Old 31 July 2014, 15:51   #1

Town: Beaumaris
Make: BRIG
Length: 6m +
Engine: Ermintrude 115
Newbie with a Brig

Hi All

Just acquired a Brig Navigator 610 from Wolf Rock.

Going to keep it on Anglesey.

I am a newbie to this but got the bug from a mate of mine for Ribbing. Did Powerboat Level 2 before parting with the hard earned.

So looking for tips and any insurance recommendations. I get it on the 23 Aug so a bit of time yet to sort the bits and bobs out.

Looking forward to getting on the water!!

Max
Old 31 July 2014, 16:46   #2

Town: Copenhagen
Make: Ribeye
Engine: 115hp OB
Hi Max - good luck with the New boat when she arrives, I'm sure you'll have lots of fun. Towergate insurance seem to be a good insurance broker with reasonable cover at OK prices. I have their platinum policy. R
Old 31 July 2014, 20:03   #3

Town: liverpool
Make: tohatsu6.1 one desig
Engine: mariner 125hp
Were on Anglesey are you based. I'm in Trearddur bay . loads of ribnobers all over the Island
Old 31 July 2014, 20:32   #4
NSS

Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Swell View Post
Hi All

Just acquired a Brig Navigator 610 from Wolf Rock.

.... looking for tips .....

Max
Check the transom regularly
Old 31 July 2014, 21:06   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon23 View Post
Were on Anglesey are you based. I'm in Trearddur bay . loads of ribnobers all over the Island

Hi I am in Chester but will keep it at Beaumaris probably ...do you recommend anywhere else? I did my training at porth Daniel so I am au fait with the straights.

But happy to put it anywhere although Beaumaris side is an hour for home which has to be considered.

Really looking forward to getting it ...probably more so than the kids!!!

Sorry meant to say her not it.
Old 31 July 2014, 22:27   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSS View Post
Check the transom regularly

Why?

Are they a known fault having not paid in full yet I need to know ????? From more than one opinion
Old 31 July 2014, 22:45   #7
NSS

Quote:
Why?

Are they a known fault having not paid in full yet I need to know ????? From more than one opinion
See http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/brig-570...som-63672.html

Probably a one-off but if I were buying one I'd be keeping an eye on it
Old 31 July 2014, 22:46   #8

Town: liverpool
Make: tohatsu6.1 one desig
Engine: mariner 125hp
Quote:
Hi I am in Chester but will keep it at Beaumaris probably ...do you recommend anywhere else? I did my training at porth Daniel so I am au fait with the straights.

But happy to put it anywhere although Beaumaris side is an hour for home which has to be considered.

Really looking forward to getting it ...probably more so than the kids!!!

Sorry meant to say her not it.
I keep mine on a caravan site. I think a lot of the lads on here keep them at canearfon with a guy called chris. I am sure someone will fill you in soon.
Old 01 August 2014, 02:52   #9

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
Quote:
Why?

Greetings from Frodsham and welcome to Ribnet

To be honest, I'm suprised you haven't received more 'feedback' from the community regarding your choice of Rib. Certain manufacturers attract a lot of generally negative comment on here and Brig consistently achieve a table-topping position in the European Champions League on that basis.

As with most investments of this nature there are a load of variables in play that will determine your choice; fashion, trends, looks, useability, build quality, fitness for purpose (what are you intending to use the boat for), manufacturer's reputation, word-of-mouth, re-sale value, etc, etc which are all factored into the mix and you eventually arrive at what YOU think it's worth paying, but there are many experienced people on here who will point you in the direction of a number of alternatives you should consider before deciding to buy a Brig.

If you've thoroughly researched the market, carefully considered what you want to use the Rib for and decided a Brig is for you, buy it, enjoy it and be proud to own it but there's a world of difference between bay-hopping around Anglesey on a flat-calm sunny day and bashing across to the Isle of Man.

All I would say is, before you commit your hard-earned, have you compared it with other similar-sized boats such as, in no particular order, Ribcraft, Osprey and Ribquest?

I look forward to meeting you out and about around the Straits sometime soon.
Old 01 August 2014, 07:17   #10

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
Good luck with your new purchase dude,
Old 01 August 2014, 08:22   #11

Boat name: Carpe Diem
Make: Ribeye 650S
Engine: Yamaha F150
Welcome

Hi Max, welcome to the forum I am based in Widnes but do a lot of my boating in Anglesey and launch from Caernfaron. Keep your eye out for organised Ribnet cruises in the area (as there are at least 3 a year) as this may give you an opportunity to explore the island and then you can decide where you would like to base yourself

If you have already parted with your cash reference the Brig I wouldn't worry as I am sure they come with a warranty

Hopefully see you out and about on the straits this year
Old 01 August 2014, 09:56   #12
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrowboy View Post
To be honest, I'm suprised you haven't received more 'feedback' from the community regarding your choice of Rib. Certain manufacturers attract a lot of generally negative comment on here and Brig consistently achieve a table-topping position in the European Champions League on that basis.
I refuse to comment on the suitability of Brig boats.

