Old 07 March 2007, 02:27   #1

Town: Bay Area, CA
Make: Searider 4m and 5.4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 50hp
New to Ribs

Hey guys, I am completely new to ribs, but have owned for the past year a 9ft Zodiac with a 5hp motor. I am in the market for something bigger and more powerful but would need to keep it below 2k USA dollars. I recently found this ad and was wondering what someone more experienced thinks. He wants $1800. He claims the boat is a '75 and the motor is a '82 that is in good shape. He said the only possible problem one tube is starting to pull off the transom a bit but has not increased in the last year of use. Does this seem like a good deal or are its days numbed? Thanks for the help and the great website.

Mike

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Avon 4m SeaRider

This boat runs great, and is very roomy. Hypalon tubes, no leaks. Wheel steering. Electric start. The tubes have no leaks, and hold air forever, however are a bit underinflated in the pics, due to the cold weather. The trailer is a bit undersized, but gets the job done. This is a rigid-hulled boat, very stable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9Kc4alEVRPFc3BnTJPJt5nT7abph.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	25352   Click image for larger version

Name:	YGeePG8YCVvxq3nt68MPk8oJHVTq.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	25353   Click image for larger version

Name:	F7xWFmlrqD6pskQJG8gBOdymTNYk.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	25354   Click image for larger version

Name:	E42yoxMn5gSATs5PWGuehPimUNXF.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	25355  
Old 07 March 2007, 02:57   #2

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Hi Mike... One of the great things with Hypalon is that it is very repairable. I "tear" at the transom is worrisome however as it is a very high stress area. I would suggest you have a professional repair service have a look at it and give you an estimate to have it repaired properly. At the asking price, you can afford to spend a little on it. You might post a link to this thread on the North American forum since there are a number of folks from California there and no doubt someone can point you in the right direction! Avon SRs are great little boats.

Similarly, you could have the engine checked out. Depending on the hours and maintenance performed, it might be a good little engine... or it might be a dog.

I don't know that anyone her will be able to say "yea" simply because all we have to on are some pics. I would say it is worth further exploration.

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 March 2007, 07:13   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Hi, Mike;

Welcome to the pond.

Not much to add on the Searider, as I've never owned one. Quite a few Norte Americanos on here have, though. I'm sure they'll chime in by and by.

jky
Old 08 March 2007, 07:14   #4

Town: Bay Area, CA
Make: Searider 4m and 5.4m
Engine: Mercury 50hp
Do you think the hypalon has many years left in it for being a 70's? When do most inflatables get retired? more than 30 years?

Mike
Old 08 March 2007, 08:26   #5

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRags View Post
Do you think the hypalon has many years left in it for being a 70's? When do most inflatables get retired? more than 30 years?

Mike
How long Hypalon lasts seems to depend on who makes it and sticks it together... I have some orange stuff looking very sad in places after six and a half years but apparently that's OK... anyway I think Avons are a bit better built than "others".

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 March 2007, 09:17   #6

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Avon Hypalon

Until about 3 years ago I owned a 1978 Searider. The fabric was still in very good condition.

I believe the Avon fabric of that era to be very good quality and if it has been looked after should be in good shape.

Have a look at it - if the fabric has deteriorated - through abrasion or UV exposure it should be pretty obvious.

$1800 for a boat / engine / trailer is very good value if it all works.
Old 08 March 2007, 14:51   #7
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
I agree with Searider and the others-but I'd change the engine. The 40hp twin cyl mercury wasn't very good (Selling it would fund buying a better one though.)

My sr4 is '84 and the fabric is still fine.
I sold an Avon Redcrest from 1973 a couple of years ago and it was still fine-I think it's the same grade hypalon and this one had been regularly used by my family as a yacht tender since new with much abuse.

Looking closer I'd change the valves if they are still the old style black rubber Avon ones.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 March 2007, 17:33   #8

Town: Toronto
We have repaired numerous Seariders and other Avon models of similar age. The hypalon coated fabric used for the tubes is very durable. Check outside seam tapes to determine if they are a thin strip of hypalon rubber (i.e. not coated fabric). This type of seam tape will develop cracks and you may notice some slow air leaks on the seams if you wet them with soapy water. The seams can be re-taped, but it is a tedious job. If the seam tapes are cut from a lighter weight hypalon coated fabric, you may not see any seam leaks. I would also check the plywood transom core for rot. An aluminum transom cap was likely attached to the top edge of the transom with screws and not much in the way of sealant. Also, have a look at the SS transom braces. The reinforced deck and SS 'bolts' can be another area for rot in the plywood.

DB