Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 27 February 2017, 22:07   #1
ncp
Member
 
ncp's Avatar
 
Country: USA
Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,187
Non-RIB, Cheetah Catamarans

No idea where to post this - I didn't see a miscellaneous category.

What does everyone think of them?

I'm ready to move to a cabin hardboat. My SR 5.4 is still awesome but not family friendly for our new 1 year old daughter and we like to overnight.

Prices seem reasonable. I want something very open and not too yachty. Good cabin. Good ride. I'm ok with low horsepower and an 18-20 knot cruise. A quick search shows some of you have seen them and some of you have captained a few. There are two in Canada but none in the US.

The pilothouses I seem drawn to are all very "commercial" (shocking, I know, since my three ribs have all been ex-commercial). The catamaran pilothouse offerings here in the US are all very leisure oriented. I want a decent cabin with seating and a large back deck for diving, fishing, gear hauling, or setting up chairs and having a cold drink. (I'm also looking for cats from AUS too, and west coast US lobster boats, and US northeast lobster boats.
__________________

__________________
ncp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2017, 06:54   #2
Trade member
 
Andre's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: West Sussex
Boat name: Grey Mist
Make: Parker 800 Baltic
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2xMercury Diesel 170
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,430
Send a message via Skype™ to Andre
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncp View Post
No idea where to post this - I didn't see a miscellaneous category.

What does everyone think of them?

I'm ready to move to a cabin hardboat. My SR 5.4 is still awesome but not family friendly for our new 1 year old daughter and we like to overnight.

Prices seem reasonable. I want something very open and not too yachty. Good cabin. Good ride. I'm ok with low horsepower and an 18-20 knot cruise. A quick search shows some of you have seen them and some of you have captained a few. There are two in Canada but none in the US.

The pilothouses I seem drawn to are all very "commercial" (shocking, I know, since my three ribs have all been ex-commercial). The catamaran pilothouse offerings here in the US are all very leisure oriented. I want a decent cabin with seating and a large back deck for diving, fishing, gear hauling, or setting up chairs and having a cold drink. (I'm also looking for cats from AUS too, and west coast US lobster boats, and US northeast lobster boats.
why don't you look at European boats as you are looking at AUS ones. We have shipped our Pilothouse and Weekend boats to New Caledonia, Australia and Japan. The US is only across the pond so no bid deal. Anyway as a matter of interest have a look at propos de Parker | Parker Poland
Andre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2017, 08:08   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: reiver 3.8/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: 40hp 2st 2x6lp 315
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
why don't you look at European boats as you are looking at AUS ones. We have shipped our Pilothouse and Weekend boats to New Caledonia, Australia and Japan. The US is only across the pond so no bid deal. Anyway as a matter of interest have a look at propos de Parker | Parker Poland
Surely he is looking at European boats cheetah are on the Isle of Wight that's still part of Europe isn't it?
__________________
beamishken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2017, 08:22   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: Jersey
Boat name: t/t
Make: Honda
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 255
Cheetah

I bought a 6.2m new from cheetah a few years back. Great boats and a good company to work with. They are accustomed to shipping overseas.
__________________
karlT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2017, 09:11   #5
Trade member
 
Andre's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: West Sussex
Boat name: Grey Mist
Make: Parker 800 Baltic
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2xMercury Diesel 170
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,430
Send a message via Skype™ to Andre
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
Surely he is looking at European boats cheetah are on the Isle of Wight that's still part of Europe isn't it?
I know the company and they are for sure fine boats . I just did not connect
Andre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2017, 10:22   #6
Trade member
 
tim griffin's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,859
Great boats great people
__________________
Tim Griffin
RYA Freelance YMI power Powerboat and PWC instructor trainer vhf first aid sea survival Diesel engine radar and navigation instructor
tim griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2017, 17:10   #7
ncp
Member
 
ncp's Avatar
 
Country: USA
Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
Anyway as a matter of interest have a look at propos de Parker | Parker Poland
I have had a look at your line and they probably fall under the "too yachty" category. The wife would probably like the the 750 or 770 but the issue I have with those two is the lack of deck space when it comes to fishing or diving.

In the US market, we have lots of monohull options for a pilothouse design. There are a couple that interest me but they are all custom builders and expensive. I'm on the look out for something lightly used here that fits my needs or something that needs work and I can afford to customize. It's highly unlikely that I will find something in the used market that fits exactly since I am almost 2.0m tall. For example, popular boat in the US is Parker Boats, 2520 XL SC - the interior headroom is 6'4. I have fished off of one before and can't stand up straight inside. Hence, why I would need to find something cheaper that I could customize.

I also want to maximize the space [in the 7-8m range] and catamarans do that well. Many of our smaller US cat builders limit the beam on their smaller cats to 8'6 due to many states trailering limitations. Most also fall under the category of "too yachty". Many also require high hp. I'd rather have an open deck that's configurable to the purpose of the trip - removable livewell, ice chests, seating, etc. I like that Cheetah will do a 25' x 9'10 (7.6m x 3.0m) and run on lower horsepower. I'm ok with trailering 9'10 (my 7m rib was 9'0). In California, any boat over 8'6 but under 10'0 just requires a $90/year permit. Cheetah will also supply a boat fitted out to your specifications and level of finish - anything from a bare hull to full kitted out and "yachty". I only asked for a quote for hull/open back cabin with glass/rub rail and a few cleats. I would power it over here and wire it up myself.

I've also considered AUS and NZ because of their Cat builders. From what I've seen so far, even with a strong dollar, their prices are almost the same as the US.

I'm just thinking out loud here and wanted to ask some opinions - I don't know the logistics of getting something to US. But, if the economics work, it might just happen.
__________________
ncp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2017, 18:06   #8
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,119
I forget you are as tall like me. I'm in the same situation. I'm looking for a fiberglass hull for my next project and the very first thing I have to do is cut the cabin and add 6" in height to it.

Jason
__________________
Bigtalljv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2017, 18:43   #9
ncp
Member
 
ncp's Avatar
 
Country: USA
Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtalljv View Post
I forget you are as tall like me. I'm in the same situation. I'm looking for a fiberglass hull for my next project and the very first thing I have to do is cut the cabin and add 6" in height to it.

Jason
Or drop the floor if there's space.

When I start exploring pilothouses, someone said "just get a Parker". There are plenty of them out there used and they could be repowered easily to get a "new boat" (though you do have to watch out with some of the wood in their construction). The problem is that their molded cabin doesn't lend itself very well to modification and the cabin floor is already 12" below the deck. I'd love to start with a 26' Radon hull but people want $30k for a 1980's hull only - crazy.
__________________
ncp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 March 2017, 03:43   #10
Trade member
 
Andre's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: West Sussex
Boat name: Grey Mist
Make: Parker 800 Baltic
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2xMercury Diesel 170
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,430
Send a message via Skype™ to Andre
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncp View Post
Or drop the floor if there's space.

When I start exploring pilothouses, someone said "just get a Parker". There are plenty of them out there used and they could be repowered easily to get a "new boat" (though you do have to watch out with some of the wood in their construction). The problem is that their molded cabin doesn't lend itself very well to modification and the cabin floor is already 12" below the deck. I'd love to start with a 26' Radon hull but people want $30k for a 1980's hull only - crazy.
just to avoid any confusion which Parker do you have in mind the USA one or us as we are two separate companies and have nothing to do with each other only both are called Parker and both make pilothouses
Andre is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rib

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:48.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.