Old 27 July 2011, 05:51   #11

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
the loss adjustor 'should' be a formality....but its a double egded sword thing with them. You need to make him understand your plight at whats happened but not too much so he thinks its a con. They will view it as you getting a fair amount of 'betterment' from brand new tubes.....

I imagine he will be looking to see if they were on thier last legs anyway and the damage was done purely to get a new set.... (it happens, so try not to hold it against him), or maybe to see if they will rather pay a cash settlement based on the cost of the full retube being a high% of what the whole boat is worth and leave you to sort it out......

all things to consider and try and find out when the guy turns up....just make sure you are there to speak to him .....just try and understand what he is there for and what he 'could' think....

Old 27 July 2011, 05:57   #12

Town: Calne, Wiltshire
Boat name: Shot Away
Make: BWM DeepSea 21
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury BlackMax 200
Hmm, I hadn't thought of it like that. The tubes weren't in great condition to be fair, but I've never had a problem with them leaking or anything like that.

I guess the biggest argument against it is that if I had done it myself, I would never have done it in the middle of a diving season. Would have been a winter thing!

I'll be there when he comes, and will just be honest. Can't do more than that, and see where it leads me. I'll be a bit upset if the boat is written off or they refuse to pay. All I want is my boat back how it was!

Bloody insurance companies...

Old 27 July 2011, 06:51   #13

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calne Diver View Post
Don't forget the bloody vandals
Old 27 July 2011, 06:59   #14

Oh I haven't forgotten them! Part of me wants to sit in the boat for a week and waif for them to come back...
Old 27 July 2011, 08:33   #15

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calne Diver View Post
I'll be there when he comes, and will just be honest. Can't do more than that, and see where it leads me. I'll be a bit upset if the boat is written off or they refuse to pay. All I want is my boat back how it was!

I am confident it wil be dealt with. You have to be the loss adjustors best friend when he turns up - he will be the one telling the insurer what he thinks should happen . So if its a well loved RIB and he can see that he is far more liekely to OK the re tube and everyone is a winner ! You get nice shiny new tubes , someone gets the work to do it & all it costs is you excess - but check even if that applies as some policies wont if the boat is in its normal place of storage ( again read your wording to check 1st ).

One to consider if its retubed .....its worth more money ! so change the insurance after to account for the new value .

Not the idea of 'insurance' but 'could' be a nice outcome all the same ...

If its retubed you can also pay for any 'extra' bits yourself (wear patches etc)to suit while its in & have them done at the same time to match etc - again a possible benefit for you ... but dont mention that to the loss adjustor !
Old 27 July 2011, 08:38   #16

Good point about upgrading the insurance, I'd better do that afterwards.

I know what you mean about the outcome. Not ideal timing, but to have a nice new tube on it is going to make up for it a bit.

I already had wear patches and everything fitted, so am expecting like for like. I was thinking about a bow roller for pulling up heavy shot lines, but not sure I like the look of them. Thoughts?

Might be jumping the gun, haven't heard from them today at all...!
Old 02 September 2011, 14:36   #17

Fixed!!!

Well, the insurance company came through, and my boat got back from re-tubing today.

For anyone that needs their rib re-tubing, I can't recommend TIDEL enough. Paul Tilley and co did a fantastic job on it, really quickly and cheaper than other quotes I got. I'll try and stick a picture on here.

Can't wait to get her on the water and bounce a bottle of champagne off her (and then drink it!).

Thanks for everyone who helped...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	62271