Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17 June 2010, 14:16   #1
Country: UK - England
Town: Basingstoke
Length: no boat
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1
Newbie Questions

Recently over the past few months ive started looking at getting a boat. Main reason behind this is my fear of flying but wanting to travel. Traveling will be around France, spain, norway, sweden etc.

My Questions are, What size RIB would be best to do channel crossings and cruising along shorelines aka france upto norway?

What is the average range of a RIB? 100? 200? 400 miles?


MysticalSnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2010, 02:31   #2
Cookee's Avatar
Country: UK - England
Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,225
It depends on how adventurous you are really! 4 metre RIBs have gone round England in company before.

Something around 10 metres upwards would be suitable for the sort of thing you're talking about, there are several options and the respective fans of the different makes will be along any minute with their recommendations!

As with any boat bigger weather = bigger boat!

Originally Posted by Zippy
When a boat looks that good who needs tubes!!!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2010, 02:47   #3
Country: UK - England
Town: York
Boat name: Sugar Free
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 119
I would have thought that a sailing yacht would have been better for that. Got much further range and you live on it.

I am thinking off doing something similar but it wont be on the RIB.

GaryC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2010, 02:49   #4
Country: UK - Wales
Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,238
Also depends how you want to get there. Is it a journey instead of a plane using an open ish rib to get to a destination/hotel, or cruising with a cabin to sleep in anchored in bays or in marinas?
HUMBER P4VWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2010, 02:50   #5
biffer's Avatar
Country: UK - England
Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,848
i'm with cookee, a well made 8m plus will do the job, you are always going to get seas that anysize boat won't like, sometime in 2m rollers i wished for a smaller boat so i didn't hit both waves at once, but you've got to think of all the kit and fuel you will carry for extended cruising and if you're going petrol you need to think more carefully about fuel and tank size, petrol's not always available in some places, i say 8 plus cos mine's 8.5m and i've never had to many problems and i can always get into a marina, 30ft puts you into another bracket with marina's, off to st malo myself at the end of the month
just read your profile, i used to live in old worting road just down from the hammer and tongs pub and now i'm waking up i shouldn't miss the oppurtinity and tell you my cabin rib is up for sale
biffer is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:52.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.