Old 30 April 2013, 18:57   #1

Town: Portland
Boat name: Tilikum
Make: Zodiac FC-470
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DT-40
New Zodiac FC470 owner with many questions

Hi.

I just received my first (used) boat last week and am completely new to boating and inflatables. I have many questions regarding care and restoration of the boat. Here's a few:

1. Is there a Conditioner/UV protectant out there that you would recommend for the Hypalon?
2. Any suggestions for what to use for glue residue removal? Can I use Goo-gone safely on the Hypalon?
3. Is there a Hypalon compatible touch up paint available for parts of the Hypalon where the fabric has been exposed from wear?
4. The paint has worn off D-rings. Any suggestion of what to use to re-coat them?
5. Recommendations for salt deposit removal? All the eyelets have salt deposits on them.
6. Where do you source spare parts for repair? Is there a place online that you recommend?
7. What size and type of trailer do you recommend for a 15.5" Zodiac FC470?
8. The transom needs to be refinished and rebuilt. Any tips and suggestions of how to go about it and where to source parts?
9. Are the valves easy to rebuilt yourself and where do you source new parts, gaskets, etc?
10. The wood on the floor between bow and aluminum floor as well as the wood on the transom need refinishing. Any suggestions for salt water resistant paint or anti-slip coating?

If you own one of these I would love to hear more about how you went about restoring and refinishing as well as where you sourced parts and materials.

Thanks!
Old 30 April 2013, 21:22   #2

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Pictures!!

Addressing many of your questions depend on "how bad is it"? So pictures would be a huge help in figuring out solutions.
Old 30 April 2013, 21:33   #3

I will take some photos tonight.
Old 30 April 2013, 21:50   #4

Town: New Jersey
Make: 733
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar
congrats on the boat, you'll be hooked on inflatables the first time you get it on the water.
Search on this site for alot of helpful info.

1: 303 aerospace protectant
2:Glue from hypalon repairs, or leftover from old lettering etc?
3: I wouldnt use paint. Look at a product called tuff coat. It is a refurbishing product that im sure you could just use to touchup the hypalon
4: D rings are not generally painted. They should be stainless which requires exposure to oxygen to not rust
5: Water and soap
6: There are a few reputable dealers around, but they'll cost a pretty penny. Look on ebay etc for cheaper stuff.
7: custom made to support speed tubes and ESPECIALLY the transom. Or a flat utility trailer long enough to support transom.
8: Need to be more specific
9: yes, source parts online. If you need to bite the bullet and order from a dealer, there are a bunch around
10: Any marine paint designed for wood. There are a few ways to make it non slip- add sand into the paint, etc. Search this site. Flowcoat should come up in alot of the conversations here but might be hard to source in the US.

Post some pics to see what we're dealing with.
Old 01 May 2013, 00:13   #5

Here is a couple of pictures I took when it first arrived. One valve dial is missing a piece on the edge and there are some deposits on all valves. I suspect a leak in the bow chamber as well, possibly from the valves. One handles is missing and the Transom looks a little rough. I'd like to find all new parts for the Transom to repair and repaint. Other than through a retailer are parts available online at all? I have searced but found nothing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5936.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	79403   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5937.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	79404   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5939.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	79405   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5940.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	79406   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5947.jpg
Views:	1085
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	79407  

Old 01 May 2013, 00:17   #6

Here are some more photos. There is hole in the bottom near the Transom and a sloppy patch job that I'd like to clean up. Also some delamination in the side seam.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5949.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	79408   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5950.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	79409   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5953.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	79410   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5969.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	79411   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5970.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	79412  

Old 01 May 2013, 00:26   #7

Thanks!

1. I'll check it out. Also good for cleaning or should I use a different product for cleaning. Just soap and water perhaps?
2. Yes, there is excess patch glue as well as duck tape residue etc.
3. Great thanks. I'm just looking to cover smaller spots where it has worn through to the fabric.
4. All the D-rings had at some point a black rubber/paint coating on them but has since worn off. I wonder if they used Plasti-Dip or something similar? I will take a picture so you can see for your self.
5. Ok.
6. I have a local dealer which I am sure I will frequent regularly but I have found very few places online that sell parts for these boats. Ebay doesn't even have that many parts.
7. Ok.
8. See photos. I would like to replace/rebuild the Transom. Is it possible to source new identification plates?
9. Recommendations?
10.Ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95gstnj View Post
congrats on the boat, you'll be hooked on inflatables the first time you get it on the water.
Search on this site for alot of helpful info.

1: 303 aerospace protectant
2:Glue from hypalon repairs, or leftover from old lettering etc?
3: I wouldnt use paint. Look at a product called tuff coat. It is a refurbishing product that im sure you could just use to touchup the hypalon
4: D rings are not generally painted. They should be stainless which requires exposure to oxygen to not rust
5: Water and soap
6: There are a few reputable dealers around, but they'll cost a pretty penny. Look on ebay etc for cheaper stuff.
7: custom made to support speed tubes and ESPECIALLY the transom. Or a flat utility trailer long enough to support transom.
8: Need to be more specific
9: yes, source parts online. If you need to bite the bullet and order from a dealer, there are a bunch around
10: Any marine paint designed for wood. There are a few ways to make it non slip- add sand into the paint, etc. Search this site. Flowcoat should come up in alot of the conversations here but might be hard to source in the US.

