Old 27 June 2010, 21:18   #1

newbie advice on 6m

hi folks, hope you can help please.

looking for some help from the masses. i've owned boats most of my life but i've decided to have a dabble with a RIB and i know next to nothing about them.

i have put a deposit on a porters 6 metre rib on spur of the moment and wondering if anyone here can give me a sense check that this is worth having.

this is the boat in question http://www.boatshop24.co.uk/cG9ydGVy...0_Trailer.html

so far i don't know a whole lot about it other than what you see in the advert (the year build of 2000 is not confirmed yet). i will know more tomorrow when i call to pay for it as it's being held for me just now.

is this a good rib to cut my teeth on and what the tubes are made of etc? just general info/opinions on it would be most welcome as the dealer info is limited just now. (will all be confirmed this week).

cheers
Old 27 June 2010, 21:43   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
I'd never buy a boat from a broker without seeing it first and checking it over throughly!

I'd recommend a survey by a surveyor who does a lot of ribs if you're a newbie to them. Could save you thousands.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2010, 21:59   #3

thanks for that but as there is 500 miles to travel i can't just nip in and see this :-(

a survey is certainly on the cards but just looking for other info as to if this is even worth pursuing?

cheers
Old 27 June 2010, 22:36   #4
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
thanks for that but as there is 500 miles to travel i can't just nip in and see this :-(

a survey is certainly on the cards but just looking for other info as to if this is even worth pursuing?

cheers
Pay cash on collection then. A 500 mile drive will pale into insignificance if you get there and it's a lemon that you've already paid for.

It's not a bad boat for the money.I've not heard anything inherently bad about them so far, but have a good look at the state of the engine (see here<click>). Tubes should be hypalon from memory.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2010, 22:42   #5

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Length: 6m +
Engine: PCM 5.7l
I used to know the tohatsu/porters history pretty well but i've all but forgotten it so don't take this as 100% fact but hopefully it'll be of use to you.

As far as i can remember, the hulls were built in decent numbers by porters and fitted out by the guys who later became Solent Ribs. Ours is essentially the same hull, apparently with a few changes but its hard to tell. It'll be light, fast and a good match for that engine.

Tubes are almost certainly hypalon, i'd expect the hull to be sound but always worth a survey.
Wouldn't be surprised if bits of the fit out lacks quality but should be a sound boat and its a lot of boat for the money!
Harry
Old 27 June 2010, 23:18   #6

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
That looks like a good price. Porters tubes are hypalon. If you want someone to go and have a look I would be happy to advise on it's condition etc. Drop me a PM or call if interested.
Old 28 June 2010, 06:47   #7

wow......tim-you have a pm my friend.

thanks for the other comments guys. i'll post more info when i have some.

tim has made a very generous offer and i thank you for it.

cheers
Old 28 June 2010, 13:18   #8
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Xk59D,

Have a search on here - I have a vague memory of a Porter's rib with a spongy deck - I'm not sure if that was a "one off" or if there was a wider problem?

There's not much info around on Porters (although I think? they are still selling boats) but as others have said there is an awful lot in common between the Porters hull shape/profile and Solent, Tohatsu and probably a few other brands. That means you can probably find a few articles on RIB international website reviewing those to get an idea of the ride etc. Finishing is obviously differnet between makes.

Finally - I'm sure tim will do a good job looking over the boat for you, but bear in mind that there will be no opportunity for redress if he says its fine and it turns out to be a wreck - whereas a surveyor will be insured. How much that matters will depend on how much you can afford - if this is draining your bank account, a cautious approach might be worthwhile. If you can easily afford to spend money sorting any issues - then the relative expense of a professional survey may not make sense.
Old 28 June 2010, 13:50   #9

thanks for that.

i have found an article on the tohatsu varient and i have seen the thread with the deck that suffered from dry rot.

i fully understand the survey point and i will be getting the rib surveyed regardless, just making sure this is a good enough buy spec wise to justify spending X on a full survey.

cheers
Old 28 June 2010, 13:56   #10
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
thanks for that.

i have found an article on the tohatsu varient and i have seen the thread with the deck that suffered from dry rot.

i fully understand the survey point and i will be getting the rib surveyed regardless, just making sure this is a good enough buy spec wise to justify spending X on a full survey.

cheers
make sure the engine is surveyed (its a big part of the value of the boat - and its quite feasible to rack up 4 figure repair bills on serious issues). I'm not sure about RIB surveys but yacht surveys often exclude the engine!
Old 28 June 2010, 14:23   #11

i just spoke to a local surveyor, very nice chap.

he will survey the boat/engine/trailer for me so that should be all good.

he has mentioned he doesn't like to survey boats when he can't try the motor in the water so thankfully this rib is on a wet berth just now so that shouldn't be an issue.

cheers
Old 02 July 2010, 07:59   #12

little update as promised folks.

the rib has fell through due to the deck being rotten as per others on this forum having same issue.

i also noticed in one of the pics i requested that the transom has bubbles formed, i don't know what they are but needless to say it set alarm bells off. BHG marine kindly went and checked it out before my surveyor travelled there this morning and advised they had a look yesterday after my bubbles comments and they noticed it's in a bad way underneath.

very hard to tell looking externally as the rib looks minted in the pics apart from the bubbles in transom so a little warning to my fellow newbies-

1. always get good pictures if possible (if like me it's 500 miles to go see it)

2. get a reputable surveyor everytime.

3. if you need a boat transported then check out www.shiply.com. i was quoted £269 to put the boat on a lowloader and bring it 498 miles to be exact=BARGAIN!

in the mean time the search goes on for my RIB...........

cheers