However what I will say is that over the past few years there have been a number of attempts to raise public awareness of that product on RIBnet. Fake users have been created to advertise boats and avoid paying fees (naughty, but not a hanging offence). Worse however, was the use of professional posters who were used to create multiple RIBnet identities and then post material and start discussions about Brigs. I DO NOT KNOW who recruited these individuals, only that they were here. I consider the use of Astroturfing to sell product to be a highly cynical exercise - a sinister attempt to manipulate public opinion based on fake advice posted online. When discovered and banned, one of the individuals from Northern Ireland threatened me. The upshot is that the Brig brand kinda leaves a sour taste in my mouth and when someone new pops up on RIBnet with a first post that says "I bought a Brig! What do you think of it?", then I just look away and retch...

The opinion expressed above is mine personally and not necessarily that of RIBnet's owners
Old 01 August 2014, 10:39   #13

Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Make: no boat
Whilst nobody in their right mind would condone any of the practices that Willk highlights above , I thought I would just mention that I know a very experienced ribber , who purchased a Brig by choice , and after the usual one or two teething problems is extremely pleased with it , so welcome to the swell that is RIBnet , Max ( see what I did there ? ) and happy boating to you......
Old 01 August 2014, 11:33   #14

Town: Wirral
Boat name: Tigger
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: Suzuki DF140
Hi Max

Welcome to the forum

I cant comment on 'Brig' as a brand, but i can comment on 'Wolfrock'.

I recently bought a 'Ribeye 550/Yam 100' package from 'Wolfrock Boat Company' and can only reccommend them highly.

I owned a smaller Rib which i was using as a part exchange deal. I live in the same neck of the woods as you so therefore was 300ish miles from 'Wolfrock', but rest assured you are in good hands.

After i made the initial contact and declared my interest with 'Leon', a line of communication was opened. We spoke many times during the negotiation phase and i received lots of reassurance, help and advice from 'Wolfrock'.....not to mention some lads on Ribnet (you know who you are)

When i was happy with the deal on offer, i travelled south on the agreed date to conclude the deal. I spent the best part of the day with Leon and his team, including a sea trial and was looked after with copious amounts of coffee etc. I returned home later that evening with a smile on my face and a Ribeye on the towbar after a pleasant productive day with Wolfrock Boat Company.
I also launch from Caernarfon. If you need any more details, give me a shout
Old 01 August 2014, 11:33   #15

Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: TIDEL III
Make: AVON SEARIDER
I was told yesterday by a local boatshed agent that Brig had gone bust , don't know if it is true or not
Old 01 August 2014, 13:32   #16

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Kick'em Jenny
Make: Brig Navigator 570
Engine: Etec 90
RIBase
Couldn't comment on the dodgy marketing tricks being discussed - and no idea who was behind it and didnt see it myself but I am very happy to vouch for Wolf Rock and Leon as well. Wolf Rock were excellent IMHO and as a result I own a Brig and have been very happy with it with no issues.
Old 01 August 2014, 16:26   #17

Thanks for all the comments...don't need anymore on brig as I have paid deposit and they are still trading. Spoke to the MD this morning who was not happy about rumours like that floating around with little basis in fact. So I will be the guinea pig lets see if I get it on the 18 th aug.....expensive Russian roulette hey ho.

Looking forward to getting onto the water and getting into rib ownership.

Sooooo, to move this on.

Best life jackets ?

Best waterproof ?

Does anybody do lobster potting?
Old 01 August 2014, 16:46   #18

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Kick'em Jenny
Make: Brig Navigator 570
Engine: Etec 90
RIBase
Probably just as many strong views on that. FWIW we have bought Spinlock Deckvest Lites for the two of us and are very happy with them - nice and light and dont get in the way of your arms. Got a set of four Bluewave automatic ones with a bag for about £170 from one of the cheap sites for the guests too which didnt seem like a bad deal to me at the time!
Old 01 August 2014, 19:55   #19

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
..don't need anymore on brig as I have paid deposit ...expensive Russian roulette hey ho.
I'm failing to understand the above comment. To me, it says that you are seeking advice, but that you will only hear it if it's inline with your own opinions or purchase choice.

Most Ribnet members can either not afford, or choose not to play "expensive Russian roulette' with their cash. We draw upon experience, advice and diligent research before making our purchases.

You've chosen to skip most of the above. I'm sure that Wolfrock are smashing guys, they wouldn't last 5 mins if they're weren't. Also, they're not selling 'sell themselves' brands, so they have to work extra hard and go the extra mile.

Hopefully the Brig will serve your needs fine, but clearly you have put little or no effort/research into your purchase and wish to block your ears to any suggestion that you may've not spent your money wisely.

Enjoy you ribbing.
Old 01 August 2014, 20:05   #20
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
They do look good though