Old 06 August 2001, 18:13   #1

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
Northern Ireland

More of a qustion at this stage.

Why is it that so many boats from the South of England refuse to leave the confines of the English Channel when there are so many great rib events North of the Isle of Wight!
I have just returned from the Donaghadee Rib raid which was attended by 36 Rib's. This is the third year that I have made my way up to Ireland for this event but as yet apart from myself it is only the Isle of Man boys and girls that come from the South. Ask those who have visited this event,It is the best! Can anyone shed any light on this topic?

Alan
Old 07 August 2001, 16:58   #2

Make: FB 55
Bit of a drag coming all the way from Jersey, plus my new big plastic boat will not be welcome until I can sell it and buy myself a new RIB!
Old 07 August 2001, 17:43   #3
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Hey, don't knock it! Your gin palace has got all sorts of goodies. Like a fridge for the beer. And a roof. It's probably got central heating too.

I can picture it now, a Fairline Targa 30 struggling to make 15 knots because it's full of ribsters keeping dry and having a medicinal beer or two, while half a dozen RIBs are being towed behind

John
Old 08 August 2001, 10:18   #4

Alan,

As you've had very little response to your question, I will let you have the benefit of my opinion which may liven things up a little.

As someone who attends the Donaghadee Rib Raid and other events in the north west, I know that the ribbing we experience in this part of the world is totally different to that which the southerners apparently enjoy.

We have proper seas up here, none of this land-locked smooth stuff. We wouldn't bother getting out of bed to go boating in a 'channel', oh no, we have the Celtic Sea, the Irish Sea and the Atlantic Ocean to play in.

Calm is anything less than a force 4, waves are things you look up at, troughs are deep enough to set the adrenalin flowing, and spray isn't something you put under your arms. Parties don't stop at last orders (or even dawn), men are men, and women understand their role in life.

So to answer your question - why don't the southerners want to join in ?

Well, to put it bluntly, up north we have long suspected that Englanbd south of Watford is populated exclusively by male models and hairdressers who clearly can't handle the rough stuff.

Now I have to say that this is not a theory to which I have personally subscribed. But then, given the lack of response to your question, perhaps I am wrong ........

Marcel
Old 10 August 2001, 19:53   #5

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Marcel,

Funny, on the RB4 challenge the Irish sea was like a millpond whilst the english channel was bloody horrible!

I reckonyou guys like to talk up the bad weather to keep the place to yourselves!
:-)

Alan
Old 10 August 2001, 19:58   #6

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Alan (P)

I do have to say that I know of a couple of Ribsters (one Southern, one Midlands) who, after reading the blurb on the offshore expeditions website, emailled to register for said event and never heard anything back!

Not having a pop (well ok a little one maybe!) but both of these indiviuals elected to do different events in lieu of the Portpatrick-Donhadee challenge because they had no info to go on.

That being said I know both of them would be keen to do it next year if it is being run again?

Alan
Old 13 August 2001, 15:49   #7
Hairdresser

Town: Peel
Boat name: Jane L
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315 Yanmar
MMSI: 235077935
Alan,

I am tempted to remark that I can understand any woman giving you a hard time, but I will restrain myself and just comment on the RNLI training in the Solent, which is something I know more about.

I wonder why the RNLI is based in the Solent?
At one time head office was in London and the depot at Borehamwood, and I guess the need to be on a single site coupled with rising property prices forced a move further from London.

For some reason Poole fitted the bill, and although this location provides easy access to the sea, I can't help thinking that logistically it is not best located for supplying two hundred and odd stations scattered throughout the British Isles.

Training on the Atlantic family of ribs is conducted in the Solent because the ILC is at Cowes.
Why Cowes? Who knows. It probably seemed like a good idea at the time, but my guess is that it will close once the training school is completed in Poole. Within the next five years probably.

As a Manxman I hesitate to include myself with the 'northerners' but my recollection of RNLI training in the Solent is that the only exciting stuff was the Shingle Bank !

Looking forward to Donaghadee 2001. Peter G says that there really will be T shirts - good quality ones too !

Allen
Old 13 August 2001, 23:07   #8

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
Both the Donaghadee rib raid and the Irish Sea Challenge where very difficult to organise in as much as the potential sponsorship for both events went pear shaped.
Never the less, it has to be accepted that the Donaghadee rib raid is always a huge success and to get 36 boats entered without any publication or notice shows that it has a cult following. This forum will now enable easy access to events so keep loking for next years date ( it is normaly 1 week after the Drumcree Riots if that is a help)
As for Big seas and Northern women knowing their place, I might have to disagree, I have been maried to two Northern lasses and both gave me a hard time! As for big seas, try boating in the Solent on a bad day, why do you think the RNLI carry out all the training down there.

Alan