RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by akis View Post
Which manufactures would u recommend and avoid?
Its probably not relevant, as I'd not be picking a rib with a sun pad, and with your budget and size expectations condition and age is going to be at least as important as the name on the side.
Quote:
Unfortunately due to the exchange rate being so poor they are more expensive in Greece and you can't find anything with the right amount of seating even if it is a 10m rib. The ones ive seen don't seem to as well looked after and in poorer condition. Hence i'm concentrating my search in the UK where i can view them more easily etc.
I always take the view that boats evolve to suit the local conditions (waves, weather, climate, usage etc) - I'm not convinced that a "British" rib and a "Med" rib are the same thing - although perhaps a South Coast of England rib has enough in common. A ferry fare, and towing costs (including a good condition trailer you don't need) might mean that overall the exchange rate is not quite so bad.
Old 17 March 2017, 12:33   #22

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Aquaholic
Make: Ribeye
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha 225 Outboard
Hi Guys,

Ive found a ribeye 785 within budget.
What is this like for use out on the water. It will be kept in Greece but in cluster of islands where it can be quite windy and choppy at times.
Needs to be able to handle some mild to bad weather.

Any advice on this rib would be great.

Thanks
Akis
Old 17 March 2017, 12:47   #23

Town: Porchfield
Boat name: Katie
Make: Stingher
Length: 10m +
Engine: Verado 350 x 2
I personally find the 'flat' style of the ribeye off-putting, in a bit of sea you want some bow rise. If you look at other brands considered better sea going boats they all run with curved, higher bows - better with a following sea and less risk of stuffing? Been on a couple of ribeyes in the past and they were OK, but didn't feel the need to own one.........just my humble opinion
Old 17 March 2017, 13:43   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee argyle View Post
I personally find the 'flat' style of the ribeye off-putting, in a bit of sea you want some bow rise. If you look at other brands considered better sea going boats they all run with curved, higher bows - better with a following sea and less risk of stuffing? Been on a couple of ribeyes in the past and they were OK, but didn't feel the need to own one.........just my humble opinion

Thanks for the advice Lee - the odds on me going out in rough weather are slim as we would only be using it for recreational purposes - getting to secluded beaches and a spot of snorkelling - wouldn't really us it much for long trips in open water.

I'm struggling to find anything around £20k and under that will seat 8+ people relatively comfortably.

With the ribeye is it just not great in really rough seas - what about in moderate to calmer waters.

Sorry for all the questions but this would be my first purchase and havent got a clue where to start and what is good and what isnt - or what I should be looking out for.
Old 17 March 2017, 13:55   #25

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
I'm sure that a lot of Ribeye owners would disagree I only have a lickle boat ( not a Ribeye ) but I have learned to trim my engine right up when in a following sea trying to keep up with the big boy's in some pretty dodgy seas.... mainly up on the West Coast of Scotland so I'm sure that a 7 meter Ribeye would be more than adequate :thumbup: just my opinion of course.
Old 17 March 2017, 14:06   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post
I'm sure that a lot of Ribeye owners would disagree I only have a lickle boat ( not a Ribeye ) but I have learned to trim my engine right up when in a following sea trying to keep up with the big boy's in some pretty dodgy seas.... mainly up on the West Coast of Scotland so I'm sure that a 7 meter Ribeye would be more than adequate :thumbup: just my opinion of course.
cheers thanks

Been reading a lot of old threads and there seems to be mixed feelings about Ribeyes - a lot of haters out there. From what I can tell the older ones had some issues with build quality etc which seem to have been resolved in later models.

The one I am looking at is 2005 model with 225hp Yamaha engine with 470hrs on it.

So have no idea if this falls into the badly built category or not.
Old 17 March 2017, 14:15   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post
Sure your right and the ribeye is a capable boat, but is it the best choice.................
There's a rib-ride business near me in Yarmouth, spends the summer taking holiday-makers out to the needles and he primarily uses ribeye, he seems quite happy with them
Old 17 March 2017, 14:18   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by akis View Post
cheers thanks

Been reading a lot of old threads and there seems to be mixed feelings about Ribeyes - a lot of haters out there. From what I can tell the older ones had some issues with build quality etc which seem to have been resolved in later models.

The one I am looking at is 2005 model with 225hp Yamaha engine with 470hrs on it.

So have no idea if this falls into the badly built category or not.
I'd beg, steal, borrow a ride on as many rib's as possible, you'll soon know what brand of boat and hull style appeals to you - then you can make an informed decision, with a little help and advice from rib.net lol
Old 17 March 2017, 15:18   #29

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Sure your right and the ribeye is a capable boat, but is it the best choice
More £££££ the better choice you have for sure !! you can buy a super rib like a Goldfish for eg.