Old 06 November 2008, 09:07   #1

Town: Lymington
Boat name: rib-it
Make: Scopion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
Not wearing a kill cord

Looking throw motorboat and yachting this mourning I came across an article about the windy 760 and in the pictures where the boat been driven by someone clearly not wearing a lifejacket or kill cord.

Do you think that Magazine editors should start saying that if the skipper is not wearing lifejackets or kill cords the picture will not go in?

www.rib-it.com
simonnud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 November 2008, 09:48   #2

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonnud View Post
Looking throw motorboat and yachting this mourning I came across an article about the windy 760 and in the pictures where the boat been driven by someone clearly not wearing a lifejacket or kill cord.

Do you think that Magazine editors should start saying that if the skipper is not wearing lifejackets or kill cords the picture will not go in?
Motion seconded.
Old 06 November 2008, 10:24   #3

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonnud View Post
Absolutely not, go down that road and soon it'll be no photo's of rainy days without full weather gear, or sunny days without floppy hat and tee shirt. Surely we have enough restrictions on fun without adding more. Besides, every situation is different, and surely we're adult enough to decide when a life jacket is needed!
Old 06 November 2008, 10:41   #4

Town: Alderney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
Absolutely not, go down that road and soon it'll be no photo's of rainy days without full weather gear, or sunny days without floppy hat and tee shirt. Surely we have enough restrictions on fun without adding more. Besides, every situation is different, and surely we're adult enough to decide when a life jacket is needed!
Nay nay Mr Wilks, we are not talking about legislation here are we? Just that magazine should be setting the right example.

Lifejackets and kill cords are pretty important, no self respecting glossy should be seen to be disagreeing with me.
Old 06 November 2008, 10:43   #5

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
and surely we're adult enough to decide when a life jacket is needed!
I find myself in agreement with you, however what does one do when somebody isn't quite a grown up
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	045.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	38656  
Old 06 November 2008, 11:14   #6

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by malthouse View Post
Lifejackets and kill cords are pretty important, no self respecting glossy should be seen to be disagreeing with me.
Perhaps you have a point, but it's not only magazines, brochures as well. Take for example this pic from a well known cruise line, don't they realise the danger they're putting these folks in without issuing correct safety gear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lido_deck.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	38657  
Old 06 November 2008, 11:28   #7

Town: Lymington
Boat name: rib-it
Make: Scopion
Engine: Suzuki 250
I think that the thing to remmber here is that if you where to fall of your boat without wearing a kill cord the boat becomes a weapon which is able to kill inocent people that may sound harsh but we have all seen fotage of Calshot lifeboat trying to stop a rib and i have seen a scorpion on top of the sea wall in lymington.

This is not about protecting the person in the boat but other people as well i could not give a hoot if you want to hurt youself by being silly enought not to wear the right equipment.

Also the people who conduct the tests on the boats we see in the Mags are ment in my view to be profesional people whos opinon is respected and so maybe they should be setting the right example.

www.rib-it.com
simonnud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 November 2008, 11:54   #8

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Atlantics and D class's don't have kill cords....
Old 06 November 2008, 12:16   #9

Town: cookoo land
Boat name: tba
Make: ribcraft 595
Length: under 3m
Engine: Suzi 140
Rya

I have even seen the odd picture in 'wavelength' and other RYA publications, featuring powerboats underway without the driver wearing a 'safety lanyard' or PFD or keeping a hand on the throttle. (I don't think the RYA like using the word 'KILL' (cord) anymore when talking about powerboat safety)

One of them even featured the RYA's Chief Powerboat Instructor!

Set an example wherever you can in my view!
Old 06 November 2008, 12:29   #10

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post
... somebody isn't quite a grown up
Harsh.......but fair.
Old 06 November 2008, 12:45   #11

Town: Douglas
Whilst I am not in a position to legislate on the use of 'Kill Cords' or the wearing of life jackets in 'small' powerboats, as an RYA Instructor I am firmly of the view that both are essential aids in the Safety Management Process.

I am not aware of any situations where lives have been saved or injuries avoided when kill cords and/or lifejackets were not utilised. However, many people have fortunately survived incidents where they have been in use.
I also believe that the majority of us on this forum are extremely responsible and, consequently, utilise kill cords and life jackets.

