Old 19 September 2011, 20:11   #1

Length: no boat
New to ribbing - advice re boat selection

Hello all

I am looking for some advice re purchasing a rib. I am new to ribbing, but have had an interest for a little while now, and having now saved up enough to make a purchase (hopefully), I need advice on the right rib to buy.

A safe and seaworthy rib is the main criteria for me - I live on the Isle of Man, and want to be able to travel to the mainland, or to Ireland of a weekend, as well as a bit of diving and leisure use. Having had a good look around, I assume that a 5.5m rib would be okay for me, but I am open to any input from experienced people. I have a budget of £7.5 to work to. Having looked around the net, and a few boat parks, I like the look of the Delta rib's (they look pretty sturdy), but i'm not certain that I would find one within my budget. There are a lot of Northcraft rib's locally, that come up for sale from time to time, but I am not sure what they are like.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Old 19 September 2011, 21:10   #2

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
being that trips to Ireland or the mainland will be upwards of 30-50 miles thats quite a trip to undertake in a 5.5 meter in anything but calm conditions....really I would be looking at a minimum of 6.5 meter to undertake these kind of trips.

6.5 meter ribs do come up in your price range however it will be an older boat, probably late 90's early 2000's. If you can stretch to 10k you will more than likely find something very capable that will keep you going for a few years.

As for make then all the usual suspects are covered in a multitude of "Rib Advice" posts on here so no need to list them all out here (apart from Osprey of course )

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2011, 21:15   #3

Thank you, Chris - happy to take advice as that is what I am here for. If a 6.5m is a better bet, I can look for one, or save up a bit more! Are there any makes or types of RIB that I should avoid, given the intended use?
Old 19 September 2011, 21:20   #4

Town: Rosas
Boat name: Conqueror
Make: Valiant
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard 150hp Merc
Send a message via Skype™ to Courageous
........ Are there any makes or types of RIB that I should avoid, given the intended use?
Old 19 September 2011, 21:27   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courageous View Post
........ Are there any makes or types of RIB that I should avoid, given the intended use?
Thank you for the highly informative response - very helpful.

Given that I am new to this, and have limited knowledge, all I was asking for was some sound advice from some experienced enthusiasts - obviously too much to ask... I won't bother posting here again.

Enjoy the popcorn...
Old 19 September 2011, 21:30   #6

Would hate to pass comment however I would avoid the more leisure / med type ribs, I would avoid bench seating (certainly for the Helm anyway).

Born fiddler
Old 19 September 2011, 21:33   #7

In case you do pop by for another look, then there is a rib show coming up in March next year that might be of interest aimed at selling used ribs

National Used Rib Show

Born fiddler
Old 19 September 2011, 21:42   #8

Mike - don't let me influence your decision to stay or go. Everyone here knows I have no sway there. I was merely sitting back waiting for the masses to tell you to steer clear of this boat, avoid that. Everyone seems to have their favourites as you would expect.

I wouldn't hang around though if you are going to be so sensitive.
Old 19 September 2011, 21:48   #9

I'm not here to argue with anyone, genuine advice is all i'm after. To be fair, I have been saving up for years for this, and am pretty daunted about it as my knowledge is limited, and I don't want to buy a mistake that lands me in trouble in the middle of the Irish sea.

Aside from popcorn, would you happen to have any advice on a suitable boat, or things to look for?

Chris - thank you for the advice.
Old 19 September 2011, 21:51   #10

Osprey, Humber, Ribcraft, Ribtec, Ribquest, Delta, Tornado all good boats

There are others however this would be a good starting point...

Born fiddler
Old 19 September 2011, 21:52   #11

Town: Northumberland
Boat name: Dr Doof
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 125hp
MMSI: 235082981
What about something like this?

Cobra 6.75 mtr Rib x 115hp Mariner Outboard | eBay

Don't know much about them but I think a couple of owners on here.

It's in budget and is a good size
Old 19 September 2011, 21:52   #12

Hehe! THAT's better Mike! I am a valiant user and operate a 7.5m version. I believe they are not popular around these parts but they are fairly reasonable cost wise. I have actually had some quality issues but since I am using mine to hire out to groups of divers it's not expected to stand the test of time cosmetically. She is, however, a great sea boat and I do like the way the transom is formed into a strong well rather than a simple transom "board". You could do a lot worse than go "Osprey" IMHO.

Do hope that goes some way to helping.
Old 19 September 2011, 21:55   #13

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike78 View Post
Thank you for the highly informative response - very helpful.

Given that I am new to this, and have limited knowledge, all I was asking for was some sound advice from some experienced enthusiasts - obviously too much to ask... I won't bother posting here again.

Enjoy the popcorn...
Blimey, lighten up a bit The popcorn probably wasn't for you, it was more likely for the usual suspects You're going to need a thicker skin
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2011, 22:12   #14

Thank you, gentlemen - now have something to work with.

Dr Doof - that looks right up my street, and I can catch a ferry direct to Fleetwood at the weekend - will make contact about that one.

Regarding engines - can anyone tell me if it is better to have one large engine, or two smaller ones (I just missed out on a 5.5m osprey with twin 50hp evinrudes).
Old 19 September 2011, 22:17   #15

This is the one I missed out on - RIB - Osprey Strike Eagle 5.6m - ManxAds

Another one which is for sale locally - http://www.manxads.com/?Title=Northc...istingId=34343
Old 19 September 2011, 22:20   #16

Town: Northumberland
Boat name: Dr Doof
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 125hp
MMSI: 235082981
Single or twins?

http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/single-or-twin-41282.html
Old 19 September 2011, 23:37   #17
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
I like the look of the Delta rib's (they look pretty sturdy), but i'm not certain that I would find one within my budget. There are a lot of Northcraft rib's locally, that come up for sale from time to time, but I am not sure what they are like.
Delta's are certainly well build boats with a strong reputation / following. They do not get universal support in the "leisure" market though (and its not just aesthetics) and you would be advised to test the sort of boat you are thinking of in typical conditions.

