Old 24 August 2019, 08:17   #1

Town: Salisbury
Boat name: Matilda
Make: Cobra
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda BF130
Newbie Question: When to retune?

Title typo...not a great start! I’m looking at buying my first RIB and with soooo much to consider (cost and outlays being the most) What should I look for in terms of tube condition, age and the potential of having to retube? I understand that this will vary based on UV exposure etc but a rough swag will help, TIA
Old 24 August 2019, 08:23   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Newbie Question: When to retune?

How long is a piece of string?
A well looked after set of Hypalon tubes “should” last 20-25 years. A similar set of PVC tubes, 10-15 years. Those timescales can shorten dramatically depending on the original quality of the tubes & the care they’ve received during their lifetime.
Stick those tubes out in the sun on a mooring and you could be looking at a 60% reduction in their lifespan.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 08:38   #3

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerStu View Post
Title typo...not a great start! I’m looking at buying my first RIB and with soooo much to consider (cost and outlays being the most) What should I look for in terms of tube condition, age and the potential of having to retube? I understand that this will vary based on UV exposure etc but a rough swag will help, TIA
It's a question (and others!) asked by every used RIB buyer with limited experience....and one they eventually answer for themselves...try to see as many RIBs as you can...Coastal Brokers/Marinas/Dry Stacks are good places,there are always a few options for sale.
Speak to owners and if poss get some Sea time on some different models/makes and you'll soon pick up on what you need to know....Untill you feel confident in your judgment...(people you can trust can help a lot!).., Hold off buying the first ones you see!
Engines...Layout and Hull ...Manufacturer...Electrics.. ect are much more of a minefield than Tube condition

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 08:51   #4

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Tiny Dancer
Make: Valiant
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp outboard
My rib is 33 years old and the original tubes are still in great condition but I have seen the same model and age of rib where tubes are a right mess. As above it just depends on how the boat has been cared for and where it has been kept.
Old 24 August 2019, 08:54   #5

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
My rib is 33 years old and the original tubes are still in great condition but I have seen the same model and age of rib where tubes are a right mess. As above it just depends on how the boat has been cared for and where it has been kept.
Fair play that is going some!

Personally I'd much rather have a good used well maintained RIB from a respected Maker with pedigree...than a Brand New shiny Low Grade Mass produced imported model which to the Novice may SEEM to have all the Bells and Whistles.
It always concerns and upsets me at Southampton Boat to see young Wide eyed family's crawling all over low grade models of inferior design and dubious craftsmanship while getting the full on sales blurb....often on Craft for the price of which they could get a really good well founded better handling and far superior used model...and keep a good re-sale value on down the line

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 21:13   #6

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Engine: Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Fair play that is going some!

Personally I'd much rather have a good used well maintained RIB from a respected Maker with pedigree...than a Brand New shiny Low Grade Mass produced imported model which to the Novice may SEEM to have all the Bells and Whistles.
It always concerns and upsets me at Southampton Boat to see young Wide eyed family's crawling all over low grade models of inferior design and dubious craftsmanship while getting the full on sales blurb....often on Craft for the price of which they could get a really good well founded better handling and far superior used model...and keep a good re-sale value on down the line
How does a new maker gain a pedigree and get respected then ?
Old 26 August 2019, 21:33   #7

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
How does a new maker gain a pedigree and get respected then ?
By producing good quality sensibly priced boats that stand the test of time...

There's some new, shiny overpriced junk out there.
Old 27 August 2019, 05:42   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post

I think you need to think about your answer again and wonder how that happens if you only expect people to buy once they have attained that status...….. If you advise people not to buy when they are starting out and no one does they will go no further
Old 27 August 2019, 05:46   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post

There is certainly some heavy, industrial, old tat that is never delivered on time that looks like a eastern European tractor that people seem to love and if you ever criticise it you get shot down by so many fan boys that wont try anything new.

Bring on the shiny new stuff by different people I say and let us have some choice
Old 27 August 2019, 08:29   #10
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
I think you need to think about your answer again and wonder how that happens if you only expect people to buy once they have attained that status...….. If you advise people not to buy when they are starting out and no one does they will go no further

Unless of course wise experienced people were to spot the good build quality, innovative features, excellent design and buy one. That would then lead to establishing some pedigree.

It’s not often Maximus and I will be in staunch agreement but companies with inferior product who prey on newbies are a blight on the industry. If your new brand is doing something genuinely good, you’ll soon attract the right people to get a reputation for design and build not bling.
Old 27 August 2019, 09:41   #11

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Quote:
You're point is someone has to take the gamble, be the "guinea-pig"

I'm just not going to advise the OP that it should be him.