Old 19 June 2009, 09:03   #1

Town: Near Godalming
Boat name: AJA
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha F150AETX
Newtown first time visit...

I'm thinking of taking the family to Newtown and Shalfleet this coming Sunday around midday when the water will be high (high at 11am).

Having had a quick scout for information I can't find too much information about mooring - is it fairly straightforward? Any tips and tricks?!

Thanks...
Old 19 June 2009, 10:08   #2

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Hi Neil - its a great place - I used to put the channel marks in when I was a navy cadet , but from what I recall its a case of head in , turn left abit & chuck the anchor out . If ifs nice I may try & head that way for late morning ( but be back to watch the GP ) .

I recall it can be very muddy, and dry out a long way at low tide.

Pete
Old 19 June 2009, 13:31   #3

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard
Newtown is a fabulous stop and very pieceful, usually.

Around high tide there is very little to go wrong, although I would stay about half a mile offshore until you have a straight run in to the enterance. From there is is quite well marked with coloured stakes and I guarentee you will not be alone.

We usually turn to the left inside the enterance and proceed up stream until clear of all the yatchs and then drop the anchor. The Harbour master will be onto you before the anchor hits the sea bed with a (demand) for a mooring ticket. To my knowledge, this is National Trust managed and the charge is discretionary and you may/or may not elect to pay.

I usually show my NT card and he seems happy to not charge. It is the round the Island race on Saturday, so would think it will be very busy with boats stopping off on their way home. May pop round myself

Steve
Old 19 June 2009, 13:34   #4

Good point about the RTI race - I recall not being able to 'cross' the stream of yachts one year to get to the island ! It wil be busy in the solent this weekend . I am also going dolphin spotting in the bays .
Old 19 June 2009, 13:45   #5

Town: Poole
Boat name: Grimalkin
Make: Ribcraft 750 Sport
Engine: Suzi 250
MMSI: 235050647
Neil

Agree with all that Pete says but would add that the recommended first time approach is on a rising tide when the mud flats are still visible: the channel is then more clearly visible since it otherwise all looks like open sea. The best approach to the creek is to keep the front 'Y' beacon on the shore lined up with the rear 'O' beacon such that the 'O' stays in the 'V' of the 'Y' (if that makes sense!). This is a course of around 130 degrees from the centre of the entrance.

Once in the creek, follow the red and green markers to the right past the moored yachts. At the end of the moorings, turn left where the water shallows and head past the N cardinal almost due south. Keep a good eye on your depth gauge and be prepared to trim up. This will bring you to Shalfleet Quay where you can moor and get ashore. Fender the boat well. however, since the quay wall is rough and can damage the boat. (How do I know that?) A 15 min walk along the footpath will bring you to the New Inn (highly recommended).

Good luck

David

PS Watch your speed in the creek where there is a 'no wash' rule since the National Trust wardens who act as harbourmasters can be bolshie (and how do I know that?)!
Old 19 June 2009, 14:28   #6

Town: Fareham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocet View Post
PS Watch your speed in the creek where there is a 'no wash' rule since the National Trust wardens who act as harbourmasters can be bolshie (and how do I know that?)!
It was im Gov

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2009, 15:57   #7

Great info- many thanks.

If it's the round the island race (which I didn't know, again, thanks), we might give it a miss and try next weekend.... I'll see when I get out there. Cowes is a very easy alternative.
Old 19 June 2009, 16:22   #8

I guess Cowes will be the busiest of all places on Sat . Full of boats that sail once a year - have not a great clue whats going on , boats full of the sailing hardcore shouting at each other , 'control' boats - not really in control of much .........., and then us lot who do have some idea, dont profess to be expert & aren't racing anyone .

I'd avoid it unless forced ! I suspect it will be hard work picking a way through all the above , only to get swiped by an unpredictable yacht ( and being blamed ) .

Or am I too cynical ?
Old 19 June 2009, 18:08   #9

Town: Poole
Boat name: Grimalkin
Make: Ribcraft 750 Sport
Engine: Suzi 250
MMSI: 235050647
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilda View Post
I'm thinking of taking the family to Newtown and Shalfleet this coming Sunday around midday when the water will be high (high at 11am).

Having had a quick scout for information I can't find too much information about mooring - is it fairly straightforward? Any tips and tricks?!

Thanks...
The RTI race is on Saturday; Neil is planning on going on Sunday which should be OK. However, you might like to check the tide times: I make HW Yarmouth at 10 am BST and, at half way between springs and neaps, there may not be enough water to make it to Shalfleet which dries at -3.3.
Old 19 June 2009, 18:35   #10

How strange!

I'm using a Garmin PC chart with tide predictor and it's giving me high water at Yarmouth at 11am. Easy Tide giving me 10am.....

Ah, just spotted a wee box under preferences marked 'UTC Offset'.

Now I'm getting 10am.

The new boy has another red faced moment.

Never heard of UTC before, I thought the PC version would pick up the time change from the internal clock.

So you're right, the timing doesn't exactly suit.
Old 19 June 2009, 19:29   #11

Town: Cowes
Boat name: WightStuff
Engine: Yamaha 150hp
MMSI: 235072807
There are often a lot of RIBS/Motor Boats within the Newtown area. No RIB experience there myself, but it's a great place to kayak around! Definitely does dry out at low tide to leave a lot of mud though, as we found out the first time we kayaked round there on a falling tide and had to drag the kayaks back through the mud for about 1/2 a mile

Might be worth taking a look at Google Earth, where you can sort of see the shallower parts:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...55618&t=h&z=15