Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Quote:
Originally Posted by malthouse View Post
No one is suggesting compulsory engine stop cords or lifejackets,
The Port of London Authority is suggesting exactly that!!!
Old 07 November 2008, 21:47   #42

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
It may be possible to enforce carrying them in certain areas under port authority but how could they possibly enforce the use of them?
Laws are only of use if it is possible to enforce them and this one is unenforcable plus it would take a sea change (excuse the pun) in attitude to make leisure boating subject to most law and be obeyed by most folk.
It is one of the few relatively areas of life that you are still in control of your risks without major H&S bullshit, not sure how they would get round this?
Old 07 November 2008, 23:10   #43

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: XS700
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 HP
Kill chords / regulations

I am a great believer in kill chords and stand behind the idea to the extent that is a two strikes sacking offence at my centre.

However I am not just looking at our instructors being safe but also setting a good example hence the particularly strict approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJL View Post
The Port of London Authority is suggesting exactly that!!!
I believe these sort of regulations are the very reason that common sense is dying. If you take away people decision making then they do not develop common sense.

As much as I believe all drivers should wear kill chords in small open powerboats when making way I don’t believe it should be law.

Our sport is comparatively un legislated and in fact there are very few major incidents. We can all name some famous headline cases of rare accidents and all post links to the Calshot lifeboat having to ram a RIB that was minding its own business going round in circles; however I don’t think regulation is the solution or required.

As already said it would help if supposed professionals helped by setting a good example in their magazines.
Old 08 November 2008, 09:22   #44
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
(Regrettably) I am old enough to remember the introduction of compulsory:

Seatbelt use (front and back seat!) in cars
Passenger side wing-mirrors in cars
Headrests in cars
Restriction of children to back seats in cars
and Lifejacket use in small craft
(all above in Irish Republic)

We complained bitterly about the introduction of all of these, and cited common sense, nanny stateism etc... but all the legislation has saved numerous lives since, despite our objections to it.

I'd happily add Killcord use to the list
Old 08 November 2008, 09:46   #45

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Surely keeping one hand on the throttle at all times is a good safety requirement. I've a few people in photos and at sea who set the throttle then just hold on!
Old 08 November 2008, 11:04   #46

Town: Kent
Boat name: No name
Make: No boat
Engine: No boat
Kill Cords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackroady View Post
Yes 100% - smaller fletcher type ski boats - no chance of a kill cord/ lifejacket. Users seem to prefer wet demin to keep them afloat & general poor maintainence to stop the engine. If they drown the 15 cans of special brew will stop them feeling anything.

BIG BIG cruisers types - They will never fall off & as they dont ever do more the 2 knots they will swim to catch up- if they drown they wont feel anything due to the amount of GIN in thier system.

OK - General sweeping statement but I am guessing we have all seen the types alluded to ?
They are two ridiculous statements to make, I am a member at an average size waterskiing club and it is not a rule to wear a killcord of lifejacket, but nearly ALL DO!!! You are trying to say that all ski boat owners go out in jeans with a crate of beer?

My parents also had a sunseeker manhattan 52 kept in the Carribean a few years ago. To say that all cruiser owners only do two knots is stupid.
Old 08 November 2008, 11:30   #47
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteknight View Post
they are two ridiculous statements to make, i am a member at an average size waterskiing club and it is not a rule to wear a killcord of lifejacket, but nearly all do!!! You are trying to say that all ski boat owners go out in jeans with a crate of beer?

My parents also had a sunseeker manhattan 52 kept in the carribean a few years ago. To say that all cruiser owners only do two knots is stupid.
I think you need to RTFP....

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 November 2008, 11:52   #48

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Nos - what does RTFP mean ? ?????

Whitenight - my comments were not aimed at anyone specific ( ie you parents) - just trying to give a nod of the head to the types that do fall into those categories ............. personal experience shows me that there a lot of people that come close to the 2 areas I meant - anyone seen the latest RIB magazine - with ' superyacht tender' - howmany poeple in ANY of those pics have a lifejacket on ?

