Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 27 March 2006, 09:49   #11
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,688
I am probably being a thickie here but what are these "trim tabs" referred to?

sounds like a good idea, what with the Saaf Atlantic being a bit choppy...
__________________

__________________
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2006, 10:04   #12
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Some people swear by them - others at them.

On smaller boats lots of people like the automatic types - on bigger boats you have 2 main types - normal ones - electric or hydraulic - that stick out behind the boat.

http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/

Then there is a new type called the Volvo QL

http://www.foreandaftmarine.com/VO-QL3841717.htm

These are what I am going to fit.

Trim tabs are great for getting a boat to run level - also for correcting torque probs etc.
__________________

__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2006, 11:39   #13
Member
 
Country: Canada
Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 2,097
You dont need trim tabs on a 5.8m RIB no matter how choppy the saarf atlantic is. Trim tabs are no substitute for a well balanced RIB and are really only needed on larger (say 7.5m upwards) RIBS and larger powerboats. The can be used to aid getting on the plane (particularly say for larger powerboats) and to counteract the 'leaning into the wind' effect that planing boats can suffer from.

For the original poster. You sound as though you know boats pretty well and of course have an excellent RIB to play in. Explore and extend your comfort zone yourself, remembering that all ribster talk in the pub about doing 40kts through Force 12 seas and pah it was nothing. Reality is often very different!
The Scorp is a capable hull and often more soft riding at 30kts than 20. Over confidence can lead to stuffing, impacted spine, ejection of passengers etc etc just as on any other RIB!
__________________
Out of the fog......
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2006, 11:39   #14
Member
 
Country: Canada
Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 2,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Some people swear by them - others at them.

On smaller boats lots of people like the automatic types - on bigger boats you have 2 main types - normal ones - electric or hydraulic - that stick out behind the boat.

http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/

Then there is a new type called the Volvo QL

http://www.foreandaftmarine.com/VO-QL3841717.htm

These are what I am going to fit.

Trim tabs are great for getting a boat to run level - also for correcting torque probs etc.
Are these post collecting the boat from Prosport or before? If the latter then presumably this means you wont see the boat til the Autumn then?
__________________
Out of the fog......
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2006, 13:52   #15
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
You dont need trim tabs on a 5.8m RIB no matter how choppy the saarf atlantic is. Trim tabs are no substitute for a well balanced RIB and are really only needed on larger (say 7.5m upwards) RIBS and larger powerboats.
Thanks. This is Good News as I have already spent enough on this hobby to keep my bank account looking ill for a while
__________________
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2006, 14:14   #16
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
Are these post collecting the boat from Prosport or before? If the latter then presumably this means you wont see the boat til the Autumn then?
Will fit myself - the QL ones look pretty simple.....
__________________

__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:59.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.