Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Now the work starts

Won this on Ebay today. Guy is going to delivery tomorrow.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=190105468153
Now the fun starts.
Old 26 April 2007, 00:34   #2

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
re new boat

Hey Limey, congratulations! Knew you were looking for a while so happy to see you finally picked one up! This looks like a decent boat so good luck with it. That seems a pretty good deal considering you bought the whole rig for that money. Let me know if you are considering painting the tubes as I have some information regarding that and some specialized paint as well that could be had cheap although it is black in color, that could be a problem in your area, awfully hot to sit on!
Old 26 April 2007, 00:45   #3

Thanks Pat
Yes, I am interested in tube paint., and yes black may be a problem. However would like the info. Was planning on using TUFF COAT and have a quote for $400 for the paint. Any suggestions/ ideas would be greatly appreciated. Finding a large RIB in AZ is very difficult and this one just happened to be 20 miles away. Good not resist as I have been looking for about a year. As W. Churchill said, KBO.
Regards, T.
Old 26 April 2007, 01:06   #4

RE paint for tubes

I have two gallons of black paint I never used that I bought from Demaree, I spoke with Dave Demaree who indicated the whole tube set would need to be properly buffed (sanded) so I never used it. You could give them a call, a good source of information.http://dibboats.com/ I would not be in a hurry to paint, the hypalon the italians use is generally good, the sponsons may clean up nicely if there is not a lot of wear and tear.
Old 26 April 2007, 01:35   #5

Thanks Pat
The tubes have some threadbare areas which I would like to "patch" in the short term. Your two gallons are of interest and the black would not be an
issue as I plan to patch at this time.
How much do you want for the paint inc. shipping to Scottsdale Az. 85262.
Thanks, Tony
Old 26 April 2007, 02:23   #6

re paint for tubes

I will send it out if you can use it with a original cost invoice, see how it works out and if you are happy with the results pay me for it, how does that sound? I think it was about 150 for the two gallons when I bought it, have had it in the basement for about a year. I have all the technical info on this as it is specially formulated for Hypalon, I will send that with the paint if you are interested, Pat
Old 26 April 2007, 02:40   #7

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Looks like a good bargain - hard to tell from the photos but maybe it would be worth trying some thinners or similar first?
Old 26 April 2007, 02:59   #8

Hi Codders
Thanks for the idea. yes will try some thinners but I have to repair the threadbare areas first that are a result of divers sitting on the tubes. Have a secret formula for cleaning up tubes but have not tried it. I will let all know if it works. Test area first of course.
Old 26 April 2007, 09:34   #9
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey Linda View Post
Hi Codders
Thanks for the idea. yes will try some thinners but I have to repair the threadbare areas first that are a result of divers sitting on the tubes. Have a secret formula for cleaning up tubes but have not tried it. I will let all know if it works. Test area first of course.
So would some strategically placed "wear patches" (matching both sides of course) in a contrasting colour be enough to avoid painting? Or are the better bits of the tube really that bad?
Old 26 April 2007, 09:40   #10

Town: Colchester/Clevedon
Boat name: Barracuda
Make: Porters
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50hp
Congratulations, that's a hell of a lot of boat for the money!

I think you'll be able to put new wear patches over those worn areas, as they're fairly localised (A shame that lomac didn't fit bigger wear patches in the first place!) and with thinners take the oxidation and dirt of the rest of the tubes.

I've just used tuolene based thinners to clean up mine and the transformation is unbelievable.

Good luck!
Old 26 April 2007, 10:58   #11

Town: Poole
Make: Aquaflyte
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc 90 2Str
Limey

Might be worth having a chat with Paul Tilley about the repair of the tubes. He may be able to give you some good advice. Covering threadbare tubes was exactly what he did for my Ribtec. Have a look at some of the piccies in the thread below and you'll see what a good job can be done

http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16962

Good luck - looks like good value for the rig

Andrew
Old 26 April 2007, 21:07   #12

Town: Melbourne
Make: Vipermax
Engine: Suzuki DF140
Hi

Nice to see another Lomac on the site! It looks like a good buy.

While my boat is a bit (OK a lot) smaller, much of the setup looks similar. The 23' seems to sit between the 6.6m and 7.6m boats currently available, but the 200hp would seem to be the max rated for the hull.

The hull shapes seem really efficient and I bet it will be quick.

The 5.4 is also setup with the steering consol quite aft and we've got the max rated HP at 115. We've found it essential to have a decent weight in the bow locker - I've used sand, probably 40kg when on my own, and one of the other 5.4s has a 80l water ballast. Not a problem with a crew of divers aboad, but not comfortable by yourself.

Good luck with the tubes.
Old 26 April 2007, 22:44   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apherel View Post
Hi

Nice to see another Lomac on the site! It looks like a good buy.

While my boat is a bit (OK a lot) smaller, much of the setup looks similar. The 23' seems to sit between the 6.6m and 7.6m boats currently available, but the 200hp would seem to be the max rated for the hull.

The hull shapes seem really efficient and I bet it will be quick.

The 5.4 is also setup with the steering consol quite aft and we've got the max rated HP at 115. We've found it essential to have a decent weight in the bow locker - I've used sand, probably 40kg when on my own, and one of the other 5.4s has a 80l water ballast. Not a problem with a crew of divers aboad, but not comfortable by yourself.

Good luck with the tubes.
Thanks for the tips. I was expecting as much on the balance isue. Easy to solve though. Will post progress as it happens. There is not much room behind the console for seating; do you use a leaning post?
Old 27 April 2007, 01:20   #14

Town: Melbourne
Make: Vipermax
Engine: Suzuki DF140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey Linda View Post
There is not much room behind the console for seating; do you use a leaning post?
Mine has a built in bench seat over a large locker, but I hardly ever drive sitting down so its not very secure in rougher stuff. I'm thinking jockeys for my next boat, if I can make it all fit, otherwise a leaning post.

Having another look at your boat, there isn't much room is there! Looks like you'd need an open type stainless frame to leave room for the outboard to tilt. Zodiac have a nice looking one that might leave you with reasonable access if it fits (and the price is right!)
Old 27 April 2007, 16:12   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apherel View Post
Mine has a built in bench seat over a large locker, but I hardly ever drive sitting down so its not very secure in rougher stuff. I'm thinking jockeys for my next boat, if I can make it all fit, otherwise a leaning post.

Having another look at your boat, there isn't much room is there! Looks like you'd need an open type stainless frame to leave room for the outboard to tilt. Zodiac have a nice looking one that might leave you with reasonable access if it fits (and the price is right!)
Thank you for the input, I will check it out. It turns out that the boat has an underwater fresh water tank with electric pump for a deck shower. it appears to be forward of the console so it may help. Have a lot more investigation to do. Biggest problem at this time is repairing the leaking hydralic steering cylinder and kinked hose. The hull has a planing pad so this may help also with back end lift. Had to but the boat without sea trial at that price so there are a lot of ?'s still unanswered. Under deck it is a " mares nest" of hoses and cables. The good news is that there are hatches to get to everything. Lot's of work to do. First priority is to get a tow ball that matches the trailer hitch so I can move the thing followed by a good check out of the trailer brakes, bearings etc.