Whilst Northcraft ribs are also dive/commercial styled they are usually seen as lower price point. Of course that may no be an issue for you since you are essentially looking for a second hand boat in a particular price - so would be looking at an "old" Northcraft v's a "very old" Delta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courageous View Post
Hehe! THAT's better Mike! I am a valiant user and operate a 7.5m version. I believe they are not popular around these parts but they are fairly reasonable cost wise.
Actually from what I can recall everyone here who has owned one says good things about Valiants. They are a bit too mass produced for the typical ribnetter who usually prefers to know the name of the guy who laid up the glass fibre on the hull! There are a variety of "styles" of valiant and some may be better suited to the OP's requirements (e.g. seating arrangements etc).

Quote:
Dr Doof - that looks right up my street, and I can catch a ferry direct to Fleetwood at the weekend - will make contact about that one.
Cobra never seem to feature on the typical "suggestion list". You might want to dig around and see why. It may just be an accidental omission.
Quote:
Regarding engines - can anyone tell me if it is better to have one large engine, or two smaller ones (I just missed out on a 5.5m osprey with twin 50hp evinrudes).
A search here for twins v singles will give you plenty of reading. With the sort of journey you are planning there may be some argument for the twins, if you plan to go alone etc. However as chris said at post 2, the sort of journey you are suggesting isn't really for the feint hearted in a 5.5m boat (even with twins) in less than ideal conditions. With your budget I would be keeping my options open and trying to make sure I had enough left (or could soon get it) to have a suitable aux if going for a single engine. It is a long trip back home though at 4 knots if the main engine packs up. Once you've finished reading those you will probably then have a "diesel inboard v's petrol outboard" and "2stroke v's 4stroke" debate. Those threads have all been done before too! However diesels seem to bottom out at about £10-15k. And I'd not worry about 2 v's 4 when your budget is already limitting the options. Either would do you fine.
Old 20 September 2011, 06:46   #18

Make: Avon R280 Tender
Length: under 3m
Engine: Me Rowing!
Just to throw something else in the mix!
USED BOATS FOR SALE Devon Cornwall | Ash Marine

I'm also looking for a 6.5 - rebuild, second hand or new, not much about

Just for interest I have had a quote for a new Humber Destroyer 5.85m with console/seat, non feedback steering, enclosed raised anchor box, orange tubes/hull, and other standard bits for £7.5K - sooo tempting to buy new but a 6.5m one. Ribtec quote 10.5K for the same. I will try Osprey today but think they will be a lot more than Humber also. Tornado do cheap boats also, now made in China Hulls not identical to the hulls of old but they do have a cancelled order 5.8m grey one (they call it black!) for 5.5K. The inner valve was damaged on delivery but is now repaired PU tubes on this one! You could stick a decent engine on it..!

I'm finding second hand prices very difficult to gauge! And they don't seem to depreciate much. A brand new 6.5m Destroyer for 8K, chuck in a 4-5K engine just out of warranty so you know it has been serviced and extra seating and gadgets brings you to 15K. There are some rough old Humber boats out there for 15K second hand, with little in "extras" on board!

Happy hunting...& chill!
Old 20 September 2011, 10:24   #19

I would not get too hung up on twins... firstly its unlikely in a small rib that they will be rigged with seperate fuel & electrical systems which really negates most of the benefits of a twin installation as the most likely failures will be Fuel supply or electrical faults which is why you need to have seperate systems to maximise the reason for having twins.

Secondly you will probably pay more for a lesser outfit with twins as they seem to have more cache.

Thirdly you will burn about 50% more fuel with twin 50s over a single 100..

If you can pick up a good single that has done under 500 hours and you look after it and ensure it is well rigged on the boat it is not likely to fail you.

Born fiddler
Old 20 September 2011, 10:39   #20

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I would not get too hung up on twins... firstly its unlikely in a small rib that they will be rigged with seperate fuel & electrical systems which really negates most of the benefits of a twin installation as the most likely failures will be Fuel supply or electrical faults which is why you need to have seperate systems to maximise the reason for having twins.

Secondly you will probably pay more for a lesser outfit with twins as they seem to have more cache.

Thirdly you will burn about 50% more fuel with twin 50s over a single 100..

If you can pick up a good single that has done under 500 hours and you look after it and ensure it is well rigged on the boat it is not likely to fail you.

Here we go again. I really can't be bothered typing it all out again for the 850th time, so do a search for "twins" and my ID. To narrow the results down a bit also add any one or all of "cubed" "squared" and "drag"

There are a lot of very sweeping statements on this subject. Bottom line is you need to do a bit of research. There's a roughly 50/50 split on which is "best" when it comes to performance & economy. at the middle & lower end of the HP scale. Most (all?) outboards you'll get on the budget you are talking about will run without the aid of a battery, so the whole "twin absolutely everything" is a bit of an exaggeration. Weight wise, remeber you'll have 20 odd KG of extra deadweight in the aux. Would absolutely agree with twin fuel tanks tho'. (even if it's just main / backup but you'd need that for a single engine anyway in that scenario!)

My personal thoughts - at those sort of distances I'd rather have an "aux" that could keep me on the plane.....