Click Here to Login

Old 16 March 2010, 16:32   #1

Boat name: Spare Rhib
Make: Willard
Length: 5m +
Engine: Volvo turbo diesel
newbie, new boat; Jet vs Outdrive question

Hi all-
just joined and wanted to introduce myself and boat. I'm the happy new owner of an 18' Willard ("Spare Rhib") with a Volvo diesel and jet drive. Took her out for a sea trial on Sunday in choppy conditions on SF Bay and was blown away by her handling; turns like she's on a rail and ate up the rough stuff. I bought her to have something safe for the Tomales Bay entrance bar in rough conditions and she certainly seems like she could handle about anything thrown at her.
She came with a jet drive and as I have no prior experience with these, I hope to tap the group's expertise. I was really happy with the high-speed handling (and can get used to the idle-speed squirliness). From what I've read, the simplicity, safety and handling of a jet are traded against high-end speed and acceleration of an outdrive. I'd love to be able to get more top speed and wonder if anyone knows how much of an increase I could expect with a good outdrive and whether it might be worth the hassle and expense of converting? Love to hear from anyone that's done a jet-outdrive swap.
cheers,
-Lorca