Old 26 June 2009, 11:06   #1

Town: Liverpool
Make: Avon, Aircraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 60 etec, 75 mariner
Oil Burning engines

For all who use diesel engines whether it be cars our boats check out his website www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=48309 these tests were conducted by Audi. I and a few friends have started using 2 stroke oil in our cars and have noticed some improvement, my friends L400 Delica which was having injector trouble when accelerating has all but gone. I have not found the Audi page with the info on yet, but I'll keep looking!

Lee
Old 26 June 2009, 11:32   #2

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
most injector cleaners are basicaly a light oil with a few so called benefical additives ,
Old 26 June 2009, 19:57   #3

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Kerosene/parrafin works even better and is cheaper - also white spirit - jet fuel and even petrol - diesels will burn any old crap!!!

And of course there's good old cooking oil. Remember castor oil is still one of the best 2 stroke lubes - it's where the name Castrol comes from!!!
Old 26 June 2009, 20:49   #4

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Kerosene/parrafin works even better and is cheaper - also white spirit - jet fuel and even petrol - diesels will burn any old crap!!!

And of course there's good old cooking oil. Remember castor oil is still one of the best 2 stroke lubes - it's where the name Castrol comes from!!!
I cant disagree with a word you say on this topic codders .. wasnt it the case that during the 40/50's someone developed and engine for the British army specifically to burn almost anything, after Herr Diesel came up with the idea? like even if you could thin creosote out enough it would work fine ?
Old 26 June 2009, 23:51   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
I cant disagree with a word you say on this topic codders .. wasnt it the case that during the 40/50's someone developed and engine for the British army specifically to burn almost anything, after Herr Diesel came up with the idea? like even if you could thin creosote out enough it would work fine ?
Don't know about that but wouldn't be suprised. The most important thing is the viscosity - the thinner the better. If you had a tank heater or were in the desert you could run on lard I suppose.

Then again an older Discovery is about as multi fuel as you can get - 7 different ones at the same time is my record(abroad of course)...........
Old 27 June 2009, 07:07   #6

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Heres one although not British made by jeep I think

http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/sh...ct-547646.html
Old 27 June 2009, 14:40   #7

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
like most large deisel engines on ships that run on the really heavy oil ,the fuel is pre heated to thin it out before it goes into the injectors .
Old 27 June 2009, 22:22   #8

Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
The important thing to remember is that there is a world of difference between your average marine / army / tractor diesel engine and the diesel engine in a modern diesel car.

A lot of work has gone in to achieving low emissions and high performance from ever smaller and lighter diesel engines. Amongst many other 'improvements' tolerances between components in fuel pumps and injectors have got much tighter.

In a previous life I worked for a filtration company developing fuel filters for a number of car manufacturers, and the fuel cleanliness requirements to achieve the design life for the fuel system components were extremely tight. Personally, I wouldn't add anything to diesel fuel that could effect viscosity / lubricity / filterability.

Cheers

Chris
Old 27 June 2009, 22:28   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123 View Post
The important thing to remember is that there is a world of difference between your average marine / army / tractor diesel engine and the diesel engine in a modern diesel car.

A lot of work has gone in to achieving low emissions and high performance from ever smaller and lighter diesel engines. Amongst many other 'improvements' tolerances between components in fuel pumps and injectors have got much tighter.

In a previous life I worked for a filtration company developing fuel filters for a number of car manufacturers, and the fuel cleanliness requirements to achieve the design life for the fuel system components were extremely tight. Personally, I wouldn't add anything to diesel fuel that could effect viscosity / lubricity / filterability.

Cheers

Chris
I agree you need to avoid thicker fuels. I changed the fuel filter on my Discovery - first time in 75,000 miles - it was spotless!!!

Some of the "modern" engines out there aren't so modern after all - the Passat I hired a few months ago still had the original 1.9tdi engine in it - yuch!!!

I know one bloke with one of the latest Mercs which he runs on neat cooking oil - he has a heated tank.

Lubricity is improved considerably by cooking oil. The US army have been using jet fuel/kerosene in all their diesel engines and they use lubricity enhancers to compensate - only needed in very hot countries though.
Old 28 June 2009, 00:57   #10

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:

Cheers

Chris
True, althought there does seem to be a good number of people running waste vegetable oil through their newish VW TDI engines without problems (good filtration is key however). I have a naturally aspirated diesel engine (TD42) in my Nissan Patrol and am planning to install an auxillary long range tank for WVO. I have just added a Racor 12 fuel filter (with the clear lexan bowl at the bottom) as a pre-filter to the stock fuel filter. This way I can readily see if anything undesireable is (most likely water) is making its way into the fuel system.
Old 28 June 2009, 03:00   #11

If the WVO is too thick adding some petrol works wonders - especially in colder weather!!!
Old 28 June 2009, 09:40   #12

Town: Here
Boat name: doggypaddle
Make: Avon 5.4 Searider
Engine: yamaha 80
Quote:
If the WVO is too thick adding some petrol works wonders - especially in colder weather!!!
yeah, you dont want to add too much though, I have a 300tdi piston as a paperweight from an engine run on petrol and wvo mix, Both halves of it
Old 28 June 2009, 10:04   #13

Quote:
I agree you need to avoid thicker fuels. I changed the fuel filter on my Discovery - first time in 75,000 miles - it was spotless!!!
Well, yes, probably because all the s**t in your fuel went straight through it! Modern injectors can have clearances as small as a couple of microns - if your fuel filter caught anything smaller than 100 microns I would be surprised. We tested a lot of competitor filters (to ISO4020 for anyone that is interested) and most of them would have lasted forever because all the test contaminant went straight through them!

Quote:
Some of the "modern" engines out there aren't so modern after all - the Passat I hired a few months ago still had the original 1.9tdi engine in it - yuch!!!
It may be the 'original' 1,9 tdi engine block, but does it have the same power output as earlier Passats? Same emissions? Same fuel pressure? Same fuel pump? Same injectors?

Cheers

Chris
Old 28 June 2009, 12:29   #14

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
A tiny bit of gasoline in the tank will also lift any varnish off the tank walls as well. Very important to have a couple of spare fuel filters ready since such an effective flush will clog the existing ones in a hurry.
Old 28 June 2009, 13:04   #15

Quote:
Well, yes, probably because all the s**t in your fuel went straight through it! Modern injectors can have clearances as small as a couple of microns - if your fuel filter caught anything smaller than 100 microns I would be surprised. We tested a lot of competitor filters (to ISO4020 for anyone that is interested) and most of them would have lasted forever because all the test contaminant went straight through them!

It may be the 'original' 1,9 tdi engine block, but does it have the same power output as earlier Passats? Same emissions? Same fuel pressure? Same fuel pump? Same injectors?

Cheers

Chris
Thats shocking - whats the point in a filter then? Why have I seen filters marked at 30 and 5 microns? Surely they can't ALL be faulty???

No it didn't have the same power as early passats - it actually had LESS - 105bhp to be exact. Totally gutless - how the hell they can sell a car like that is beyond me.

And I would guess the parts are the same - engine looked identical just down on power cos of extra emissions crap.
Old 28 June 2009, 16:55   #16

Quote:
Thats shocking - whats the point in a filter then? Why have I seen filters marked at 30 and 5 microns? Surely they can't ALL be faulty???
OK, I exaggerated a tad - most of the contaminant went through, not all

There are three ways to rate a filter:

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/...articleid=1289

Fuel filters are slightly different but the principle is broadly the same.

Guess which of the three filter rating methods a lot of filter companies use?

Cheers

Chris