Old 11 March 2009, 16:13   #81

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
I know it's shocking. There was a programme on the other day and it showed a kid on a boat not wearing a lifejacket. He was running around the deck and then he actually jumped in the water!!!

I couldn't believe what I was seeing - he did a strange thrashing sort of motion and then pulled himself back onto the boat. There were quite a few other people doing the same thing. There should be laws against this - they even seemed to be enjoying it!!!

Now Codders, mostly I think you "Gob off" without engaging brain first... but I was more than a little amused by this post....
Old 11 March 2009, 16:14   #82

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
I know it's shocking. There was a programme on the other day and it showed a kid on a boat not wearing a lifejacket. He was running around the deck and then he actually jumped in the water!!!

I couldn't believe what I was seeing - he did a strange thrashing sort of motion and then pulled himself back onto the boat. There were quite a few other people doing the same thing. There should be laws against this - they even seemed to be enjoying it!!!
Codders - to enlighten some on the forum - this is known as ' Swimming' & 'Fun' and has not needed a lifejacket since it was invented some time ago - however due to mans continuing evolution we are now not able to do this without 150N of bouyancy strapped to us. Just looking at water is now deadly - where as 20 years ago it was a safe occupation

It has in the past even been allowed without a H&S assesment & fully trained & certified lifeguard present - can you believe it !
Old 11 March 2009, 16:18   #83
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
Now Codders, mostly I think you "Gob off" without engaging brain first... but I was more than a little amused by this post....
Aye - quite possibly his best post to date

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackroady View Post
It has in the past even been allowed without a H&S assesment & fully trained & certified lifeguard present - can you believe it !
I quite often think - can you imagine if they tried to invent the car today: it would never be allowed, especially not on roads with pedestrians and no barriers. The same is probably true for outboard motors. An unguarded propellor - you can't do that...
Old 11 March 2009, 16:44   #84

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
Actually it was the opposite. Normally I will never post without checking every little fact first. This time I just let it flow - maybe I should do it more often..............
Old 11 March 2009, 17:41   #85

Town: Nantes
Boat name: A l'Attaque
Make: Sea-Way
Length: 6m +
Engine: Not here yet
I'm starting to get worried, you are all (including Codprawn) being sarcastic, aren't you ?
Old 11 March 2009, 22:26   #86

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
I'm starting to get worried, you are all (including Codprawn) being sarcastic, aren't you ?
Nope .. just a reality check .. but codders is still with a bit of so thats good to know
Old 12 March 2009, 08:37   #87

Monthly reality checks should become law on forums (its a joke, think about it !)
Old 12 March 2009, 14:40   #88

Town: Saltash, Cornwall
Make: Rib less:-(
Length: no boat
mean while back at the round house, how many of you when solo have the engine running in neutral without the kill cord on, when you are undoing mooring lines etc. I know I do.

Also it used to be standard on the old safety boat Level 4 course long since replaced to not kill the engine when you were doing an man overboard if you were in a situation where if the old 2 stroke failed to start again you would be in more danger. With the advent of more reliable engines this has been phased out.
Rgds
Jelly
Old 12 March 2009, 14:52   #89

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
The engines "may" be more reliable but are the electrics? Modern engines have all sorts of extra electronics that really have no place at sea.

I still think that killing the engine is not a good idea - especially when you have more than 1 person to pick up from the water.

Our waters are seldom calm and still - wind and tide can be a real pain and if you are recovering near rocks or cliffs the last thing you want to do is knock the engine off.
Old 12 March 2009, 15:13   #90

I never turn the engine off unless I know the achor is in & holding, or I am tied to something solid ( like the land) .

What allowed the engine to start can easily fail after an hour of banging around in bad weather. I have however found that my opti will run even if I switch the batteries off ( i did by accident on the mooring the other day - going from bat 1 to both) - so thats reassuring !
Old 12 March 2009, 16:16   #91
exspyrd trayd membir

Town: inn wiliks hed
Make: Redbay 6.5
Engine: Twin Etec 90hp
Quote:
my opti will run even if I switch the batteries off so thats reassuring !
verry reashewering.

wonna bi a spair altirnaytor
Old 12 March 2009, 16:20   #92

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly View Post
mean while back at the round house, how many of you when solo have the engine running in neutral without the kill cord on, when you are undoing mooring lines etc. I know I do.

Rgds
Jelly

But that's why you have an interlock isn't it?
Old 13 March 2009, 09:39   #93

Town: Saltash, Cornwall
Make: Rib less:-(
Length: no boat
Stu
By interlock, do you mean the grip lock on neutral so you can't knock it into gear?
If so, nope I have central gear shift in the middle of the console,so being careful is the order of the day.
Rgds
James
Old 13 March 2009, 09:42   #94

Just noticed in the picture of the new Scorpion Sting in RIB mag that the driver seems to have no hands on the wheel & not wearing a lifejacket ! hahahahahahahahaha - that cant be RYA approved can it ?
Old 13 March 2009, 13:19   #95

Quote:
Just noticed in the picture of the new Scorpion Sting in RIB mag that the driver seems to have no hands on the wheel
Autopilot ?
Old 13 March 2009, 17:41   #96

Town: cookoo land
Boat name: tba
Make: ribcraft 595
Length: under 3m
Engine: Suzi 140
Careful BR.....you will have some of the free thinking Jocs down on you like a tonne of bricks!!!!!!!!!
Old 13 March 2009, 23:28   #97

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly View Post
I do but mine has an interlock on the throttle so it is relatively safe. Not sure if I would if it didn't have that. As it is I ALWAYS have the engine running when undoing mooring lines having once made the mistake of casting off and then finding the 'kin engine wouldn't start which nearly landed me on a very rocky nearby beach in a strong onshore wind!

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2009, 00:40   #98
RIBnet supporter

Town: Belfast
Boat name: Cait
Make: Humber
Engine: 90hp Opti
RIBase
Quote:
The second 'kill'cord is always vital on my boats - the opti has a system where the cord will stop the engine , but you can switch it back on without a cord. My yam turns of , but has somehting I have never understood in that you can re-start it in a certain amount of time without the cord. I guess its to be sure that if you need to get going again in bad weather you dont need to get the helm back in the boat first - you can actually go & get them.

I have a second on both in an easily accesible place , but really only to be used by someone who can actually drive the boat safely- I dont want someone trying to help who runs me over by accident !

Just putting in my tuppence worth on this very informative and important topic - even so it is wildly humorous reading it all!

I fully agree that a killcord is essential on a rib. Just as a lifejacket is. I agree with Blackroady also - how many of us have a spare so WE can be rescued? To be honest here I do not! Even though my Opti can be fired up again without one and I do tell crew about it everytime we go out. However I agree I do need a spare (Do you have any in stock for the Humber Jono?)
Old 14 March 2009, 11:12   #99

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
I have a spare one in the console but as I am often the only one in the boat it frequently won't assist in me being picked up

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote