Old 23 July 2013, 08:13   #1

Boat name: Hysucat
Make: Hysucat
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Suzuki 175's
MMSI: 235102645
RIBase
Newbie dumb questions

Hi, Im still learning and looking for my first boat, so Ive a few questions that are possibly a bit dumb.

Hull shape ? I keep reading about different shaped hulls - more "V" shaped being better in rough conditions - is that right ? Also just how much of a difference will it make ? Will this affect me in the real world, or is it only at the limit of performance.

Other threads talk about some haveing more Chines, just how will / does this matter ?

Given I plan on getting a 6-7m boat and keeping it in Corsica - where Im yet to see waves that will excite a UK RIB owner, Im not sure if I need to worry too much.

Im looking at Capelli Tempests by the way, as they seem suited to the crusing / exploring / diving I plan to do.

Cheers.
Old 23 July 2013, 08:44   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Trimix - I've not been to Corsica, but all of the med can get a bit of chop on in a breeze so I wouldn't assume you don't want a good hull.

More V cuts through waves better but requires more power to drive it. Less V = smaller engine so cheaper package/higher speed but less comfort. The difference is noticeable even in small waves and sensible speeds. Whether it matters to you is a different question.

Chines, spray rails etc are a bit more complex. Are you looking for speed, comfort, minimum power, tight cornering etc?

If you are going to spend a lot of money on a rib - you might want to look at something like this: http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/book-rev...ike-55918.html
Old 23 July 2013, 09:45   #3

RIBase
OK cheers, thats helpfull. Ive booked myself on an ICC course the week after next down in Poole - where I can learn a bit more.

I will also have a look at the book - plus all the magazines etc.

As for your comments about the Med, your right, it can get a bit choppy - Im looking for a boat that I can explore the Island with comfortably, go diving from and mess about trying to waterski - so thats an all round package.

If its a pronounced V then I will need a larger engine then. I suppose if Im behind the wheel standing up I will be OK, but my fellow boaters will soon get bounced out if its too rough.
Old 23 July 2013, 10:09   #4

Town: glasgow
Boat name: arriba
Make: marlin
Length: 7m +
Engine: suzuki 300
for anywhere with sun a bimini is a must
and probably fresh water shower
we toured the greek isles in a uk built rib
was positively industrial compared to med style ribs
and we all got cooked
Old 23 July 2013, 10:40   #5

RIBase
Ha ha, yup a full sun cover and freshwater shower are on my list of must haves. As is a fridge for the Champagne

I also imagine a standard boarding ladder will not take the weight of a fully kitted diver either, so I guess I will have to pay for a proper diving one. Unless anyone recons the standard strong enough ?
Old 23 July 2013, 10:58   #6

Town: Whitehaven
Boat name: Cerberus
Make: Destroyer 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115hp Merc 4st
A decent beam (width) is also very useful for diving where you have lots of kit and people scrambling over eachother whilst kitting up. My Zodiac hull is an interesting mix of a reasonable V at the front but with 2 very pronounced chines starting about a third of the way back developing into a cathederal shape at the transom (sort of a vVv) shape. This gives a wide beam (1.3m inside) stable platform at rest and reasonable lumpy water handling. The compromise is that the ride can get a little bit harsh as the sea gets choppier and it certainly not as smooth as a deep V hull. Still, the extra width over many other 5-5.5m boats is very useful with 4 divers all kitted out for uk waters.

Phil M
Old 23 July 2013, 14:00   #7

Town: Exeter
Make: Highfield
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF90
The V's effect on speed is not all doom and gloom. I recently transferred a Suzuki 60 from a medium V-hulled rib to a similar sized deeper V-hulled rib. Neither boats are big at only 5.2m but performance in a flat sea is the same at around 31kts WOT, as the boat with the deeper V is narrower and slightly lighter. As mentioned, it is smoother in the chop as well.