Old 24 August 2011, 11:05   #11

Boat name: Custard Pie
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
I was in your position earlier this year and got some good advice from this forum. I ended up with a 5.3 Humber Destroyer with a Yam 115hp 2-stroke for a tad over 3000. Although not the prettiest RIB design out there, it has seats for 4 and will also fit a small tender on board. It was re-tubed last year and is in good condition overall. I've taken it out in fairly heavy swell around the Scilly Isles and it is very stable. The boats ARE out there, you just have to keep your eyes peeled.
Good luck with your search.

Old 24 August 2011, 12:06   #12
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingly View Post
One concern I do have is the running costs for a 90+ hp. Could anyoe offer guidance on average fuel used and servicing costs. Thanks.
There is a ribnet rule of thumb that most boats cruise at around 1 L/NM almost regardless of size or engine. Obviously there are variations (+/- 20% even on the boats that follow the rule). Above about 50 HP the rule usually seems to apply. If you are speed hungry, taking out heavy divers etc the rule may not work.

There is also another rule of thumb that for each 10HP of engine it will use 1 US Gal per hour at full throttle, i.e. 34 L/h. A 4 stroke may use a bit less than that, but for budget purposes it works!

Servicing costs probably don't change much from 40-100 HP since its mostly time for taking it apart and replacing the impellor and generally checking it over. I'd expect to pay 100-200 depending on age/condition/local competition etc.
Old 24 August 2011, 14:05   #13

Town: Oxford
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: no boat
Engine: No Boat
PercyP what is the seating configuration to seat 4? I have seen a number of engines with new impellers. Is this a common replacement? If I'm correct, the impeller is involved in pumping the water. If the engine is flushed regularly, does this prevent replacement?
Old 24 August 2011, 16:37   #14
RIBnet admin team

The impellor is like a little rubber "fan" that sucks water in the engine leg and through the engine to cool it. Flushing is really about keeping the water passages clear and getting corrosion inducing, salt depositing water out the engine rather than protecting the impellor. The impellor itself, as with all things rubber wears, goes hard, brittle etc over time. This is obviously not good and if it fails at sea is a total disaster (potential engine seizure or limp home mode at least). The part is cheap so normal preventative maintainence is to replace it frequently (most people suggest annually, some do it biannually and you will find people with 8+ yr old engines which have never been changed). Its not a majorly difficult job but it involves dropping the bottom off the engine which takes some time.
Old 24 August 2011, 18:11   #15

Polwart, thanks for the information. This is worth knowing and is something that will be done when I find a suitable boat.
Old 25 August 2011, 05:11   #16

Hi Kingly - my RIB has jockey seating for 4 down the centre.The console is quite far forward.

Hopefully, I've managed to attach a pic of the boat in the Scillies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09251.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	62006  
Old 25 August 2011, 07:56   #17

Thanks for the picture, helps in my thinking and understanding.

With reference to 2 or 4 stroke, which is the better one to go for?
Old 25 August 2011, 13:04   #18

Someone else will be along soon with a fuller explanation, but 4-stroke is more economical in terms of fuel consumption. We have a 2-stroke and it guzzles the petrol in a scary manner... especially when petrol is 2.00/litre on Scilly...eek!!
Old 25 August 2011, 13:09   #19
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingly View Post
Thanks for the picture, helps in my thinking and understanding.

With reference to 2 or 4 stroke, which is the better one to go for?

With your budget you will be going with whichever is on the boat! There may be pros and cons of each (search the forum as it has been discussed before) but if you get a boat that meets the rest of your spec a 2 or 4 / isn't going to make or break a deal.

4/ might be 20% more efficient in a perfect comparison but you probably can't really tell in normal cruising use.
Old 25 August 2011, 16:34   #20

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
How about a reasonable Humber 5.3M Rib with double jockey seats. 2004/5 Mercury 60hp EFI 4 stroke PTT Electric Start. Rated to carry 9. Free trailer which needs repair but well within budget.

Priced at just 3,500 you won't get better at the money. The motor is quality and will make a fantastic first Boat. Like it move on up. Decide it's not for you move it on and get your money back. No brainer

Peter

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007