Regarding the public display of these items I was somewhat concerned to see that many of the support boats at this year's Olympic Games appeared not to be using these safety aids.
Old 06 November 2008, 12:45   #12
alt

Town: Galway, West Eire
Make: Cranchi
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2 x Volvo KAD300
Send a message via MSN to alt
According to MBY's editor, that's a stock photo from the manufacturers website
Old 06 November 2008, 12:46   #13
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Perhaps you have a point, but it's not only magazines, brochures as well. Take for example this pic from a well known cruise line, don't they realise the danger they're putting these folks in without issuing correct safety gear.

Dentu-grip?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 November 2008, 12:50   #14

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
I have to add myself to the "don't set a bad example" camp. Simon summed it up perfectly.

Even the engine makers have wised up. as a random example - here's a page from a 1977 Johnson catalogue - http://www.old-omc.de/j_1977/seite_18.jpg. No kill cords or lifejackets in sight! I guarantee in any engine sales brochure now everyone has a PFD and the driver is "attatched".

Of interest I have one of these Johnson 25s built in '72 - It isn't even fitted with a kill switch - it has (had) a big red "stop" button. I have removed said big red button & replaced it with a deadman switch / cord.
Old 06 November 2008, 12:54   #15

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Length: 6m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Ok, I'm sold a kill cord is a good idea. Can someone "in the know" explain how to fit a kill cord for all those of us that have a RIB with no cord. Does it need a new switch? Wiring etc.
Old 06 November 2008, 13:09   #16
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.mccrirrick View Post
Ok, I'm sold a kill cord is a good idea. Can someone "in the know" explain how to fit a kill cord for all those of us that have a RIB with no cord. Does it need a new switch? Wiring etc.
You'll probably need to fit one to the console if your remotes don't have one. It's easy on a 2-stroke. There's a circuit that is made when the ignition is turned off which kills the engine-get the multitester out and look for it on the ignition wiring.

Wire the kill cord so it makes that circuit when you pull the cord off.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 November 2008, 14:47   #17

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
but dont forget that if you do have a kill ,,,sorry engine stop cord fitted you need to carry a spare one ,,after all we dont want to drift too far away from the boat if the only kill cord is on the person in the water and the boat cannot get back to recover you. on outboards without them you could always rig the throttle so if you let it go it goes to tick over with a spring or bungie cord.
Old 06 November 2008, 15:05   #18

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
The second 'kill'cord is always vital on my boats - the opti has a system where the cord will stop the engine , but you can switch it back on without a cord. My yam turns of , but has somehting I have never understood in that you can re-start it in a certain amount of time without the cord. I guess its to be sure that if you need to get going again in bad weather you dont need to get the helm back in the boat first - you can actually go & get them.

I have a second on both in an easily accesible place , but really only to be used by someone who can actually drive the boat safely- I dont want someone trying to help who runs me over by accident !
Old 06 November 2008, 15:10   #19
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:
I'm note sure that I'd put the Saga Rose in the same category as a Windy 760. You would need to be pushed off a cruise ship (a tempting thought in its own right!) but the helm seat on the Windy looks as precarious as most RIBs.

John
Old 06 November 2008, 15:29   #20

Town: Oakland CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by malthouse View Post
Nay nay Mr Wilks, we are not talking about legislation here are we? Just that magazine should be setting the right example.

"Right example" is a pretty subjective statement.

You could argue that seatbelts should always be shown being worn (as per law now, in most places), but just as readily argue that helmets should be worn as well, as they will lessen head trauma in the event of an accident. That would be the "right example" to set. I doubt we'll see too many Lexus ads showing a woman in an evening gown climbing out of her car at a 5-star restaurant and pulling off her Shoei.

That said, use of a kill-cord is fairly easy insurance. As is a lifejacket. I wear both, unless I'm in dive gear, when I do not wear a lifejacket.

I do have a problem with a US commercial (Go Boating) which shows a number of boats with dogs. The ad focuses on the great time dogs have on the water. None of the dogs are wearing PFDs. Since a dog is a) incapable of making the decision, b) not in control of the activity, and c) probably not getting paid to appear in the ad, they could have had the PFD's on them.

I guess the problem I have is that you are trying to control what the magazine publishes. Perhaps a letter to the editor would be in order, rather than lambasting them in a forum.

jky