Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 04 April 2008, 14:22   #1

Town: Glasgow
Make: humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: optimax 150
North of scotland cruises/get togethers

There is a new forum for anyone interested in boats of any sort in the Moray firth area.

www.fmbc.power-forums.com

Hopefully we will get cruises and meeting sorted out. Already had one so far, feel free to join
Old 06 April 2008, 21:24   #2

Town: SE England
Iain
What are the benefits of joining FMBC - free use of the slipway perhaps?
SS
Old 08 April 2008, 18:04   #3

Length: 5m +
Moray club

Scoob

FMBC is a point of contact for local boaters (and visitors)to get together and meet like minded people and hopefully make new friends and enjoy their sport. As such the membership fees have been kept at a very low level.

Sorry if this is a bit blunt and formal, our aim is not to charge for profit or sell something but to develop boating.

We are working hard on what you get for your membership. But to be honest what do you get for a tenner? A couple of fun meets and a BBQ got to be worth a go.

www.fmbc.co.uk

Hope you can join us when you come north, either as a member or puerly a visitor you will be most welcome.
Old 08 April 2008, 23:10   #4

Town: Forres
Length: 7m +
I agree with minimerc. What do you get for a tenner!!

I have already joined and paid the tenner for myself and partner. To be honest when I first heard about it I wondered what I got for my tenner!

However after visiting the website and giving it a little thought I reckoned it was so little i'd be daft not to! If i meet one new likeminded person and go on one cruise then i figure i will have got my moneys worth!!

Besides, its not the first! If you join the RYA what do you get? I mean what do you really get? No forum! No trips! And thats waaaaaaay more than a tenner!

All that being said, if its not for you, its not for you! However, if like me you reckon its to good a price to pass up on then great and I hope to see you when you come up to Findhorn

Stewart
Old 09 April 2008, 00:04   #5

Town: Oban (mostly)
Make: Ribcraft, Humber,BWM
Engine: Outboards
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaSkills
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIRO Stewart View Post
Besides, its not the first! If you join the RYA what do you get? I mean what do you really get? No forum! No trips! And thats waaaaaaay more than a tenner!
Not quite fair Stewart.

For the last few years RYA Scotland has been organising cruises and events through it's "Powerboat Scotland" initiative (and there are 3 that I know of planned for this year).

No additional membership fee to pay, you can have an RYA Instructor join you for the trip if you want, and all the passage planning and safety issues taken care of.
Tel; 07525 012 013
SeaSkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 April 2008, 08:46   #6

ok sea skills, i was perhaps a litle harsh and blunt!

I was not in any way trying to belittle or slag the RYA as they are a good organisation that does an awfull lot for boating in the UK and around the world!

In the respect of what the RYA do for boating in general, imho you do get a lot for your money. However, your money doesnt get you free use of a slip for example which is why i mentioned it, I was comparing it to FMBC (totally different organisation I know) in the fact that the RYA is ££ to join and FMBC is only a tenner and if we aalso organise a couple of cruises then imo you've got your tenners worth!

I really was just trying to illustrate a point! Please dont me!!

You mentioned Powerboat Scotland? Was is this? Where can i find out more?

Stewart
Old 09 April 2008, 09:08   #7

Hello again.

Im a RYA instructor!! We have 4 PBIs 1 APBI two SIs in the club, and I am currently amongst other things sorting our rya club affiliation and speaking to powerboat scotland.

Seaskills I agree with you regarding the RYA and its Value I am a personal member. Our club and its members would not be here if not for the help and guidance made available to us by RYA and especialy RYAS.

However what is the furthest northeast cruise organised so far by PBS? Not a problem just be aware we are out on a limb here and are looking to get things going, hopefuly.

Stew ; Pay your RYA membership !! They do alot for us guys and thats worth every penny.
Old 09 April 2008, 09:30   #8

I honestly wasnt trying to slag the RYA! However i think I cocked up in the point i was trying to make My point was.

Its only a tenner!!!!!

