Boat name: Seaman stains
Make: Zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 100
New to ribbing!

Hi All

My name is Ben. New around here and also new ribbing

I'm lucky enough to have purchased a zodiac pro 550 2004 with a Yam 100

I have no prior knowledge about ribs but fancied a new hobby to coincide with my diving

I have a few questions

Please forgive my ignorance

Firstly about inflation
What's the best way to inflate my tubes? With air and water temperature fluctuations do I need to adjust my inflation on the water
I have been looking at a 12v auto shut off inflator that looks a good option?

Secondly
Is it better to store my rib indoors over winter or is covered outside ok?

I have my powerboat level 2 in Wales towards the end of September. I'm hoping I have the confidence after this to get out and have some fun. Anybody wanting to show a newbie around would be greatly appreciated. I can supply the beer?

Thanks

Ben
Old 01 September 2018, 14:52   #2

Town: Swindon
Boat name: Ballistic
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 250 Yam 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlandman View Post
Hi All

My name is Ben. New around here and also new ribbing

I'm lucky enough to have purchased a zodiac pro 550 2004 with a Yam 100

I have no prior knowledge about ribs but fancied a new hobby to coincide with my diving

I have a few questions

Please forgive my ignorance

Firstly about inflation
What's the best way to inflate my tubes? With air and water temperature fluctuations do I need to adjust my inflation on the water
I have been looking at a 12v auto shut off inflator that looks a good option?

Secondly
Is it better to store my rib indoors over winter or is covered outside ok?

I have my powerboat level 2 in Wales towards the end of September. I'm hoping I have the confidence after this to get out and have some fun. Anybody wanting to show a newbie around would be greatly appreciated. I can supply the beer?

Thanks

Ben
Hi Ben
My first rib was a zodiac pro open 550. Is yours the open version ie the consell can be opened and tilted to store skis and diving gear inside?

A footpump like a bravo is probably most practical. You can get a pressure gauge but not really needed, but don't pump rock hard just firm with a bit of give. I don't believe that model had over pressure valves so I'd suggest you let a bit out when not using it. If you leave it firm on a cool day you could risk a tube failure on a hot day. With a decent sized footpump it takes no time to top up and I'd not bother with an electric pump.

Store in or outside. Obviously inside gives more protection. My boats have always been outside with covers on. Make sure it's covered to protect your tubes from the sun.

Some suggestions...

If your diving fit a ladder on the stern. I'd suggest you don't recover over the tubes as pvc is not that strong and easily damaged.

If you don't have a battery isolator fit one. I think the battery used to be in the stern locker and there is space to fit one inside.

Dont strap down to trailer over the tubes, will damage tubes and boat can bounce on trailer. On mine there was a ski pole that I could use but better would have been to fit some proper tow eyes or go over the saddle of the engine on top of the transom with rachet strap.

I had some great trips in mine in the SW, and was a good intro to ribbing. But sold as wanted jockey seats as found I was standing up most of the time and holding on! . I see newer ones now have a leaning post. If I had kept it I would have looked at putting 2 single jockeys.

Not sure where your based, but I only get to snowdonia area occasionally to walk/climb. I'm swindon area and tend to go to Devon most of the time.

If your in the torquay area some time happy to show you how to launch and recover, and look over your boat. Similarly if your in the swindon area sometime I could probably use one of the local lakes to show you.

Do spend sometime thinking about safefy, and not just life jackets, but things like battery isolator, spare kill cord and keys, fire extinguisher, GPS/compass flares, perhaps epirb, all have a role. Early trips accompanied makes a lot of sense.

Trailers need maintenance. If your not 100% sure of the state of your bearings check them. Yours may be sealed bearing that need pressing in hubs so carrying spare bearing may not help, meaning a failure can be a massive pain, unless you carry a spare hub and locking nut.

Hope some of this helps but pm any questions.

Post some boat photos

Mark
Old 29 November 2018, 13:43   #3

Town: coven
Hi Mark

Sorry for such a late reply. One thing or another and before you know it months have passed

Thanks for all your info. Mine is the open version as you will see from the pics.
I have taken your advice and had a few mods done, gps compass even got me a life raft ! (overkill maybe) and a flare pack
A battery isolator was already fitted in the rear storage. Had to replace the bilge pump and a few other bits but have really enjoyed tinkering around and its been a great way to get to know the boat

Been out a few times with success, planning a trip to the red sand sea forts, Thames estuary this weekend! weather depending obviously.

I think i do have have pressure valves but not entirely sure, attached a snap so maybe you could tell me?

Im working in Swindon in Feb, too cold for ribbing?

Ben
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181128_170914.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	127802   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181128_170844.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	127803   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181128_170829.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	127804  
Old 29 November 2018, 18:57   #4

Town: Hertfordshire
Boat name: Bydand Jessie
Make: ballistic
Engine: yamaha 200 hpdi
MMSI: 232019693
Rib looks nice
I would like to go to the maunsell towers also.
Shivering sands is the nearest one I think
It's 15 km from land
When are you intending to go
Old 29 November 2018, 19:59   #5

Town: coven
Hi Steve

Thank you

We are going Saturday the 8th for a recce. This is weather dependant obviously. 5 day marine weather suggesting 17 Knotts at the, I wont be going anywhere in that, the glue for my wig is not strong enough
Old 30 November 2018, 00:24   #6

Town: Hertfordshire
Boat name: Bydand Jessie
Make: ballistic
Engine: yamaha 200 hpdi
MMSI: 232019693
I don't think I will have my boat back for that date
Its going away for some warranty work
I will maybe try in a few months time.
I will let you know when
Enjoy on the 8th