Old 26 April 2004, 15:37   #11

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Sting
Make: Tornado 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 200 HPDI
Send a message via MSN to Andy
Here is my tip for the day.......

Get a cover and make sure the sun stays off the tubes while you leave it standing. The sun is nasty, causes damage and fading. Keeping it covered will help your boat stay in good shape. Also make sure the cover does not flap on the engine inthe wind, after time the paint can be removed.

On another point we go out a lot in the Solent, weekends and also on evening and night trips. I would be happy to have you along to help you get use to the area. I am also at ECA if you decide that leaving the boat on your drive is not ideal. Its a good club, good storage, reasonable price.

www.badviz.com
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2004, 16:58   #12

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: RIBBIT
Make: bombard
Length: 5.3
Engine: suzuki 70 ob EFI

Thanks Andy

I ordered the Bombard full cover (quite expensive though..) coz i figured the same regarding the sun damage. The tubes are white so I hpe the fading will be slight.

Where do ECA keep the boats? Is it a locked area and do they have full tide access??

Cheers

Doug

Old 26 April 2004, 17:45   #13

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Sting
Make: Tornado 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 200 HPDI
Send a message via MSN to Andy
ECA is a locked compound. Boats are generally on trailers. They have an all states of the tide slip with 2 winches for launch and recovery. However the launch can be into moving water as the tide rips past there, but its manageable. There is an onsite club house, bar, food as well as workshops. It's a club so many people often potter about down there messing with boats. I would be happy to meet you down there to show you about and have a chat about the place.

www.badviz.com
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2004, 16:51   #14

Hi Andy

Took a look at the ECA today. Looks quite nice with friendly people willing to talk about boat launching etc.

Yes, would welcome an accompianied visit, when would be a good time for you?

Rgds

Doug
Old 10 June 2004, 13:55   #15

No longer a newbie

OK, the new rib arrived last weekend and I am still smiling in my sleep! I am dropping in one last forum note just to advise other possible newbies of what I did wrong (even after all the good advice).

When launching, do not allow the boat to simply slide off the trailer without any constraint in speed. I thought the rear sections would have enough bouyancy to prevent the hull grounding whilst slipping off the trailer. I was wrong and I now have a gelcote repair to carry out on the hull/transom!

Keeping an eye on the depth will not prevent you grounding the outboard skeg when creek crawling as there are occasional v. shallow areas which do not show on the fish finder!

Luckily I have not done any serious damage with either of these mishaps and my cost to repair will be under 20.00, but it may have been worse....

One last thing, avoid launching at Hayling Island (Western End) on a late Sunday afternoon. This way you will avoid the entire population of Romford recovering their jetskis!

Again, thanks for all the advice, and in my quest for a couple of photos of my boat on the plane, is anyone interested in a dual boat trip somewhere/sometime?

Doug

PS My family have now named the boat RIBBIT with the two Bs back to back (very hard to type)
Old 10 June 2004, 17:59   #16

Town: Ardnamurchan
Boat name: Out of the Blue
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 100
MMSI: 235 079 253
If only you had looked on www.boatlaunch.co.uk before going out to launch, you would have had a good idea of what to expect. Sounds like you had a great time and it only gets better from here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WestHayling.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	6439  
Old 10 June 2004, 18:03   #17

Town: Helston, Cornwall
Boat name: Silver Fern
Make: Rayglass Protector
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x 250hp Verado
MMSI: 235024092
Send a message via AIM to gingercoastie Send a message via MSN to gingercoastie
Quote:
Originally Posted by myndit
Luckily I have not done any serious damage with either of these mishaps and my cost to repair will be under 20.00, but it may have been worse....
Don't worry, give it a couple of months and you will be an old salt, dispensing advice left right and center. Maybe even getting some credability points

Its all got to go - make me an offer...............

Skype - alexgreig
gingercoastie is offline   Reply With Quote