Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
When this happened last year the blame was put on the aerial pole and to their credit they did repair it FOC.
To ensure it couldn't happen again the pole was shortened by 14" and a brace to the deck welded in at the height of the transom top. There is now NO flexing unless the deck is moving as well and there is a problem there.
It is also considerably more rigid now than the A Frames they sell themselves and has little weight on the top anyway.
The giveaway here that it isn't anything to do with the pole is the fact that the crack has started under the engine again and is working its way out, its a weird fault that starts away from a cause and works towards it on the other side of a knee!
I'll wait to see what they say on monday but it is not encouraging on a RIB only coming up for 110 hours use, the engine is only coming up for its first full service!
Because this repair has already been completed once before it's safe to say that a similar repair would be pointless? You'd be constantly checking for a re-occurance? I followed your build thread when you first got the boat, as you meticulously set-about rigging it. Damn fine job too.

Obviously wait to see what Humber say. Worst-case scenario, are we talking about a transom rebuild here? Humber should include your transportation fuel costs, overnight accommodation to drop off, etc. The light-pole is a red herring. I just can't see how this would stress the transom, especially as you have a Soozie 90hp hanging off the back of it already.

Keep us posted, and hopefully this gets resolved amicably.
Old 15 February 2011, 13:57   #22

Town: STOKE
Boat name: Humma
Make: Humber Destoyer 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: Out b 75 hp Marriner
MMSI: 235068231
RIBase
trying to help

Hi Bruce
sorry to read of your problems,remember going out with you conwy 2009should have been I O M .
Looked a nice build and you set the boat up well.
If you dont get any joy,with total transom rebuild,How about a stainless steel sandwich to give strength and looks,Just an idea
stuart and topbanna
Old 15 February 2011, 14:57   #23

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by stul View Post
How about a stainless steel sandwich to give strength and looks,Just an idea
stuart and topbanna
Can't think of a reason for that! Besides GRP wouldn't stick to stainless!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2011, 15:41   #24

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by stul View Post
Looked a nice build and you set the boat up well.
Humber seem to think so, it advertises the 5.8m hull size on their website!
I am awaiting a reply, so far just aknowledgment of my email. I'll give it few days and see what happens before getting all Mr Angry.
Old 15 February 2011, 17:32   #25

Town: STOKE
Boat name: Humma
Make: Humber Destoyer 5.5
Engine: Out b 75 hp Marriner
MMSI: 235068231
RIBase
A Tidy Repair

Hi again
Stainless steel plates either side would make a good looking strong repair that would stop the problem from getting worse. 2m/m should do it
Old 15 February 2011, 18:03   #26

It really shouldn't be necessary on a couple of year old hull that hasn't been abused!
Old 15 February 2011, 20:36   #27

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
It really shouldn't be necessary on a couple of year old hull that hasn't been abused!
No .. it shouldn't ..

Im trusting Humber will do the right thing for ya fella .... Its all the hassle in the mean time though .. I guess some of these things are sent to try us .. configuring boats has never been a straightforward business (was that an understatement ? )
Old 22 February 2011, 22:55   #28

Still waiting to get a solid response from Humber. Still hopeful at the moment they will resolve it but I suppose the next few days will tell whether it will be solved reasonably or will start involving other "professional folk"........
Old 06 March 2011, 15:06   #29

Town: Newcastle Staffs
Boat name: blue it
Make: ribcraft 7.5
Length: 7m +
Engine: suzuki df225
Send a message via AIM to Top banana
Hi Bruce, any resolution to your plight yet.
Old 07 May 2011, 17:21   #30
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
So from your IoM post it sounds like you've got the boat back... ...did Humber sort it for you?
Old 07 May 2011, 18:30   #31

Yes...........and No.

The transom has been repaired but I had them do some other work while it was there.
The transom seems fine but the additional work I paid for was so shoddy I've had to take it all off and do it again.

Added to this the boat wasn't ready when I arrived to pick it up, again!

I don't want to go into minute detail but this is the second new Humber I have bought over the years and there will never be another one, nor would I now recommend them as a quality manufacturer any longer as I would have done in the past.

