DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Quote:
Originally posted by John Kennett
Or possibly scare yourself badly enough to give up boating altogether.
OK, OK. I Promise. no more tongue in cheek advice. Seriously, i think the yam 4/ is a brillant lump. I would dearly like to have one hanging off the back of my tub but that will have to wait til I get my inheritance. Did Pwhelli-Dublin last year in a Humber 5m with a 50 hp pensioners engine on the back. The only fault I could find was that it is so quiet its hard to tell when its running.
Old 28 August 2002, 19:04   #22

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat
Charles

No,no,no, just idling around Caley Marina, poking my nose into things that aren't my business! Actualy I'd just dropped of my engine for it's first service.

Keith (still a committed siber) Hart
Old 03 September 2002, 08:05   #23

Town: Oxford
Make: Ribtec, Ballistic, C
Engine: 40hp 4 strokes - twi
Yes I agree a 40 four stroke would be a perfect starter engine for a boat between 4.5 and 5m, It is true that It will not be rocket speed but unless you have some experience small ribs with large engines can be a handful. I have seen loads of ribs around that size with 40,s and they all run at around 20 to 25 knots which is plenty quick enough (well to begin with anyway) The other option would be to stick a mariner 50 on the boat which are very reliable, and economical engines. I think that you will find that in any kind of a swell it will be a bit lively and you would probably prefer the 40. Maraner and mercury do a very good 40 horse and I have found that the Hondas are prone to having their water collect systems block sometimes.