Old 09 May 2004, 20:21   #21

Town: Ongar, Essex
Make: Avon 620
Length: 6.2
Engine: mercury 135 Optimax
I just went to the local car spares shop with the log book and walked out with the rear number plate for the new trailer for about £7 so support the local shop
Old 09 May 2004, 20:35   #22

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Number plates

I bought some plates last year on line. The new regs were just coming in and I didn't get asked for anything. I wonder how that firm sells number plates now!

I went to halfords and that was a nightmare. Apparently a Police Warrant card is no good.

I went to a local Auto parts shop and a bit of haggling with some photocopies of docs I keep in the car worked. And it was a damn site cheaper than Halfords.

What I want to know is if all these new regs are in operation is how come loads of people are driving around with blatently illegal plates.

Good job they aren't on my patch because I would pull them and then I would check everything else. Oh wonderful days, rich pickings.....
Old 10 May 2004, 08:26   #23

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff
My understanding is that the trailer number plate does not have to match the car, but it must match up with the driver of the vehicle. Anyone know if this is true or have I been believing Porky Pies.
How can that work? Although plates are the reg mark for a vehicle that has an owner - surely the plate must match the vehicle otherwise we could have a personal plate for life or something like that?

Now there's an idea!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2004, 14:51   #24

Town: Cardiff
Boat name: Sea Dog
Make: Avon
Length: 4m
Engine: Merc' 25hp
Same here. Halfords just would not accept a telephone bill! I had the logbook, Insurance, Passport, Photo ID, Building society book, but no way!Just as well my wife was there to calm me down, I just saw very, very red. How are youngsters going to get replacement plates? They generally don't pay any utility bills.
Old 10 May 2004, 15:01   #25

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles
What I want to know is if all these new regs are in operation is how come loads of people are driving around with blatently illegal plates
Because I for one have got better things to do than piss about in Halfords with bits of paper, so where in the past I did buy a new plate if I changed the car, now ? forget it.

Pete
Old 10 May 2004, 15:18   #26

Town: Saltash, Cornwall
Make: Rib less:-(
Length: no boat
Just an idea - when I changed my vehicle I got the dealer to include an extra rear number plate in the deal. Worth a try if you are changing.
Jelly
Old 11 May 2004, 17:29   #27

Town: Northampton
Boat name: Between boats
Local dealers/auto part outlets have different interpretations of the regulations and what documentation is required. But most are well intentioned.

The bottom line is that it is intended to make it more difficult to 'ring' a vehicle. As far as trailers are concerned (and yes Geoff, the reg does need to match the tow vehicle), any trailer with a different number is far game to be stopped. After all, it could be yours or my trailer disappearing down the road never to be seen again, hooked up to someone else car!!