None of this isn't anything I didn't email them once I got home last week and inspected the work, to which email they didn't bother to reply.

If I have any other problems I'll get them fixed locally, at least I have some sort of chance it may be done right............
Old 08 May 2011, 07:23   #32

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
RIBase
We had this happen to a new Humber 8m on our Dry Stack. Cracks looked identical to your picture, but from both sides! We repaired it here on site as the owner didn't trust taking it back to Humber. To be fair to Humber, they did offer to repair it FOC if we delivered it back to them. I'll try and dig out some pics.
Old 08 May 2011, 09:50   #33

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
I think this is so sad. When we bought 'Moon Raker' in 2000, the factory certainly had the atmosphere of an old established, solid family business - no fancy offices, slightly old fashioned (they still used typewriters and carbons, though there were some computers about). The sort of place you knew you'd get a good job done, even if it may not be quite as shiny as some others.

And so it proved. In 10 years of quite hard use nothing has broken, nothing come unscrewed, nuts and bolts are still tight, nothing has come unglued or unstuck, tubes don't leak, they're still attached to the hull.

I wonder if the blame lay in 'modernisation' - a change in emphasis? I did wonder, when the company seemed to move away from boats built like brick thingies that could survive divers chucking all their kit in, towards the 'leisure' market. In my experience things 'leisure' are built to last six weeks - if that.
Old 08 May 2011, 11:49   #34

My opinion is that build quality has dramatically dropped, my old dive club still has the same 5.8 Destroyer that they bought 15 years ago and had no issues. The only major work it has had in that time is remotoring to a 4s about 6 years ago.
This attached video has p**sed me off, the reason I kept being told that caused my problems was that I didn't have an A frame but had fitted a pole at the rear for the light and aerials, just like this one through Quinqari...........

I wonder why their unbraced longer version is fine and no problem but mine kept breaking the transom according to the factory...............
Old 08 May 2011, 12:22   #35

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
I wonder why their unbraced longer version is fine and no problem but mine kept breaking the transom according to the factory...............
Because whoever said that was talking bollox

If the transom can withstand nigh on quarter of a ton of engine hanging off it bouncing along, not to mention the torsional force created by the thrust, a light pole that you can pick up with one hand can't possibly cause a problem unless maybe you built it out of Unobtanium and then clouted it on a very low bridge!

I have always wondered how the transom and hull are attached (on any RIB - presumably they are all much the same idea) when they are built from scratch? If there is a problem with transom attachment is it realistically possible to fix it properly without cutting half of the boat off, in which case it's probably better to just cut your losses and build a new hull?

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 September 2011, 09:58   #36

Make: Avon R280 Tender
Length: under 3m
Engine: Me Rowing!
Sorry to bump an old thread but this doesn't make for good reading. I am thinking of buying a new or near new 5.8M or 6M Destroyer (whats the difference in .2 of a meter...I see the classification is different, whats the significance?) but this is not good reading and must say it has stopped me in my tracks a bit for a Humber particularly the lack of proper aftercare. I would have had them pick it up from my house to get it sorted and I am amazed they have not responded to this thread as Ribcraft did when one of their RIBs was found to have a problem Not good and certainly takes the edge of buying. You invest in reputation, build quality and after sale care - all of which seems to be wholly lacking.

I wonder if you could get the commercial branch of Humber to build one?

What was the outcome Bruce if you don't mind me asking? I am know going to look into alternative marques
Old 07 September 2011, 10:19   #37
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagato View Post
I wonder if you could get the commercial branch of Humber to build one?
If you mean Quinquari, they don't actually build hulls, but rather bolt the bits on and do the outfitting. I've always found them nice to talk to - reliable for buying bits and bobs from. Quite thoughtful types, in fact...
Old 07 September 2011, 10:27   #38

Make: Avon R280 Tender
Length: under 3m
Engine: Me Rowing!
Thanks for that, I might give them a call to see if they have had any hull problems. I will also queston Humber on the issue