is an SR4, I spoke to my Fisherman Friend who picked it up and took it part way for me and he confirmed it, he seemed to think it was in ok shape too . He did say the reinforcing strips down the sides were coming loose a bit in places and might need regluing although the strips are for abrasion protection not anything that would let any air out is the word I got from him, he's a mine of information about boats of all sorts. Have to wait now for delivery but initial signs are good.

I discovered reading on here that the SR 4 floods at rest and as this is a new concept to me I'm wondering how do you keep your toes attached to your feet if you are drift fishing in a pond in the North Sea? I have a Survival/floatation suit but I would think neoprene socks would at least be in order or have I got this wrong? Cheers for the input by the way
Old 13 November 2015, 04:33   #10

its a chamber inside the hull that floods underneath the deck just underwater ballast
Old 13 November 2015, 04:40   #11

Quote:
its a chamber inside the hull that floods underneath the deck just underwater ballast
Thanks mate, that makes perfect sense and saves me a lot of brainache for nothing. Looking at the pictures closely it's now obvious to me, flat deck + V bottom = chamber = dry(ish) feet.
Old 13 November 2015, 08:18   #12

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Quote:
The early seariders did indeed have the foredeck spray cover - but not that shape and they also had a GRP moulding to support the rear of the spraydeck, steering and a windscreen.

I reckon the tubes may be from a 4m Avon SIB as suggested.
Old 13 November 2015, 08:38   #13

RIBase
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rc...47493913064342

From a SIB like this one perhaps?
Old 13 November 2015, 15:13   #14

hmm maybe your right certainly looks more like them than the sr4 at the transom end
Old 15 November 2015, 05:15   #15

I'm thinking you may be right, so is this a bad thing? Am I right in thinking that this may be an SR4 hull with Avon SIB tubes fitted to the top? If it's a pro job or at least a solid quality pairing, will it make any difference to the performance and handling do you think? It's certainly near impossible for me to tell the difference but I'm hardly a beginner yet even, nowhere close to veteran.
Old 15 November 2015, 15:25   #16

RIBase
If they've been fitted well - and were a reasonably good match shape prior to fitting, given what you paid I wouldn't be too worried.

Do they look well attached?
Old 19 November 2015, 21:46   #17

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetiman View Post
I'm thinking you may be right, so is this a bad thing? Am I right in thinking that this may be an SR4 hull with Avon SIB tubes fitted to the top?
Firstly hello & welcome to Ribnet!

I also when first looking at the first pic thought "W400" or "S400", but the pic of the transom Looks a lot like an SR4! I think you might have hit the nail on the head there.

I used to own an SR4, and 25HP will push that along at 20 knts easily
Old 20 November 2015, 07:51   #18

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Also forgot to say - the flooding hull is a good feature for fishing - when you stop you get a stable platform that doesn't get blown sidweways at wind speed!

It does however mean you get a wee bit of "entetrtainment" when you start, as a bigger engine will lift the whole lot onto the plane easily, whereas the 25 leaves you at 45 degrees (not really, but it feels like it!) for what seems like forever (call it 15-20 seconds!) before the water drains out and you are up on the plane.

Simple solution - store fuel / anchor at the bow, and if you have crew - get them to move forward on take- off - simples!

Tags
rib