Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 02 January 2017, 04:09   #1
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Iksal village
Boat name: no name
Make: Zebec
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15 hp o.b. petrol
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 200
Offset seats and console?

Hi
Some posts talked about weight dispersal and performance of the RIB

Some say, better have the console up front so that plaining would be easier. What would happen if you have the console more to the back so that you can have a less disturbing hits on choppy sea, being more able to operate and read all the electronics on the console (such as fish finder-in my case) and have a front seat for your partner-who will have weight dispersal correct and get more bymps that the driver.

second and more important question to me is the weght dispersal on the width axes..some ribs may not offer enough space to have console and seating in the middle of the boat width, where fisherman can fish next to console or seat or pass from stern to bow freely, then better have side console/seats.

My question here, how do you think this would affect the performance of the rib? in regular fiber boats i know it has a negative effect, in my sib boat i dont find alot of effect due to tubes touching water all the time, how in RIBs? is there any way to overcome that by laying fuel on the opposite side or any other solution?
__________________

__________________
sameh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2017, 07:18   #2
Administrator
 
John Kennett's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 6,830
You need to think about how the boat will be balanced with the various different setups, and decide which will be best for the way you are likely to use it most.

Generally the further back you are, the more comfortable the ride becomes. You still need enough weight forward though to keep the boat reasonably level without having to use lots of engine trim. Small boats are relatively easy to ballast by moving fuel tanks, anchors etc but this is generally less practical with bigger boats.

I've seen RIBs and other small boats with the console offset to the side, but I've never used one. I would expect the handling to be compromised to a certain degree unless it's balanced out some way.
__________________

__________________
John Kennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2017, 08:31   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,962
My previous rib, 6.5mtr, had the console set to the starboard side. The offset seemed to be balanced by the prop torque and it gave me no issues.
__________________
JW.
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2017, 10:05   #4
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Iksal village
Boat name: no name
Make: Zebec
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15 hp o.b. petrol
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
My previous rib, 6.5mtr, had the console set to the starboard side. The offset seemed to be balanced by the prop torque and it gave me no issues.
I did not take the torque of propeller..good point and good thing for me-having the console to the side to have more space for fishing and walking by!
__________________
sameh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2017, 10:11   #5
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Iksal village
Boat name: no name
Make: Zebec
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15 hp o.b. petrol
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
You need to think about how the boat will be balanced with the various different setups, and decide which will be best for the way you are likely to use it most.

Generally the further back you are, the more comfortable the ride becomes. You still need enough weight forward though to keep the boat reasonably level without having to use lots of engine trim. Small boats are relatively easy to ballast by moving fuel tanks, anchors etc but this is generally less practical with bigger boats.

I've seen RIBs and other small boats with the console offset to the side, but I've never used one. I would expect the handling to be compromised to a certain degree unless it's balanced out some way.
Thanks for the reply john.
My target is 5-6 m RIB. Heared that console should start 2/3 length of the boat from bow. Wonder if that is the case usually...seems reasonable to me and confortable position..having another person closer to bow will make better balance..
__________________
sameh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2017, 16:32   #6
Member
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,272
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Can't recall any serious or Top end RIB with off set Consul as standard.
Try Before you Buy or start Hacking a used one to bits would be my advice!
__________________
A clever Man learns by his mistakes..
A Wise Man learns by other people's!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2017, 08:10   #7
RIBnet supporter
 
Ian M's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: New Milton
Boat name: Jianna
Make: Osprey
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 E-TEC
MMSI: 235076954
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,933
Port/starboard weight distribution is important. When installing one of my RIBs my real world (lack) of experience showed. I installed the 2 batteries on the opposite side to the helm position, thinking to counter balance the helms weight. Did not take into account prop torque. Handling was not the best
Later shifted both batteries as far to starboard as possible inside the console and the handling was transformed.
__________________
Ian

Dust creation specialist
Ian M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2017, 09:04   #8
Member
 
Mextli's Avatar
 
Country: Germany
Town: Nuremberg
Boat name: November
Make: Avon Searider 4M
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55
MMSI: 211748930
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 312
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Can't recall any serious or Top end RIB with off set Consul as standard.
Try Before you Buy or start Hacking a used one to bits would be my advice!
Some Seariders have console offset as standard.
__________________
Cheers
Luke

Searider+Yamaha+Land Rover= :D :D
Mextli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2017, 09:16   #9
Member
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,272
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mextli View Post
Some Seariders have console offset as standard.
Yes they do.
Some cars WERE made of Fibre Glass and had three wheels as well
I was referring to what's made these days...on the smaller Sea riders I'm pretty sure it was a way of trying to make some more room,and not for "Balance"
__________________
A clever Man learns by his mistakes..
A Wise Man learns by other people's!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2017, 12:13   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 4,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Yes they do.
Some cars WERE made of Fibre Glass and had three wheels as well
I was referring to what's made these days...on the smaller Sea riders I'm pretty sure it was a way of trying to make some more room,and not for "Balance"
Think it was for pulling up Lobster pots n stuff.
__________________

__________________
Member of S.A.B.S. West Country Division
matt h is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:29.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.