Old 06 October 2001, 22:24   #1

offshore ribs?

I am looking for a good solid offshore rib and am torn between a delta, valiant, ribcraft, avon (above 7.5m)
Has anyone got any unbiased ideas about which are best for comfy long distance cruising?

Thanks guys

Bear
Old 07 October 2001, 08:43   #2
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Deltas tend to be very wet and have a hard ride. They are almost indestructible, but I wouldn't describe them as comfortable.

The larger Valiant's look OK, but I don't know of any that have been used for anything really serious so far.

Ribcraft make good offshore boats and are definitely worth a look.

The larger Avons are OK as far as I know, but tend to be overpriced as they are aimed at the high end commercial market.

Others makes to consider are:

Scorpion -- popular long distance cruising boats, with a well proven deep V hull

Ribtec -- as used by Alan Priddy for his endurance records, and his choice for Spirit of Cardiff which he will be taking round the world next year

Are you planning anything epic by any chance?

John
Old 08 October 2001, 16:11   #3

god willing!
Old 09 October 2001, 18:23   #4

offshore ribs

Hi Bear.
The only reason a Delta is wetter or harder riding than any other boat is because you can drive it harder in any weather than any other boat without fear of it falling apart! An 8.5m Delta with diesel inboard will take you anywhere you need to go, and bring you back again. If you are planning on crusing in the backside of beyond far better to travel with two boats than two engines.
We went for a wee run out to St Kilda the Orkneys and back this summer and the fuel costs were minimal max £60 per day, the only place we had to carry fuel was Barra. Petrol is far to expensive and inconvient for distance crusing in my opinion.
Old 09 October 2001, 21:02   #5

Town: Poole
Length: no boat
Having had a Delta I can confirm what John and the others say.

You feel that the boat is capable of far more than you are. It was my first boat and I learnt (and still learning) a lot of lessons the hard way and the boat never failed me. If you’re going offshore then you need a boat that won't break. One issue with Delta is that, unless they have changed, are only making boats for commercial organisations.

My current boat is an 8.75 Scorpion with 300hp Yanmar which offers a very dry ride and I would say is a drivers boat. Mike Deacon went round the UK non-stop in the same length/power boat recently without any problem related to the boat.

Also look at Ribtec, as Alan Priddy, has taken the RIB profile higher and higher and he has always used RibTec (never been on one so can't comment).

Avon are quality boats but you pay one hell of a premium

Get yourself on a cruise and look at the boats and talk to the drivers. See who orders the first whiskey and you'll know who had a hard ride.

By the way I’m hoping to cross the channel this weekend and may have space on the boat. If your interested call me on 07973 343283

Regards

Mark

Old 10 October 2001, 07:07   #6
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
The only reason a Delta is wetter or harder riding than any other boat is because you can drive it harder in any weather than any other boat without fear of it falling apart!
No, in my experience it's because it's a hard riding (or perhaps "firm" would be a better word), wet hull design It's true you can drive it as hard as you like though!

As Mark said, Deltas are not CE marked and therefore can only be sold for professional use, not leisure. How that would be enforced though, I have no idea!

John
Old 10 October 2001, 12:47   #7

comments on offshore valiants/ribcrafts?
Bear
Old 10 October 2001, 12:59   #8

Town: N.C.
Ribcraft Demo...

Bear,
Ribcraft is having a Open Demo. Weekend the 27 & 28th Oct. , check out their website for details...

So was it cold at the top of the world?...
Old 10 October 2001, 19:47   #9

Town: Somerset
Boat name: Ashling
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercury 225
Another couple of RIB builders worth checking would be Ring Powercraft and Crompton. Both very well built go anywhere boats

www.henshaw.co.uk
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2001, 09:11   #10

bit parky!

thanks mate!

Bear
www.beargrylls.com
Old 11 October 2001, 18:57   #11

Town: UK
Hi Bear ,

I ahve a RIBCRAFT 5.85 with 115 hp Evinrude Ficht which has a great ride ,if you want a go in it just let me know I'm always ready to escape the office for a bit of fun ,based in Hants . PS enjoyed the book a lot and also the Talk at Alton last year!

John
Old 26 October 2001, 20:38   #12

Make: Redbay Stormforce 11
try look at aSTORMFORCE RIB made by RED BAY BOATS ;
they make a large range of sizes plus layouts :
Old 27 October 2001, 00:12   #13

Town: Bangor
Make: Shakespeare
Length: 7m +
Engine: O/b 225
In the size you are thinking of, most of the RIB manufacturers are quite capable of making a good strong capable offshore boat. Whether it be Ribtec, Valiant, Humber, Redbay, Delta, or a.n.other, the choice will be more dependent on whose personal likings you listen to the most, tempered by the cost, console layout and accesories being quoted to you at the time. So get a clear idea of exacrly what type of seating and options you want and go for the best price currenlty being quote to you. Most of the members of this forum will have personal favourites (mine is Humber or Rimini) but you will have to form your own opinion. In the smaller sizes the designs and price are much more important. You should be asking yourself do you really need something this big?
Old 16 November 2001, 16:59   #14

Town: uk
"What about Ribcrafts?"

I have a ribcraft 5.85.

I have done some offshore stuff with it eg I went to St. Malo and back in the summer and I have also been out in F7/8s.

The boat is very well built and has excellent seakeeping qualities, the turned up bow gives a great ride down waves. The price is good and the guys at ribcraft are very helpful, which is good to know as you may have recourse to your builder afterwards for advice, upgrades etc...

Cheers

Donald