Old 20 February 2008, 17:04   #1

Town: cornwall
Length: no boat
newbie, what to get?

hi,

ive been living next to the sea all my life and now im am looking to get a small rib. It will be used for towing a ring, possibly a wakeboard, commuting around the local beaches, snorkling and general fun during the summer. It does not need large storage as am not into fishing or diving.

Only want a small rib, preferably 3 -3.6metes, no more than 4. Wanting a centre console, possibilty of squeezing 4 people on?
Now for the engine, i want a fast rib for the size, as i said this is all new to me so would about a 45hp outboard be to big or ideal?
Also how much would i be expecting to spend, not worried of the age, obviously i don't want something brand new?
Do you need a license or any training to use a rib?
What would the average fuel prices be for a day of fun? 15-20quid?

Cheers
Old 20 February 2008, 18:49   #2

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
you should prob look at a 4 mtr inflatable in that case,quicksilver 380 with a 30 hp to match,OR i think avon do a 3.8 mtr rib, 4 people on a craft that size,not really ideal, if you were thinking of doing anything else on it as well,
training is not mandatory BUT you should get at least your power boat level one as its not just your life you could ruin,
Old 20 February 2008, 18:55   #3

Town: Bristol
Engine: Yamaha
you should prob look at a 4 mtr inflatable in that case,quicksilver 380 with a 30 hp to match,OR i think avon do a 3.6 mtr rib, good for 25 hp,,4 people on a craft that size,not really ideal, if you were thinking of doing anything else on it as well,
why a craft so small??? if you were to aim for a rib in the 4.8 mtr length, it would do probally what you want it to do, (if that makes sense)
fuel useage is an open ended discussion, how hard you use it, how many people on board etc etc, £20 would only just last you the day on a very small boat,
training is not mandatory BUT you should get at least your power boat level one as its not just your life you could ruin,

why dont you book your self the PB 1 and get a feel for a bigger boat, there are some great companies on here!
Old 20 February 2008, 21:55   #4

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
I'd start with a 4m rib like a searider or something of a similar size. You can pick these up for upwards of around £2k for something decent if you shop around. 40hp sounds like around about the right size, although you might struggle to pull a heavy wakeboarder. Fuel, as previously said will depend on engine and usage. One of my first boats was a 4.1 Southern Pacific RIB which had a 40hp Mariner 2 stroke on it. I would typically use around £30 of fuel in a day out, although I always had a second tank on board just in case.

I would start off by getting my self onto an RYA powerboat level 2 course which is aimed at a complete beginner which is what I assume you are. You'll learn loads of stuff over the two days, and have a good laugh playing around with boats (most probably ribs). I was part of quite a large group when I did my level 2, and as such we had quite a few boats which we got to try, from memory about 6, ranging from small seariders, to larger ribtecs and displacement boats. I think this is a pretty good way to go as you can see how different boats behave and maybe get some ideas about what you want to buy.
Old 22 February 2008, 21:03   #5

Town: Southampton
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 200 HP
I endorse the previous 3 posts. Book yourself on a powerboat course, ideally Powerboat Level 2 and you will gain so much knowledge about RIBs and boat handling.
Duck-2-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2008, 22:54   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
There are a few things probably don't add up:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawson259 View Post
It will be used for towing a ring, possibly a wakeboard, commuting around the local beaches, snorkling and general fun during the summer. It does not need large storage as am not into fishing or diving.
don't forget the storage you will want for the snorkling kit, bbq and food for your beach trips and of course safety kit.

Quote:
Only want a small rib, preferably 3 -3.6metes, no more than 4. Wanting a centre console, possibilty of squeezing 4 people on?
squeezing is probably the right word. I can fit 6 on mine (its 4m) - but its not a normal rib and with even 4 adults it is noticably slower.
Quote:
Now for the engine, i want a fast rib for the size, as i said this is all new to me so would about a 45hp outboard be to big or ideal?
for that size rib it is probably actually a bit big. I manage fine with 20HP on a 4m (but it is light). 20 knots in a 4m boat feels fast - just like a gokart doing 30mph on land can feel like 50.
Quote:
Do you need a license or any training to use a rib?
as others have said no - but its a good idea and I suspect help you pick what you want/need in a boat.
Quote:
What would the average fuel prices be for a day of fun? 15-20quid?
with a 45 HP engine used aggressively, and todays fuel prices that could be more like 1hr than 1day! 30L will last me a full day (5+ hours) in a 20HP at a sensible speed.

If you are a speed freek then perhaps consider one of the fast cats - like a zap cat, or thundercat.
Old 22 February 2008, 23:43   #7
RIBnet Supporter

Whatever you do, buy a RIB! - you can't have more fun with wet gear on! As the others say, it would be tight to pack four plus activity kit into a sub-four meter hull. One cautionary note: if you value safety, fuel will be one of your lowest costs per hour on the water. Enjoy.
Old 25 February 2008, 06:37   #8

Town: Stuttgart
Boat name: Boat
Make: Avon,Scorpio,535 She
Engine: Yam 75HP,Johnson 70
Hi Dawson,
if you ever start with it , you can`t, stop it.
I have a Zodiac pro 7, with 4,20 meters and a 40HP Mariner.
It is equipped with double seat and console.
The Rib gives a lot of fun in calm sea.It is very fast and to handle like a jetski.
In winter you take the tube apart to store it in the warm house and the hull can stay outside. You can also transport it on the car top with 2 strong men
to lift the hull up and the tubes ínside.

Try to test one first, before you decide. Than you won`t be surprised.

Greetings from Germany
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	e4a7_3.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	33086  
Old 25 February 2008, 06:51   #9

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Hi Dawson, Where in the Duchy are you? If you're down our way, you could flip out with us for a couple trips to get the hang of things.