Old 25 April 2004, 20:20   #1

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: RIBBIT
Make: bombard
Length: 5.3
Engine: suzuki 70 ob EFI
Newbie Owner

I'm new to rib ownership and would appreciate some help on a couple of issues:

( I know the answers are probably already posted on this forum, but hey I'm lazy...)

Where should I go and what should I ask for regarding insurance. The rib will be used within 20 miles of the coast (Solent area) and be stored at home on my drive.

Should I register the rib with SSR.

What security is recommended.

What are the generally accepted levels of safety kit carried (flares, vhf etc)

Should I join a club/establishment regarding the social scene (2 kids around 11/12 years old)

And if any owner out there has a 'golden' piece of advice, lets hear it.

Cheers in advance.

Doug
Old 25 April 2004, 20:31   #2

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Hi myndit...

You'll quickly get answers to the other queries but quite a few peeps go ribbing in the Solent. If you want us to accompany you on a voyage send us a pm (personal message) as we are out at weekends and we often launch at Gosport, (we have a similar sized craft )

Paul & Kathleen

(PS you might find taking lessons extremely helpful as they can be tailored to your needs eg knowing what to bring etc.)
Old 25 April 2004, 23:44   #3

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by myndit
I'm new to rib ownership and would appreciate some help on a couple of issues:

( I know the answers are probably already posted on this forum, but hey I'm lazy...)

Where should I go and what should I ask for regarding insurance. The rib will be used within 20 miles of the coast (Solent area) and be stored at home on my drive.

Do a search for insurance. There was a thread not so long ago. Loads of people around. e.g. PIC, Mardon etc.

Should I register the rib with SSR.

Only really neccessary if you intend to go "foreign" e.g across to France.

What security is recommended.

Decent wheelclamp on the trailer will be Insurance requirement as is a security bolt on your engine.
What are the generally accepted levels of safety kit carried (flares, vhf etc)

Should I join a club/establishment regarding the social scene (2 kids around 11/12 years old)

Upto you. I would recommend BIBOA (British Inflatable Boat Owners Association) www.biboa.co.uk. National RIB club that organises cruises and runs RIB racing in the UK. However RIB.NET is a pretty good way of meeting like minded folk and getting together for cruises & get-togethers. As Missus Jackeen says lots of Ribsters in the Solent to meet up with.

And if any owner out there has a 'golden' piece of advice, lets hear it.

You've already done the best thing you could but finding RIB.NET!!

Cheers in advance.

Doug
Old 26 April 2004, 03:59   #4

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Hello and welcome to Ribnet

Joining a Club.......I am told that the ECA in Portsmouth has excellent facilities
I believe it's in Eastney. I think there are a few members on the Forum.

Re Safety Kit You can get good free advice from the RNLI hit there website and find out about a sea safety check. You get a handout which has a bunch of check cards which you can refer to as well as your boat being given the once over.

The list of kit you need I guess isn't exhaustive but it's not small either. I am probably going to miss loads of stuff out but that's not a problem cos you are going to find out when you get your sea safety check

Effectively you have three areas that you need to plan for

Personal safety Life jackets, thermal protective aids, water, high energy food, suitable clothing, spare kill cord, first Aid kit, Suntan cream, after sun, Anchor

Boat reliability Spare fuel, good water/fuel sperator refueling system. (Tossers tubes are hard to beat and they cost about a tenner). Regular maintenance spare plugs and spanner. WD40 or Duck oil, Good electrics are vital (these are probably the easiest thing to degrade on a rib), bailer, Bilge pump

Communication Portable VHF and a fixed ariel, Mobile phone both of these in waterproof bags, Torch, Mirror, flares ( a coastal pack would suffice)
Shop around and you can get good deals on the stuff you need you will pay through the nose if you gat the stuff from a Chandler or Broker

Training is I think important Cut a deal with a trainer that includes the Kids Contact the Maritime College at Warsash and book the family on a sea survival
course. Petre White has written a good book called Powerboating which is worth buying. I think there is a link on this site to it. Look under publications on the front page

Hope that Helps

Stuart
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2004, 06:37   #5

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat
Joinining a club...you've just joined one, and it's FREE - Ribnet.

Welcome. You can arrange cruises and meetings, get advice, buy and sell things (at a small cost), show off your photos etc. All with the added advantage of not having a committe of booring farts telling you what to do before taking your subscriptions.

Enjoy.

Keith (I wouldn't be where I am today without Ribnet) Hart
Old 26 April 2004, 13:11   #6

Town: Surbiton,Gt London
Length: 5m +
HI and welcome as they say you have come to the right place. I have been going over all your questions in the last couple of months and just to add coulple of things to the above.
Security/Insurance my one requested motor lock.trailer clamp and chain to non moving object when at home.
The other way to spend some money is on training. I did a level 2 RYA course it was well worth the investment and will answer lots of questions for a new owner with respect to safety. Good luck.