Im off to join the RYA!

stew
Old 09 April 2008, 10:08   #9

Stew

You get a discount voucher for membership once you complete a RYA course -- Better book one Quick !

Hear there is a Invergordon trip soon. You going?
Old 09 April 2008, 10:30   #10

Well I am a member of the RYA and have been for 20+years.
My rather simple, or so I thought, question was having looked at the website I thought there was an association with the boatyard.

Sorry to have troubled you
Old 09 April 2008, 11:21   #11

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Kikican
Make: Vipermax 7
Engine: F250 / FT9.9 Aux
Whats it like towing a big rib into Findhorn? Towed my 6m cat to the SC there several times and remembered how tight it was getting in if it was a nice day and there were cars parked along the road. The cat weighs about the same as the fuel I now carry so it wasn't a problem to unhitch and push. With this new boat - no way.

Nearly took the rib there 2 weekends ago but chickened out since I was by myself and would not have had any one to guide or push.

Richard
Old 09 April 2008, 14:55   #12

Hi Richard,

The road is a bit narrow but you should manage without any problems. The tight turn at the PUB is the worst bit. (especialy if you stop for one!!)

If you have any worries give me a shout beforehand and I will be there to guide you or push.

Hope this is of intrest.
Old 09 April 2008, 19:21   #13

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Kikican
Make: Vipermax 7
Engine: F250 / FT9.9 Aux
Know the pub well. Stayed there several times. Findhorn's a great place.

I pull the boat with a navara pick which so far has turned out to be excellent but its about 13 metres from bumper to prop and tight turns are difficult. I have a front ball so could probably go backwards. Could also sneak up the wrong way round the one-way system!

Richard
Old 09 April 2008, 19:58   #14

Town: Huntly
Make: Searider 4.7
Length: 4m +
Engine: 75 Suzuki
I went up the wrong way with an Isuzu Trooper and a 7.3m Northcraft, everyone was very understanding
Old 09 April 2008, 20:14   #15

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANT View Post
I went up the wrong way with an Isuzu Trooper and a 7.3m Northcraft, everyone was very understanding
They wouldnt have had much choice
Old 10 April 2008, 00:01   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Selman View Post
Whats it like towing a big rib into Findhorn? Towed my 6m cat to the SC there several times and remembered how tight it was getting in if it was a nice day and there were cars parked along the road. The cat weighs about the same as the fuel I now carry so it wasn't a problem to unhitch and push. With this new boat - no way.

Nearly took the rib there 2 weekends ago but chickened out since I was by myself and would not have had any one to guide or push.

Richard
It is pretty narrow at the best of times coming through findhorn but you're right, when its busy it becomes a bit daunting. I normally bump up on to the pavement if am at all unsure although i dont think it will bother me in future. Below is the boat myself and minimerc brought to findhorn a couple of weeks ago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimerc
Hear there is a Invergordon trip soon. You going?
Not to invergordon, but to Portmahomack a week on saturday (the 19th) you bet your ass i'll be there! I want to get a decent run!
Old 10 April 2008, 09:42   #17

So do you recommend turning right at the Crown & Anchor then left at the Chip shop or continue on to to the RFYC car park before heading to the boatyard?
S
Old 10 April 2008, 12:52   #18

Yes thats the best way as the turn at the SC is a bit tighter, as alant says though, vehicals going the wrong way up the one way system is fairly normal here. Thats how we get artics with yachts to the boatyard.

If any on has any worries I will meet at end of Findhorn and tow through with the Marina vehicle. (FOC)

Alant - you coming out ribbing next weekend either on your wee one or on one of ours?
Old 10 April 2008, 16:58   #19

Town: Huntly
Make: Searider 4.7
Length: 4m +
Engine: 75 Suzuki
Hi
Yes we will come the next weekend, no time to get little boat finished as to busy with uni work (Boring) So will have to scrounge a lift

I am going to Inverness next Wed 16th so will try to pop in past.

Alan
Old 10 April 2008, 17:43   #20

Hi alan, you are very welcome to "scrounge" a lift. Have a look at the FMBC forum for full details. Look forward to meeting you!