Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 24 September 2009, 22:42   #21

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
One of my mates used to think it was funny to jump up and down in the lift to make it bounce - he wasn't very big but he could get even big lifts swaying quite alarmingly - other passengers were terrified!!!
I work at a community college, and many of our bldgs are 2-story with elevators. There was a grop of Samoan students (mostly here to play American Football, I think), who used to get as many of them into the elevator car as possible, stop it between floors, and jump up and down as a group. Not sure if it was the novelty of the elevator, or just being stupid. pretty funny to watch/listen, though.

jky
Old 25 September 2009, 06:41   #22

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
That kind of reminds me about a kid I watched, whilst I was up the CN tower years ago ... on the main floor about 1000ft up there are these 'unbreakable' glass panels in the floor so you can see stright down to the ground and this guy was jumping up and down on them trying to break them .. and I thought .. what does that tell you about human nature ?
Old 25 September 2009, 15:06   #23

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Heard a very similar story some years ago about a new office block somewhere with plate glass windows. The project manager or architect or such like was showing off how strong they were to a group of visitors by running up and banging into one of these on the end of a corridor some 15 floors up. You can guess what ultimately happened
Old 27 September 2009, 18:45   #24

Town: UK
Boat name: Scorpion
Make: Scorpion 8.5m MKII
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar 440hp Jet
A few years ago when I was working on cruise ships, we had (and still have) glass floor panels on the bridge wings to assist manouevering. I used to love watching the sea pass underneath my feet on a long deep sea watch, but 99% of the bridge tour guests wouldn't go anywhere near them.

Going back to night sailing in RIBS, personally I absolutely hate going out at night, particularly hate the feeling when you go sail into the darkness relying on the GPS......

Day sailing is much, much more fun, faster, faster, faster... :-)
Old 28 September 2009, 20:53   #25

Town: Looe
Make: Delta
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury
Yeah i get the same if i have been out for a long time on the water. I usually find it worse when i lie down in bed!. I always find it worse if im inside a boat even if its a big old slow ferry!!