Old 13 January 2002, 19:14   #1

Town: London
Make: Humber Ocean Extreme
Length: 8m
Engine: Optimax 225
Normandy

I'm thinking of a Normandy cruise in the summer; something along the lines of :-

Ramsgate-Calais/Boulogne

-Dieppe (Fecamp maybe)
-Le Havre
-Honfleur
-Trouville/Deauville
- Courseilles
-Grandcamp Maisy
-Cherbourg

I 've done the channel a few times from Ramsgate to Calais and I've been to all the above by land and looked at the ports but not from the sea;does anyone have any tips/advice from personal experience (or even rumour) on the sea trip

I reckon on late June /early July departure.if anyone else is interested in seeing the invasion beaches then come along

Any info would be appreciated-thanks;
Old 15 January 2002, 08:15   #2
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
. . . and what will you do the next day?

Seriously though, this has the makings of a really good week or two of leisurely and interesting cruising.

I'm not sure that I would bother with Boulogne, unless you have a pressing need to start from Ramsgate. I would go for a Solent or Brighton start personally.

For a first channel crossing, Solent to Cherbourg is easy as the route planning is simple (no traffic separation lanes) and Cherbourg is a huge target easy to enter in all conditions. It's obviously longer than Ramsgate-Boulogne but that needn't be a problem.

I don't know Courseilles or Grandcamp Maisy, but the others are all good. St Vaast is worth an overnight stop for good food and drink too.

Fecamp is worth going to; it's got all tides access and a tour of the Benedictine factory is compulsory (along with a bit of sampling!).

This is a good cruising ground, with plenty of options in easy range. A couple of years ago we did a St Vaast to Fecamp for lunch, then back along the Normandy beaches -- as a day trip, which gives an indication of how far you can get without too much trouble!

How about Solent-Cherbourg then along the coast to Fecamp over a few days stopping along the way, then Fecamp to Brighton, then home? That gives all the stops you want, plus a couple of decent offshore passages.

John
Old 15 January 2002, 12:22   #3

Town: London
Make: Humber Ocean Extreme
Length: 8m
Engine: Optimax 225
Thanks John, my only concern on the longer crossings is fuel;the boat has a 40 gallon tank and I have a couple of jerry cans.Since this is a new boat for me I am not yet sure of range under reasonable conditions.That explains my initial plan to do the short crossing.

If in the next few months I feel comfortable on fuel use I would certainly look at the longer route.The other issue is that I am on the Orwell so Ramsgate is a reasonable place to refuel and cross
Old 15 January 2002, 12:50   #4
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
If in the next few months I feel comfortable on fuel use I would certainly look at the longer route.The other issue is that I am on the Orwell so Ramsgate is a reasonable place to refuel and cross
Fair enough! I had assumed that your plan involved trailing to Ramsgate, which always seems to be further than people realise.

Keep us posted with your plans, and perhaps we can organise some other boats to join you -- either from the east coast or from the Solent.

John