Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 12 October 2017, 14:12   #21
Member
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,306
RIBase
My Dr 490 valiant will start to chine walk at speeds above 27/28 kn this can be very dangerous. The rib is more stable since I moved the console forward and installed a 52 lt fuel tank under the console.
Tsm
__________________

__________________
two stroke mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2017, 16:36   #22
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 574
I had a 4.8m Ribcraft with a 90HP 2 stroke Yamaha on it, swinging a 21p prop it was getting nearly 50mph, no chine walking at all .
__________________

__________________
69cmw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 12:19   #23
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 657
Took the rib out again today with just me on it. It is how you say somewhat lively. I got to 28 knots and backed off the throttle. It still had at least another 1000 rpm. This will be fun once I have got used to her. At slow speed however to do 5 knots into the tide makes her rather nose up. even with trim full down. On the plane she sits perfect


Dennis
__________________
Bigplumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 13:52   #24
eze
RIBnet supporter
 
eze's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Essex
Boat name: undecided
Make: Humber - Assault
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 60 hp efi
MMSI: next year
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 105
Nice purchase,


congrats on the 30th.


Looks like you will get 40 mph+ in right conditions.


I will be down in Heybridge basin area next season....happy to meet up for an outing if you up for it.
__________________
eze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2018, 06:07   #25
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 657
I have now had a full season on this 4.5 m rib and am very pleased. For any other people wondering what size to buy I would comment as follows:

1) This size of boat is very easy to tow and manoeuvre around at home on your drive especially if it has a slight incline like mine does. Launching and recovering on my own is also very very easy and my slip is very tidal
2) The 60 hp on this 4.5 has loads of power and I would not actually want to go any faster. The top speed I attained one up was 37 knots GPS
3) It is legally on an unbraked trailer which is a very good thing when dunking the wheels at the slip. I am replacing the hubs and bearings now but total price is only £31 and I would expect those to last 3 years
4) It is big enough to handle reasonable seas and plenty of space for 1 person and OK for 2. Any more than 2 and it is too small in my book. I actually bought it to be predominantly used by me alone.
5) The amount of petrol you use on a typical day out is on the order of £25 -£30 which I feel is acceptable.

On the down side if you are in very heavy seas bigger would be better, Mind you looking at the round UK 4 m challenge I was wondering
__________________
Bigplumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2018, 07:08   #26
RIBnet Supporter
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 13,418
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
I have always thought of front gardens of a waste of space in their traditional use.
You could pull that laurel tree out and widen the gates a bit - whole boatpark then...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Plumbtrees.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	127465  
__________________
.
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2018, 08:29   #27
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
You could pull that laurel tree out and widen the gates a bit - whole boatpark then...

Certainly an option. I have managed to get a large piece of land not to far from me so that is also another option
__________________
Bigplumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2018, 14:45   #28
Member
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,516
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cmw View Post
I had a 4.8m Ribcraft with a 90HP 2 stroke Yamaha on it, swinging a 21p prop it was getting nearly 50mph, no chine walking at all .
Try a MAX Speed Run!!!... i.e.
..... Trimmed out till she does!
__________________
A clever Man learns by his mistakes..
A Wise Man learns by other people's!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2018, 14:56   #29
Member
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,516
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
I have now had a full season on this 4.5 m rib and am very pleased. For any other people wondering what size to buy I would comment as follows:

1) This size of boat is very easy to tow and manoeuvre around at home on your drive especially if it has a slight incline like mine does. Launching and recovering on my own is also very very easy and my slip is very tidal
2) The 60 hp on this 4.5 has loads of power and I would not actually want to go any faster. The top speed I attained one up was 37 knots GPS
3) It is legally on an unbraked trailer which is a very good thing when dunking the wheels at the slip. I am replacing the hubs and bearings now but total price is only £31 and I would expect those to last 3 years
4) It is big enough to handle reasonable seas and plenty of space for 1 person and OK for 2. Any more than 2 and it is too small in my book. I actually bought it to be predominantly used by me alone.
5) The amount of petrol you use on a typical day out is on the order of £25 -£30 which I feel is acceptable.

On the down side if you are in very heavy seas bigger would be better, Mind you looking at the round UK 4 m challenge I was wondering
Plenty of plus points on that size RIG for sure..
..I had a Zodiac (SIB) about the same size and 100's of hours of fun...its only when you want to add more crew and push boundarys (safely)...and stretch your legs more that bigger Rigs come into their own...shame they also come with bigger running costs as well!
....Bang for Buck the smaller stuff does takes some beating!
__________________
A clever Man learns by his mistakes..
A Wise Man learns by other people's!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2018, 15:36   #30
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 4,266
Apart from when you strap an office chair on the back and a nob jockey substitute.!!
__________________

__________________
Member of S.A.B.S. West Country Division
matt h is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:02.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.