Old 27 May 2005, 16:51   #1

Town: Fleet
Boat name: Mollie J
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115HP Suzuki
MMSI: 235021476
Note to parents ...

Yesterday, off West Winner, a couple of young lads (probably 17/18 & 14/15) managed to turtle their 420. F4 south-westerly with an ebbing tide at 4-6 knots in 18ft of water ... a bit choppy. In the process they lost their rudder, but had not completed that part of the course that taught rudderless sailing. No bailer, no paddles, no whistle, no flares, no radio, and surprisingly for ones so young no mobile. A 5ft painter, and buoyancy tanks that leaked like a colander. No-one on shore appeared to be aware of their likely return time or their predicament.

Fortunately a passing RIB, noticed, tied them on and returned them to the public slip at Eastney from which they'd launched. No harm done.

My boys sail. One is an RYA instructor, but even then I keep a quiet eye on the boat (when did it last have a buoyancy test for example), the equipment on board, likely launch/recovery times, etc. etc.

Sailing is a great sport, and through it my children have met and made some "lifelong" friendships. They've learned self-reliance and had a valuable taste of danger. All very positive.

Many RIB owners have, I know, children who sail. With the summer coming on, it's perhaps time (if you haven't done it already) to check out the boat. Review the safety and passage planning procedures with them, and make sure that your children enjoy their sailing.

Russell