Neal
Old 26 April 2004, 16:35   #7

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Hi Myndit

Loadsa good advice from others already so I won't bore you with any more. Except... get out there and enjoy the boat!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2004, 18:18   #8

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
craftinsure.com for insurance......
My golden piece of advice: use fenders! I didn't bother on my SIB - that's why it got a huge gash in the side.....
Old 26 April 2004, 18:35   #9

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Hi Myndit
welcome to a great life afloat as you can see a real bunch of nice people hang out here, you will get loads of advice and make some great friends
search around for training ask questions of the instructor, about what to expect on the course make sure they are a RYA recognised training centre
www.rya.org.uk is the place to go for training centres in your area you will see alot of schools and they will mostly have links to their websites so you can find out what boats they have and if suited for your needs, same goes for insurance some companies give discount for qualifications have fun and welcome aboard
tim
www.griffmarineservices.co.uk
Old 26 April 2004, 19:27   #10

Wow

What can I say but thanks very much for all the advice.

There are a couple of items that simply did not cross my mind when drawing up a list (spare kill cord was one).

I took the time last night to look back at some of the threads regarding insurance etc and will give the various companies a call later this week. The depth and variety of information on this forum is magnificent!

I will organise some training with the RYA as suggested. I already posses a Yachtmaster offshore qual. but have no time at all on power boats.

My Bombard is in build and will be available in around 3 weeks time. Perhaps I can revisit the forum closer to that date to arrange an accompianed 'maiden voyage' (could be an opportunity for some 'how not to do it' photos...).

Again thanks for all the postings and the very warm welcome.

Doug Green
Old 26 April 2004, 19:37   #11

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Sting
Make: Tornado 6.8
Engine: Yam 200 HPDI
Send a message via MSN to Andy
Here is my tip for the day.......

Get a cover and make sure the sun stays off the tubes while you leave it standing. The sun is nasty, causes damage and fading. Keeping it covered will help your boat stay in good shape. Also make sure the cover does not flap on the engine inthe wind, after time the paint can be removed.

On another point we go out a lot in the Solent, weekends and also on evening and night trips. I would be happy to have you along to help you get use to the area. I am also at ECA if you decide that leaving the boat on your drive is not ideal. Its a good club, good storage, reasonable price.

www.badviz.com
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2004, 20:58   #12

Thanks Andy

I ordered the Bombard full cover (quite expensive though..) coz i figured the same regarding the sun damage. The tubes are white so I hpe the fading will be slight.

Where do ECA keep the boats? Is it a locked area and do they have full tide access??

Cheers

Doug
Old 26 April 2004, 21:45   #13

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Sting
Make: Tornado 6.8
Engine: Yam 200 HPDI
Send a message via MSN to Andy
ECA is a locked compound. Boats are generally on trailers. They have an all states of the tide slip with 2 winches for launch and recovery. However the launch can be into moving water as the tide rips past there, but its manageable. There is an onsite club house, bar, food as well as workshops. It's a club so many people often potter about down there messing with boats. I would be happy to meet you down there to show you about and have a chat about the place.

www.badviz.com
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2004, 20:51   #14

Hi Andy

Took a look at the ECA today. Looks quite nice with friendly people willing to talk about boat launching etc.

Yes, would welcome an accompianied visit, when would be a good time for you?

Rgds

Doug
Old 10 June 2004, 17:55   #15

No longer a newbie

OK, the new rib arrived last weekend and I am still smiling in my sleep! I am dropping in one last forum note just to advise other possible newbies of what I did wrong (even after all the good advice).

When launching, do not allow the boat to simply slide off the trailer without any constraint in speed. I thought the rear sections would have enough bouyancy to prevent the hull grounding whilst slipping off the trailer. I was wrong and I now have a gelcote repair to carry out on the hull/transom!

Keeping an eye on the depth will not prevent you grounding the outboard skeg when creek crawling as there are occasional v. shallow areas which do not show on the fish finder!

Luckily I have not done any serious damage with either of these mishaps and my cost to repair will be under £20.00, but it may have been worse....

One last thing, avoid launching at Hayling Island (Western End) on a late Sunday afternoon. This way you will avoid the entire population of Romford recovering their jetskis!

Again, thanks for all the advice, and in my quest for a couple of photos of my boat on the plane, is anyone interested in a dual boat trip somewhere/sometime?

Doug

PS My family have now named the boat RIBBIT with the two Bs back to back (very hard to type)
Old 10 June 2004, 21:59   #16

Town: Ardnamurchan
Boat name: Out of the Blue
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: Yamaha 100
MMSI: 235 079 253
If only you had looked on www.boatlaunch.co.uk before going out to launch, you would have had a good idea of what to expect. Sounds like you had a great time and it only gets better from here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WestHayling.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	6439  
Old 10 June 2004, 22:03   #17

Town: Helston, Cornwall
Boat name: Silver Fern
Make: Rayglass Protector
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x 250hp Verado
MMSI: 235024092
Send a message via AIM to gingercoastie Send a message via MSN to gingercoastie
Quote:
Originally Posted by myndit
Luckily I have not done any serious damage with either of these mishaps and my cost to repair will be under £20.00, but it may have been worse....
Don't worry, give it a couple of months and you will be an old salt, dispensing advice left right and center. Maybe even getting some credability points

Its all got to go - make me an offer...............

Skype - alexgreig
gingercoastie is offline   Reply With Quote