Old 08 October 2006, 16:17   #11
Town: Chichester
Length: no boat
Originally Posted by no fear View Post
I was once told not to use anything with silocone in it as you will not be able to stick any adhesive for any repairs later if needed,Hope that helps fpr the future
Nah, Silicone is fine. If you are doing a proffesional job you would scuff the area in need of gluing off anyway, leaving no silicone.

For oily tubes I would use Ribshine, for really stubbon bits on hypalon then it is toluene and for pvc it is MEK. But after this I would wash them well and then use some PROtection to keep them weather and element protected.

Stephen-RIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 October 2006, 12:24   #12
Town: Exmouth, Devon
Length: no boat
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
detailed list:
this is actually glove compatability - so will include both "permeation" and actual damage to the material.
Marvellous document!

Unfortunately it's not too good for assessing picnic damage as salad dressings, mustard and chooclate syrup are all n/a. However resistance to beer, whiskey and wines is excellent.

Tel 01395 227727
MikeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 October 2006, 12:30   #13
Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
MEK and Toluene (and acetone, to some extent) will dissolve the hypalon material (which is why the stuff is used in adhesives, to promote adhesive penetration into the material.)

But, for a quick wipe, it does work. I have used acetone as a cleaner on my old Achilles SIB(removing road tar and various marine oils and scums), and it worked quite well. Wet a rag with acetone, and wipe/scrub, allow to air dry before re-doing the same spot. Be damn sure you're not smoking while doing it, though.

jyasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2006, 10:21   #14
Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
After years of trying various products and lots of "elbow grease", I had a stroke of brilliance this season. I used some fibreglass cleaner which is mildly abrasive, but the difference was that I used a buffing pad on a cordless drill to replace the grunt work. I cleaned my Hurricane from stem to stern in only a couple of hours... and it was dirty! I have always been reluctant to use any sort of solvents on the tubes in case it affects the hypalon adversely.

Th only downside was that the cleaner contained a wax which left the tubes slippery. I washed them down with a little dish-washing liquid and it removed that finish easily. I believe there are wax-free fibreglass cleaners that migh be better to use.

With the cordless drill, you can do this anywhere you like, whenever you're inspired to do a little "housework"...

Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote