Old 16 August 2019, 13:42   #1

Length: 3m +
New vs New old RIB’s - When is New not New?

I’m considering buying a new FRIB 3750 from a dealer but am concerned to find out it is a 2017 model. That ‘new’ FRIB is inflated on a trailer and probably has been in the showroom or outside sun on display for a couple of years. Should I press for a new new RIB or accept this new old stock? Thanks for any sage advice.

Ray
Old 16 August 2019, 13:58   #2

Town: southampton
Make: ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140 suzuki
Rather annoying you got this far and the dealer didn't come clean in the first place.
Well I guess if the price is right and it's what you want, you can perhaps haggle for a discount on the age question and try your luck. Perhaps get another year warranty on the whole package. No reason not to ask now your aware of the age.

Would question why the boat has sat around for two years. Have you any other similar boats to get a price comparison? If its taken this long to sell, I guess the dealer will be wanting to off load it asap. Perhaps this time the buyer is in the stronger position. Good luck.
Old 16 August 2019, 14:01   #3

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
If it’s new from a dealer, the warranty should start on the day you purchased it, not the date it was made.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2019, 14:18   #4

Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
If it’s new from a dealer, the warranty should start on the day you purchased it, not the date it was made.
My primary concern is about the folding sealing strips, tubes, and/or tube attachment components (dry rot?) aging. After date of manufacture is a clock started?

This will be my first F-RIB (or any inflatable boat) so I’m ignorant about their shortcomings in this way. Am I worrying about nothing?

Ray
Old 16 August 2019, 15:00   #5

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nofear2trek View Post
My primary concern is about the folding sealing strips, tubes, and/or tube attachment components (dry rot?) aging. After date of manufacture is a clock started?

This will be my first F-RIB (or any inflatable boat) so I’m ignorant about their shortcomings in this way. Am I worrying about nothing?

Ray
I'd say it depends ....as Pikey says as long as the warranty starts from date of purchase....and you get an ex-display discount if it's been INSIDE a showroom ALL its life I'd have very few concerns.
If it's been outside in all weathers (U.V. Being the main concern) Personally I'd look elsewhere...as most inflatables only see a small fraction of their life actually exposed to the elements spending the vast amount of their time either being covered...Or Stored inside.

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2019, 18:52   #6

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Personally if your paying new price you want brand new in the box IMO if it's been on show its secondhand (demonstration boat) should have a big discount even if warranty starts when you buy.

Tags
rib