Old 26 July 2011, 12:24   #1

Town: Calne, Wiltshire
Boat name: Shot Away
Make: BWM DeepSea 21
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury BlackMax 200
New Tube needed

Hi Guys,

My tube was cut to shreds by someone with a knife Sunday night...

My insurance company want two quotes before agreeing to repairs. I have one from Paul Tilley at Tidel, which is very competitive and seems to have a good rep. I tried Henshaws, but their phone numbers on their website is missing a digit!

Anyone know if they're still in business, or can recommend someone else who would do a good job?

Thanks!
Old 26 July 2011, 12:25   #2

See pic, attached!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9952.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	61098  
Old 26 July 2011, 12:26   #3

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
PM Chris (I think) He's Henshaw

Or send them an email.
Old 26 July 2011, 12:33   #4

I've emailed them, but nothing back yet. Need to get something over to the insurance company today really because it's a dive boat and I need it back diving!

I'll see if I can figure out PMing and get hold of Chris.

Cheers..
Old 26 July 2011, 13:12   #5

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Bubbas Bouy
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercruiser
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calne Diver
See pic, attached!!
Bar stewards ! 

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
Old 26 July 2011, 15:29   #6

Town: Leyland
Length: no boat
The number 01963 33237 works okay for me
Old 26 July 2011, 15:39   #7

Ok, I tried it from my mobile and it worked. From my work phone, it tells me it can't be connected. Possibly the system is looking for a different number of digits, as it's an american voice that tells me it can't be connected.

Got an email reply from them anyway, have three quotes now all gone to my insurer.

Has anyone else ever been told that they have to wait a month for the police investigation to complete before they'll consider paying out?

I have been told that they have completed their investigation, but not sure if the insurance company will shorten the period before paying out.
Old 26 July 2011, 21:39   #8
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Bloody hell-where was it parked? (don't give exact details)

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2011, 08:10   #9

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calne Diver View Post
Has anyone else ever been told that they have to wait a month for the police investigation to complete before they'll consider paying out?

I have been told that they have completed their investigation, but not sure if the insurance company will shorten the period before paying out.
I'd suggest to your insurers that this is complete rubbish ! On a total loss/theft they may wait to see if its recovered before paying but for damage its just twaddle.

I'd suggest calling them and asking them to point out in the policy wording where this is mentioned......I suspect they wont be able to as its not in there.....

I'm assuming your with one of the main insurers. If they have the quotes they have asked for then they shoudl be able to authorise the repair ASAP. You cant go wong with the quotes you have quality wise, but ' tubers' can be very busy so worth seeing when anyone can do the work for you ?

If your insurers still drag on PM me - getting things like this sorted is part of my job .. Pete
Old 27 July 2011, 09:37   #10

Nos4r2 - it was parked in a little field about 100 yds to the side of my house, with another house directly overlooking it. Our village only has about 10 homes in it, and they are all old people. I would suspect that maybe someone wanted to steal it but it was all hitchlocked and wheel clamped, as well as the gate being well-secured.

On the other hand, they didn't take the flares, Oxygen Admin kit or even more importantly the Side Imaging Sonar system (all of which are now locked up seperately of course!).

PeterM - I've told them that the police have concluded their investigation (they did nothing except a search for similar crimes) and that they can proceed. I haven't heard the month thing mentioned again since. They are however sending over a Loss Adjuster to look at it. Not sure what the result of that could be?

They are one of the main ones, I believe. If their service turns out to be better than their initial contact then I'll name them. As for the tubers, one is saying complete within 5 weeks, and another 3 weeks, which isn't too bad but kills my whole diving season.

You were right about the policy wording though! Thanks for the offer of help too...
Old 27 July 2011, 09:51   #11

the loss adjustor 'should' be a formality....but its a double egded sword thing with them. You need to make him understand your plight at whats happened but not too much so he thinks its a con. They will view it as you getting a fair amount of 'betterment' from brand new tubes.....

I imagine he will be looking to see if they were on thier last legs anyway and the damage was done purely to get a new set.... (it happens, so try not to hold it against him), or maybe to see if they will rather pay a cash settlement based on the cost of the full retube being a high% of what the whole boat is worth and leave you to sort it out......

all things to consider and try and find out when the guy turns up....just make sure you are there to speak to him .....just try and understand what he is there for and what he 'could' think....
Old 27 July 2011, 09:57   #12

Hmm, I hadn't thought of it like that. The tubes weren't in great condition to be fair, but I've never had a problem with them leaking or anything like that.

I guess the biggest argument against it is that if I had done it myself, I would never have done it in the middle of a diving season. Would have been a winter thing!

I'll be there when he comes, and will just be honest. Can't do more than that, and see where it leads me. I'll be a bit upset if the boat is written off or they refuse to pay. All I want is my boat back how it was!

Bloody insurance companies...
Old 27 July 2011, 10:51   #13

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Quote:
Don't forget the bloody vandals
Old 27 July 2011, 10:59   #14

Oh I haven't forgotten them! Part of me wants to sit in the boat for a week and waif for them to come back...
Old 27 July 2011, 12:33   #15

Quote:
I'll be there when he comes, and will just be honest. Can't do more than that, and see where it leads me. I'll be a bit upset if the boat is written off or they refuse to pay. All I want is my boat back how it was!

I am confident it wil be dealt with. You have to be the loss adjustors best friend when he turns up - he will be the one telling the insurer what he thinks should happen . So if its a well loved RIB and he can see that he is far more liekely to OK the re tube and everyone is a winner ! You get nice shiny new tubes , someone gets the work to do it & all it costs is you excess - but check even if that applies as some policies wont if the boat is in its normal place of storage ( again read your wording to check 1st ).

One to consider if its retubed .....its worth more money ! so change the insurance after to account for the new value .

Not the idea of 'insurance' but 'could' be a nice outcome all the same ...

If its retubed you can also pay for any 'extra' bits yourself (wear patches etc)to suit while its in & have them done at the same time to match etc - again a possible benefit for you ... but dont mention that to the loss adjustor !
Old 27 July 2011, 12:38   #16

Good point about upgrading the insurance, I'd better do that afterwards.

I know what you mean about the outcome. Not ideal timing, but to have a nice new tube on it is going to make up for it a bit.

I already had wear patches and everything fitted, so am expecting like for like. I was thinking about a bow roller for pulling up heavy shot lines, but not sure I like the look of them. Thoughts?

Might be jumping the gun, haven't heard from them today at all...!
Old 02 September 2011, 18:36   #17

Fixed!!!

Well, the insurance company came through, and my boat got back from re-tubing today.

For anyone that needs their rib re-tubing, I can't recommend TIDEL enough. Paul Tilley and co did a fantastic job on it, really quickly and cheaper than other quotes I got. I'll try and stick a picture on here.

Can't wait to get her on the water and bounce a bottle of champagne off her (and then drink it!).

Thanks for everyone who helped...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	62271