Post some pics to see what we're dealing with.
Old 01 May 2013, 05:07   #8

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Hiya Portland;

My take:

1) 303 is great; a cover when storing is better (not like I use one)
2) Be aware that hypalon glue has a 1 year shelf life. otherwise, what 95 said.
3) In theory, yes. Practically, not really.
4) If they're stainless (which they should be) don't worry about it.
5) Lots of water. A hose with a stream nozzle should do fine.
6) Depends on what you're looking for. Boating stuff in general is overpriced. Genuine Zodiac stuff moreso. For inflatables, NRSWeb is a good place to start.
7) Bigger is better up to a point. Longer trailers are easier to maneuver, and a heavier duty trailer will not be worn out by day to day stuff. Storage is usually the issue with that though. Trailers don't last forever (and components even less.)
8) Depends on what you need.
9) See #8.
10) Can;t go wrong with a bit (or a lot) of sanding, and several coats of either spar varnish or a clear epoxy. Polyester surfboard resin (see Tap Plastics) might do as well.

Sorry to be brief; I had a few too many at the bar tonight.

Welcome to the forum, and have fun with the boat;

jky
Old 02 May 2013, 17:04   #9

Here are some more images. I would like to fill in the dents and re-coat that wooden board in the first two pictures. Suggestions welcome. Second pic shows the D rings which were black at some point. I would like to make them black again as they originally were. Wondering what to use to coat them? Last two pictures shoes worn Hypalon. More of a cosmetic issue but I am wondering if there is some Hypalon compatible rubber paint I could use to touch these up with?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6029.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	79478   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6030.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	79479   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6031.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	79480   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6032.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	79481   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6033.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	79482  

Old 02 May 2013, 17:12   #10

Here are some pictures of the transom. The painted metal on top bar needs to be replaced as well as the plywood on the rear. Suggestions & thoughts welcome.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6034.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	79483   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6035.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	79484  
Old 02 May 2013, 17:21   #11

Does anyone have a parts or pricing list for Zodiac F470/FC470 parts? Are there board members who have parts available? After extensive searches online there's very few parts or places available other than going through a retailer.
Old 02 May 2013, 17:48   #12

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
There are mostly UK and EU members on this board. You will probably want to stick with a US based retailer however. Online tends to be similar pricing to a local place, at least in my area and I'm imagining Portland is similar. There are several inflatable places in Portland carrying Zodiac products. They aren't cheap anywhere.
Old 08 July 2013, 23:47   #13

Town: Vancouver, WA
Make: Zodiac FC470
Engine: 40 HP Yamaha
Congrats on for FC470! I actually just picked one up myself last week, and I happen to live in Vancouver, WA. We can meet up on Gov't Island!

Name:	Industrial CrossFit FC470.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	82609

Quote:
Originally Posted by F470 View Post
Hi.

I just received my first (used) boat last week and am completely new to boating and inflatables. I have many questions regarding care and restoration of the boat. Here's a few:

1. Is there a Conditioner/UV protectant out there that you would recommend for the Hypalon?
2. Any suggestions for what to use for glue residue removal? Can I use Goo-gone safely on the Hypalon?
3. Is there a Hypalon compatible touch up paint available for parts of the Hypalon where the fabric has been exposed from wear?
4. The paint has worn off D-rings. Any suggestion of what to use to re-coat them?
5. Recommendations for salt deposit removal? All the eyelets have salt deposits on them.
6. Where do you source spare parts for repair? Is there a place online that you recommend?
7. What size and type of trailer do you recommend for a 15.5" Zodiac FC470?
8. The transom needs to be refinished and rebuilt. Any tips and suggestions of how to go about it and where to source parts?
9. Are the valves easy to rebuilt yourself and where do you source new parts, gaskets, etc?
10. The wood on the floor between bow and aluminum floor as well as the wood on the transom need refinishing. Any suggestions for salt water resistant paint or anti-slip coating?

If you own one of these I would love to hear more about how you went about restoring and refinishing as well as where you sourced parts and materials.

Thanks!
Old 08 July 2013, 23:56   #14

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantG View Post
Congrats on for FC470! I actually just picked one up myself last week, and I happen to live in Vancouver, WA. We can meet up on Gov't Island!

Attachment 82609
Nice one, I think I have trailer envy! can you post any more pics of how you have the trailer set up
Old 09 July 2013, 20:22   #15

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
I was wondering why he had a gate on his trailer... Took a minute to figure it out.

I think I need a vacation.

jky
Old 11 July 2013, 23:26   #16

Definitely! You are now the 4th FC470 owner that I know of in the Portland/Vancouver area. Nice truck too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantG View Post

Attachment 82609
Old 12 July 2013, 05:14   #17

Town: Vancouver, WA
Make: Zodiac FC470
Engine: 40 HP Yamaha
Cool! Good to know there are a few other F470 owners in the PDX area. Do you have a motor for your Zodiac yet? I dont have one yet, but am planning to get one soon. In the meanwhile I have ten paddles and a lot of friends eager to get out on the water while the sun is out...