Old 16 February 2010, 15:18   #1

Length: 6m +
Engine: outboard 150
northcraft ribs?

hi could anyone provide opinions or experiences with xs and northcraft ribs? been looking at a few second hand ones but dont really know much about them or their reputations!
thanks in advance
hector.
Old 16 February 2010, 15:43   #2
bob

Town: troon
Boat name: shadow
Make: avon
Length: 4.7
Engine: outboard,70hp
xs or nothcraft

Go for the xs much better built rib
Old 16 February 2010, 15:56   #3

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Go for the xs..........
Not if you want a submarine with a quick-release transom.
Old 16 February 2010, 16:11   #4
bob

Town: troon
Boat name: shadow
Make: avon
Length: 4.7
Engine: outboard,70hp
xs or nothcraft

had one managed to keep the transom though!!!
Old 16 February 2010, 16:41   #5

xs?

have there been problems with xs boats in the past? thanks for the replies btw.
Old 16 February 2010, 16:56   #6

Town: Glasgow
Engine: Yamaha
no, i think he was talking about the northcraft! (No bias intended btw!) there was a thread on a northcraft transom falling off or cracking a wee while back
Old 16 February 2010, 17:47   #7

xs

on the subject of xs how many hours is your engine showing?
Old 16 February 2010, 21:18   #8

Engine: Yamaha
around 700
Old 16 February 2010, 21:31   #9

Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
*breaks cover* Had 3 Northcrafts ..wouldnt have another one .. there are plenty better boats.. try Valliant , was very impressed with the last one I had Cant speak for XS though as I've never used one in anger
Old 16 February 2010, 21:45   #10

Boat name: llyn raider
Make: xs
Length: 7m +
Engine: 1 200hp merc
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Go for the xs much better built rib
you recon? sorry that north craft yea avoid them xs are much better from what iv heard
Old 18 February 2010, 08:24   #11

Town: Bigonvile
Boat name: Black Spy
Make: Northcraft
Engine: Yamaha 150hp
MMSI: 205607010
RIBase
Hello!
I bought a Northcraft 6.3mtr wide body with 150hp three months ago near Hull. Unfortunately I'm still waiting for a correct declaration of conformity for my country from J. Hewitt. They are cheap, the finish is not perfect but I'm working on it. They are light, mine is only 470 Kg without engine. The transom is thin but no cracks...for the moment and hope it'll never happen! Would say not too bad for its price. Never tried XS ribs. You can have a look at my small and not up to date blog in french but no problem for pictures . http://ribpassion.blogspot.com
Old 18 February 2010, 20:15   #12
ADI

Town: scotland
Make: a few
Engine: outboard / inboard
Northcraft

I have had a few Northcrafts and they were fine. I read the thread about the transom cracking not falling off as some suggest. Does a fault in the transom of 1 boat out the range mean all the Northcrafts are rubbish. It seems a bit harsh to me. Does anyone agree ?
Old 18 February 2010, 20:37   #13

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
I think it was more the after sales service that was the problem. Sticking a bit of stainless over the transom simply covered the problem.

Recently on here a member in Norway had problems with his Ribcraft, Jace offered to repair it for free as a good will gesture despite the boat been out of warranty and having a couple of owners.

Jace's response is what Northcraft should have done.
Old 18 February 2010, 20:49   #14
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
I think it was more the after sales service that was the problem. Sticking a bit of stainless over the transom simply covered the problem.

Recently on here a member in Norway had problems with his Ribcraft, Jace offered to repair it for free as a good will gesture despite the boat been out of warranty and having a couple of owners.

Jace's response is what Northcraft should have done.
mmm... ...but there three sides to every story. The Ribcraft owner wasn't happy either though... ...in fairness we've never heard FYM (the dealer) or Northcraft's version of events. So I think ADI has a point.
Old 18 February 2010, 20:55   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
mmm... ...but there three sides to every story. The Ribcraft owner wasn't happy either though... ...in fairness we've never heard FYM (the dealer) or Northcraft's version of events. So I think ADI has a point.
I've spoke to Northcraft and it was as though he didn't want my trade. When I did eventually get through to him he said "I'm playing pool, ring me back tomorrow".

The Ribcraft owner wanted the moon on a stick. He bought the boat blind then complained in public about Ribcraft, Jace offered to repair it if he returned it to base.
Old 18 February 2010, 21:05   #16
ADI

Town: scotland
Make: a few
Engine: outboard / inboard
I agree customer service should be at the fore front of any good business. Without customers there is no business.
I know the boats getting a slagging but I have had no problems with my Northcrafts.
It sounds like the boats taking the brunt of poor customer service from Northcraft or the dealer.The fault with the transom should have been dealt with under warranty no questions asked !

I'm sticking up for the boats, "One bad apple in the barrell does not mean they are all bad"
Old 18 February 2010, 21:12   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADI View Post
I agree customer service should be at the fore front of any good business. Without customers there is no business.
I know the boats getting a slagging but I have had no problems with my Northcrafts.
It sounds like the boats taking the brunt of poor customer service from Northcraft or the dealer.The fault with the transom should have been dealt with under warranty no questions asked !

I'm sticking up for the boats, "One bad apple in the barrell does not mean they are all bad"
I know where your coming from.
The impression I got was he does quite alot of retube work for the oil and gas industry so he was keeping these happy.

The owner of Northcraft is more than aware of the forums and whats been said but he said it s not worth the agro getting involved.
Old 18 February 2010, 21:39   #18

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
I bought a new Northcraft around 15 years ago and John, the owner, couldn't have been more helpful. I've spoken with him more recently and I didn't get the impression that things are any different now. They cater more for the commercial, rather than leisure user, but will build a RIB to the customer's spec. Mine had an under deck locker for water skis and Trickdog on here had one built recently with 2-tone toobs. It's a small company and maybe when times are busy, they don't have the capacity to increase production rates and prefer not to stack up orders.
Old 18 February 2010, 21:50   #19
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
I've spoke to Northcraft and it was as though he didn't want my trade. When I did eventually get through to him he said "I'm playing pool, ring me back tomorrow".
whilst I understand you taking offence at that, some people actually like that candid relaxed approach to business. I'll bet he's not a pushy salesman either. I believe their boats are at the 'affordable' end of the spectrum and so your not paying for a sales and markettting overhead. He just builds boats - and obviously has enough demand not to be desparate for your business - either that or he sussed you weren't actually going to buy a boat

Quote:
The owner of Northcraft is more than aware of the forums and whats been said but he said it s not worth the agro getting involved.
thats probably a wise stance - he could waste a lot of time 'arguing' with people who were never going to buy a Northcraft anyway instead of dealing with real customers.

Quote:
The Ribcraft owner wanted the moon on a stick. He bought the boat blind then complained in public about Ribcraft, Jace offered to repair it if he returned it to base.
We only have Muz's version of events. There was a dealer involved there too (and its technically his responsibility to Northcrafts) and the transom did get repaired in the end; albeit that Muz still wasn't happy.

But the point is - this was Murray's 3rd Northcraft so he had 2 boats he was happy with first. I spoke to a Northcraft owner at the weekend who was perfectly happy with his boat.
Old 18 February 2010, 21:57   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
either that or he sussed you weren't actually going to buy a boat
Yep, just wanted some tubes. The amount of times I rang him he should have sussed I was pretty serious, gave up in the end.