Old 23 June 2013, 17:00   #1

Town: Northumberland
Boat name: Northern Storm
Make: North Diver?
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 90 Autolube
MMSI: 235096344
Northern Storms progress

Hi folk, not had chance due to house decorating and new job on windfarms but finally got the seats that I bought off ribnet members ed_dash & Miller refurbed and glassed onto deck, not the greatest pic but need idea of what to do with glassed 100mm upstand and deck?
Do I get it flo coated or would a 2pack deck paint go straight on if I was to key the deck?

Old 23 June 2013, 17:08   #2

Length: 3m +
Flo coat it. Its cheaper than 2 part anyway, is hard as nails, thicker than 2 part so hopefully more durable and more waterproof...

{edit}
Oh and you'd need to prime the glass I think as the styrene kind of sweats and so I think 2 part would stick and then later blister or peel
{/edit}
Old 23 June 2013, 17:12   #3

wheres cheapest place I can order flocoat from?
Old 23 June 2013, 17:56   #4

I get mine from East Coast Fibre Glass, has the advantage of being local to me but they do deliver - about £7 or 8 extra I think.

Got 2kg the other week and it cost something like £14 for the FlowCoat. Comes with the catalyst

The repackage it from huge drums while you wait and really know what they are talking about. Some useful videos on their website etc. They cal do you pretty much any RAL colour... Plus any additive

I'm not sure the coverage but I'd have *thought* 2kg would do the deck on a <5m Rib. But upping the size doesn't double the cost so get more than you need...
Old 23 June 2013, 18:19   #5

Yeah it is only half hour drive for me as I'm in ashington , is it fairly easy to do yourself then
Old 23 June 2013, 19:10   #6

I guess it depends on the finish you want! But its going over fibreglass that is rough so I guess you aren't aiming for mirror finish.

Mask everything.!!! Its like thick sticky paint and gets everywhere!

Mix the catalyst and flow coat in the required quantites. Mix well. (They can sell you mixing pots etc).

Brush or Roller on. EC will be able to advise best application method. Use disposable brush.

Remove masking on edges .

Wear gloves!!

Buy 1litre Acetone from them to clean up.

Wait to cure (depending on temperature and the amount of catalyst you add thats minutes to hours). Unless you are doing a lot of verticals I'd suggest aim for hours as it gives more working time. If doing a lot of verticals ask EC about additives to thicken it (I've been using Micro Balloons that you'd use in Epoxy with reasonable success).

Remove any other masking...

Job done.

It kind of self levels but its not going to look moulded. If you need that finish its gonna be a LOT harder to achieve.

If you are doing the whole deck... what are you applying it to? Paint will not like it. if its flow coat or gel that needs keyed first. Also think about non-slip additives on the deck - EC will be able to advise.

Their place isn't easy to find so make sure you check google maps or whatever before you go. And don't do what I usually do and pull up at 11:58... they shut at 12:00 sharp on a Saturday and don't like people coming in with a list just before they close as they have to package the stuff up in the size you want not just lift it off the shelf!

It'll take more than half an hour from there to Ashington surely? Is that via the tunnel?
Old 23 June 2013, 19:25   #7

yeah its through the tunnel mate then left through Jarrow, finish wise im happy with a rough finish as at the moment its been painted with a gloss type paint, could be marine paint but not sure, would this all need removing or good to flocoat after a good key and wipe with acetone?
the bare fibreglass will that need undercoating/sealing 1st before flowing?