I will admit that not ALL fletcher type ski boats are run by dickheads , but I see alot near me that have no idea what safety even means - let alone do anything about it. They are the ones I end up towing in around 4-5 pm !

Ribbers can also be dickheads ! Me included ( there no favouritism ! )

See --- me 50Kts - no lifejacket - not clever !
Old 08 November 2008, 11:58   #49
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Nos - what does RTFP mean ? ?????
erm, Read The Full () Post
Quote:

Ribbers can also be dickheads !
I'll have you know that I resemble that remark!
Old 08 November 2008, 12:05   #50

Thanks willk ! All crystal clear -I thought it may be something like that ...........
Old 08 November 2008, 13:24   #51
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
When on motor yachts with enclosed wheel houses it doesn't seem like you need to wear one as there's a wall and doors between you and the open. The trouble is then that you can forget to put a jacket on when you nip outside to get something.
I had a bad experience coming up from victoria dock, caernarfon to Fleetwood.
It was a nice calm day going through the menia straights, as we went past the pier and dickies yard I left everyone on the fly bridge to go and make a bacon butty and a brew. We came around the north side of Puffin island and I was climbing the open backed ladder to the fly bridge when we suddenly hit very deep swells as the sea hit the mouth of the river. I was flung off the side of the boat but managed to hold on with my left hand. Looked abit like I'd just star jumped off the boat As the boat then came violently back up I was catapulted back onto the boat, ending in a heap just under the davits. First thing I thought was I didn't have a life jacket on and screamed blue murder to everyone up top to make sure they still had there's on.
Old 09 November 2008, 16:32   #52

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I remember reading an article by the late Shaun White - one of the true fathers of ribbing. I remember people having a go at him when he said that there ARE some situations when a kill cord is not a good idea.

For example in very rough seas - at slow speeds - when there is a very real danger that sudden engine failiure could result in being swept onto rocks or a sudden broaching. of course you also need a few good crewmembers who could take over at short notice. It seems to me the RNLI share that idea.
Old 09 November 2008, 17:50   #53
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
So do you mean if the helm goes OB? Or in rough seas the helm gets chucked about and the kill cord comes out? If it's the last one it's something I hadn't thought about. In that case it would have to be case of making a decision on the spot as to whether to unhook it or not. Very good point
Old 09 November 2008, 19:23   #54

But surely if you go overboard in rough seas putting the killcord in a freezer bag will keep it safe?
Old 09 November 2008, 19:28   #55
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
But surely if you go overboard in rough seas putting the killcord in a freezer bag will keep it safe?
BruceB, there's a Special Place in Hell for you, just next to the Bankers. I'm still not over that

PS I assume you're only Codding?
Old 09 November 2008, 20:20   #56

WillK - relax !
Old 09 November 2008, 20:22   #57

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
along with the spare one .
Old 09 November 2008, 20:25   #58

The killcords need to be in seperate freezer bags for redundancy and not in the same bag. Plus a third one for the mobile.........................
Old 09 November 2008, 20:27   #59

following on from the cord in a freezer bag - I assume the electronic kill system I read about is properly waterproof ? Anyone have any experience of using it. ( I cant remember the name of the system)
Old 09 November 2008, 22:25   #60

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP View Post
It was a nice calm day going through the menia straights, as we went past the pier and dickies yard I left everyone on the fly bridge to go and make a bacon butty and a brew. We came around the north side of Puffin island and I was climbing the open backed ladder to the fly bridge when we suddenly hit very deep swells as the sea hit the mouth of the river. I was flung off the side of the boat but managed to hold on with my left hand. Looked abit like I'd just star jumped off the boat As the boat then came violently back up I was catapulted back onto the boat, ending in a heap just under the davits. First thing I thought was I didn't have a life jacket on and screamed blue murder to everyone up top to make sure they still had there's on.
Did you spill your tea?