Old 14 March 2003, 09:22   #1

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Spare Rib
Make: Zodiac/Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90hp Yamaha
Now I'm a RIBster..

(or nearly) I'd appreciate advice/tips on any of the following.

1. Recommended place(s) to buy:
- waterskis (adult and child)
- ringo or similar water toy for non-skiers
- wetsuits

Should I consider second hand. If so where?

2. What's the best method of providing a towing point for skis/toys for a 6m RIB with outboard. I assume a ski-eye but where to fix it as the transom centre is occupied (obviously) by the outboard.

3. Views on whether I should do water-ski driver training (I have powerboat level 2 and motor cruiser day skipper practical/coastal skipper shorebased). I have done some ski-ing also but not expert (still on two skis).

4. Places to water-ski near Portsmouth (I know about the Langstone Harbour area - any others?)

5. May want convenience of keeping boat in water, at least for 2-3 "high summer" (joke) months. Is anti-fouling a must or would I get away without and jetwash/scrub when I take the boat out again?

6. Do I need boarding ladder to aid recovery of skiers? Kids OK to pull over the tubes but how easy to pull myself in?

Thanks everybody (in advance).

Tim
Old 14 March 2003, 09:54   #2

Town: Edenbridge
Boat name: Scorpion
Make: Scorpion 8.5mtr
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315hp Yanmar Diesel
New Ribster

Hi Tim

1. There is a huge chandlers down in Port Solent that sells all waterskies , ringo etc at reasonable prices aslo a nice place to go for lunch.

2. I have towed skiers for many years but never had proper training, take it slow and make sure you have a good look out for the skier, practice picking up using the figure of 8 turn to retrieve the skier, may be an idea to practice this using a fender instead of a skier for the first few attempts.

3. I ski in Alum bay which has good shelter and you can get close to the shore as the bank has a steep drop on it , or go across Poole bay to studland bay which is very nice and great for sking etc.

4. Lymington is a good place to keep the boat but i dont think you will get in now. Maybe Chchester or Hayling island would be a good bet to moor the boat. As long as you use the boat regulary yoou wont need to antifoul it, whe you take the boat outto the beach take a scrubbing brush and clean the hull as best you can, regular use will remove algi etc,

5. A boarding lader will help you get back in the boat which is not easy when you are tired after sking.

Hope this is of help.

Julian
Old 14 March 2003, 10:25   #3

Town: Poole
Length: no boat
Tim

Install towing eyes either side of the engine and I'm sure that a ski shop will have the correct fitting for two eyes.

This will insure that the pull is from the center of the boat.

Regards

Mark
Old 14 March 2003, 11:14   #4
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Re: New Ribster

Quote:
Originally posted by Julian
I have towed skiers for many years but never had proper training
Yeah, and you nearly drowned me off Torquay a few years ago!

John
Old 14 March 2003, 11:23   #5

Town: Edenbridge
Boat name: Scorpion
Make: Scorpion 8.5mtr
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315hp Yanmar Diesel
New Ribster

Oh yeah i had forgot about that one.

You have to take the rough with the smooth John, That was when i was learning. I seem to remember that being a funny lesson.
Old 14 March 2003, 12:03   #6

Town: Dunedin
Boat name: Zebedee
Make: Zodiac
Engine: Mariner 15 2 stroke
Re: Re: New Ribster

Quote:
Originally posted by John Kennett
Yeah, and you nearly drowned me off Torquay a few years ago!
How does this happen? Did you get tangled up in the tow rope? Is that unusual?

cheers,
Simon
Old 14 March 2003, 13:17   #7

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
You can Ski in a couple of places near Portsmouth. Lee on Solent springs to mind it has coned off skiing areas but if you really want a good and relatively Jetski free area then I would reccomend the Test Estuary.

This is at the end of Southampton water and is a big area where the container ships park sorry dock. Its dead flat allways and deristricted speed wise and not to many people know about it.

I guess I've just blown that though.

I bought a load of Ringoes twisters inflatable jetski's, ski ropes and stuff, but my insurance is commercial and doesn't cover me to tow skiers so they are unused. send me a PM and I'll tell you what I have and you can make an offer if you want.. Also I have a wakeboard and a pair of Waterski's which are not for sale but you can borrow them if you want.....There is also a Boat jumble coming up locally this Sunday you can allways get stuff at those.

Most important point as far as I am concerned is that you get some training of sorts maybe try the Calshott activity centre, they could give you advice at least.

Secondly make sure you are insured. I know when I used to insure my boats privately through Mardon then I was covered for skiinging and watertoys. I personally believe that if you are towing skiers you should fit a prop guard

Providing your'e not flying a PFC pennant then I am sure the Harbour Masters will leave you alone

Have Fun Stuart
Old 14 March 2003, 13:20   #8

John I am not surprised you had problems waterskiiing Your COG is too high. Your's supposed to have a low COG for waterskiing.

and they don't come much lower than mine
Old 14 March 2003, 13:29   #9

And another couple of points,

The RNLI do a good free safety check. I think it's called sea safety and you get quite a lot of useful literature from it. Likewise the MCA has got good info.

If you need lifejackets and flares and stuff then I have found Allgadgets to be damn good value

Also if you do a search on the new boat owner we have all told people what they need to do and get kit wise. I am sure that you can find some good input at the Folly on a Sunday afternoon also.

I am so glad you are getting a RIB cos the last few people who asked for advice bought Condoms instead.

Cheers
Stuart
Old 14 March 2003, 16:13   #10

Town: Ardnamurchan
Boat name: Out of the Blue
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 100
MMSI: 235 079 253
An important thing to remember when towing rings is that when the boat turns suddenly (say to avoid an object in the water) the ring continues in a straight line but at a higher speed. Hence you find that 3rd party insurance for rings is higher than skis. Keep a good look out and you wont have any problems and it is great fun.
We wakeboard behind our rib with the rope attached to the A frame and have a lot of fun.
Old 14 March 2003, 16:46   #11
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Re: Re: Re: New Ribster

Quote:
Originally posted by Simon Guest
How does this happen? Did you get tangled up in the tow rope? Is that unusual?
Didn't get tangled up, just battered against the wakeboard . . .

John
Old 14 March 2003, 17:38   #12

Town: Salisbury
Length: 5m +
Skiing

Point 1: Buy seconhand- boat jumbles / boot sales or ads
Point 2: Two tow eyes and a V shape rope with pulley & float
More ideal is a removable ski pole but more expensive
Point 3: No dont bother your well qualified already just use common sense-read a book from library on skiing
point 4: If you get up at 4.00 am in the morning you might find Lee on Solent flat enough to ski-otherwise a total waste of time as far too rough.

Top of Southampton water ( Test) will be flat ( you launch at Eling slip to get to it-saves loads of fuel getting to it) when there are no other boats around

7.00 am mid week

otherwise it is well known and well used so you will have the problem of loads of boat wash and trying to miss loads of boats

also great place to do your prop in , dont forget to miss the submerged wreck

If you seek flat water for skiing forget the sea, you might find two days a year when its a millpond- most other days you will frustrated by the waves & wash- better to just go sightseeing in your rib

Ringo & wakeboard / kneeboard is better in waves
Point 5: Go for dry berthing otherwise you will need antifoul
Poit 6: You will need something to recover
Bare minimum is a folding transom step , or could purchase plastic tube / rope ladder otherwise go for an expensive stainless ladder if you have space