Old 22 April 2016, 12:32   #1

Town: Blackpool
Boat name: N/A
Length: 5m +
Newbie: Jet Rib advice please

Hi there, I've recently sold my Bayliner 185 and I am currently looking at getting a small rib as a replacement. The Bayliner was far too much faff to launch, retrieve and maintain for the use it was getting in this cold miserbale country.

I want a used Avon 320 Jet Rib....but I would like the advice of someone who has/had one (or similar) if possible.

My main concern is how easy they are to manouver by hand on a trailer, i.e can they be launched by hand or are they far too heavy. The slip we use has a shallow gradient and we really want to have a small rib that removes the need for shunting around with a car. That said, I'm a bit of a petrol head, so a jet rib is what I ideally want....Zodiac or Avon (I dont hear good things about Williams Jet Ribs and they seem far too expensive)

Any advice would be gratefully received

Many thanks

Ben
Old 22 April 2016, 12:54   #2

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
I would stay stick with a standard not a jet based unit there are some nice 4m that will tow a skier (60hp) launch with a car or by hand on beach trailer and still be fun. Or buy a seadoo spark and a sib
Old 22 April 2016, 13:26   #3

Thanks for the response. Those Seadoo Sparks look good value for money! Unfortunately we use Windermere and Jet Skis are a no no. The jet rib is the perfect cheat to the rules !
Old 22 April 2016, 14:03   #4

Town: Chorley, Lancs
Pennine Marine at Skipton have one in the showroom at the moment, they also have the 320 with outboard. Could be worth a visit to see both side by side.
Old 22 April 2016, 14:26   #5

There is a guy I the is putting spark motors in ribs but a bit pricey.

The avons run old yam 2 stroke (701?) motors I think.

Williams make jet tenders but mega ££££ a 360 with outboard would be my choice or a medline (budget allowing)

http://www.williamsjettenders.com/?g...FclsGwodz4YMWw
Old 23 April 2016, 09:58   #6

Thanks guys. Definately worth a visit to see those Dave......
Old 23 April 2016, 10:54   #7

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
As has been said, most smaller jet RIBs are designed to be a tender to a larger vessel so generally have white "med style" styling. Having spent the last two years working on large yachts I've spent quite a bit of time on various jet tenders. I would say if you're planning to do a lot of watersports with it along with buzzing around in sheltered waters and picnicking on the beach then a jet RIB is spot on. If more serious stuff (like going around the Isle of Wight or similar) is the plan you'll be better off with a more traditional outboard powered RIB with jockey seating (small jet ribs don't like the rough stuff much!). Much safer than something with an outboard when you've got people in the water. Beaching is also a lot easier as you can nudge it up onto the beach without having to worry about the prop and making sure the leg is deep enough to get enough cooling water. Avon is obviously a respected brand. I like Williams but they are quite pricey. With regards laughing it, you'll have no problems launching something of around 4m single handed on a shallow slip.
Old 23 April 2016, 11:36   #8

Town: Norfolk & East Coast
Make: Excedo
Length: 4m +
Engine: 70
I had a Zodiac jet rib, with the Yammy engine. It was two stroke and ever so smokey at low speed. from what I understand, the older ones are fitted with an oil pump which pumps oil at the amount required at full chat, therefore pumping lots of oil at low speeds. The newer ones have a variable oil pump which reduces the smoke at low revs.

It was a pig to manoeuvre at low speeds, and there is forward motion as soon as the engine running.

At high speeds it was very responsive and it all made sense.

I would have another if all I did was to run at high speed. As a tender, in harbours etc - no.
Old 23 April 2016, 12:14   #9

Thanks Tim.....I'm sold now. Yes, the former, buzzing around and not anything serious nor choppy water. As Dave mentioned earlier, I may nip over to Skipton and have a go at pushing one around when the salesman isn't looking !

I see some bargains on mainland Europe when people with huge boats are wanting to sell their old tenders, but they are still quite scarce in the UK.
Old 23 April 2016, 21:09   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
I would say if you're planning to do a lot of watersports with it along with buzzing around in sheltered waters and picnicking on the beach then a jet RIB is spot on. If more serious stuff (like going around the Isle of Wight or similar) is the plan you'll be better off with a more traditional outboard powered RIB with jockey seating (small jet ribs don't like the rough stuff much!). Much safer than something with an outboard when you've got people in the water. Beaching is also a lot easier as you can nudge it up onto the beach without having to worry about the prop and making sure the leg is deep enough to get enough cooling water. Avon is obviously a respected brand. I like Williams but they are quite pricey. With regards laughing it, you'll have no problems launching something of around 4m single handed on a shallow slip.
You shouldn't run a jet pump in less than 24" of water not so different to a small OB, also a small OB isn't as affected by a pebble, or a brush with some weeds (weed at low rpm will choke any small jet even the bigs ones, at high rpm it's fine but low rpm is a real pita..... Seen 1800cc supercharged skis choked by weed (much weed on Windermere?)

I would be concerned about parts for the older Avons the main engine bits are probably easily found but Avon specific bits may be an issue

If you do go look at one I suggest you water test under full load not just run on a hose........

Also get the pump,assembly checked any more than a rival between the impeller and wear ring and its strip the pump (not sure what the pump they used is?)
Old 23 April 2016, 21:46   #11

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfield View Post
....."That said, I'm a bit of a petrol head, so a jet rib is what I ideally want....

That doesn't quite compute, if it's performance you want, you're barking up the wrong tree

Sh1t happens
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2016, 07:39   #12

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yamaha
Ive had a few 320 jet ribs and too be honest i wouldn't have another two stroke or even the webber four stroke variant, the Yam two stroke is a very noisy beast..to the point of wearing ear defenders etc.. if you do go down this route. look at the heat exchanger. as they hold saltwater in and corrode like buggery. and propshaft bearing as they also corrode and dry up..Also the ally fuel tanks are prone to leaving especially the older ones as they never get washed off...
The four stroke version is a twin cyl turbocharged webber variant. if its a good one, well great otherwise attract electrical gremlins.. bloody expensive engine oil £60 per four litres.. you also cannot attach the consol from the front left. bad design.. its impossible.. front right can be done by undoing hatch and sticking a small hand all the way through from left to right and attempt to clip consol down
There is a dealer down south who ups the labour rate because of access of components and time taken etc. Four Stroke very quiet and extremely fast on calm water. 55mph in a 320 rib.. great fun and turn like on rails. but anything else but calm. not so good.. choppy ... forget it!
Old 24 April 2016, 22:00   #13

Didn't realise the 4 stroke was a Webber motor (similar was used in Polaris skis max 150 so may share some components in terms of pump etc) but parts are mega money and support hard to find Polaris pulled out of watercraft and Avon pulled out of jets....... (Tells you something?)
Edit: seems the sea sport metric used a different motor to the max 150 (supercharged not turbo and 100 not 150bhp)

What's the budget? If you want to go quick and turn heads

Sea Doo QRV iS |

Tags
rib