Old 13 July 2009, 10:54   #1

Town: Littlehampton
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: 83hp jet drive
New to forum - help please

Hi all,

Jsut wanted to introduce myself and chuck a couple of questions out there.

I'm completely new to boating and having just bought an Avon 2 stroke jet rib ( 400 dl ), could use some advice with some minor repairs and upgrades.

i've seen some mixed reviews on these boats but having used it on friday, can't say i agree. yes the handling at low speed is poor but the high speed handling is great.

I have a 5year old and a wife who can't swim so i'm looking to attach some grab rails, one on the transom and one either side of the rear seats. Also one in front of the console. I've scoured the internet but not found anything suitable yet. Should i fix to the fibreglass or the tubes?

I managed to avoid a You tube disaster whilst launching but could improve on the recovery. I've seen people drive them onto carpet bunk trailers, but not having the confidence , i decided to drag it on, which went ok , suprisingly.

I intend to get some training before my family go on it but could also use a good quality repiar service near littlehampton. Any ideas. I have 2 small chips on the keel and some craking on the bow step. This got worse after the trip out on friday.

mant thanks

ben
Old 13 July 2009, 15:27   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
If you're attaching grab rails to a glass boat (which I assume yours is) and expect them to actually provide support, make sure you've got adequate backing for the mounting screws/bolts. Fiberglass is not the strongest stuff in the world. If you're putting fasteners into the core wood, make sure you seal it up against water intrusion.

Power loading the boat looks cool, but there's lots of things that can happen that will cause problems (in some cases, quite expensive problems.) Easier and safer (usually) to walk the boat onto the trailer and winch it up (of course, that also depends on the facilities you're using. A beach, for example, may not allow you to walk it on.)

Luck;

jky
Old 13 July 2009, 15:53   #3

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencymru View Post
Hi all,

Jsut wanted to introduce myself and chuck a couple of questions out there.
Firstly, welcome to ribnet! :wave:

Quote:
I have a 5year old and a wife who can't swim so i'm looking to attach some grab rails, one on the transom and one either side of the rear seats. Also one in front of the console. I've scoured the internet but not found anything suitable yet. Should i fix to the fibreglass or the tubes?
The best bet might be to find out where the natural places to grab are - Grab handles on the toobs will need to be the "rubber" typem, IBS & other sell them - Avon may eve nbe able to sell you original equipment ones to match! Just make sure they stuck on with proper surface preparation, otherwise someone might go swimming! Also make sure everyone has a suitable lifejacket.

Quote:
I managed to avoid a You tube disaster whilst launching but could improve on the recovery. I've seen people drive them onto carpet bunk trailers, but not having the confidence , i decided to drag it on, which went ok , suprisingly.
If winching it on works, it's the way to go! What works for one boat / trailer / helm combo will be a recipie for disaster for the next. Find a reliable method & stick with it until you are totally happy, then you can start to experiment with the fancy stuff. I used to take half an hour form arriving to being able to launch. I can now do it single handed in under 10 mins with no distractions & a clear slip!

Quote:
I intend to get some training before my family go on it .
Absolutely - and probably worth dragging your wife along as well so that if you go swimming she can come back & fetch you, will also make everyone more confident in the boat. Probably also worth putting your kid on the "junior" course when they are old enough. (I have the feeling it's minimum 8yrs for that course?) Some places will train you on your own boat.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly touting their wares & verify the junior cert. age, as I have no idea of the training centres down your end of the island....

Quote:
but could also use a good quality repiar service near littlehampton. Any ideas. I have 2 small chips on the keel and some craking on the bow step. This got worse after the trip out on friday.
I'm afraid I'm about as much use here as I am recommending a local training establishment!
Old 14 July 2009, 02:28   #4

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Welcome to the forum. What a fine surname you have Ben!

Launching recovery. Buy a pair of waders they help a lot during the launch recovery process as you can get yourself in to the right position in th ewater.

Id put the grab handles on the tubes.

Can you post some pictures of th e hull damage?
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2009, 10:59   #5

Town: Littlehampton
Make: Avon
Engine: 83hp jet drive
Thanks for the help

Thanks for the replies , i'll endeavour to post some photos.

i've decided to go for the powerboat level 2 plus first aid etc. I've always dreamt of working at sea so if i'm any good i may go for a professional qualification and look to do some charter work, thrill rides, etc.

we're talking at least a year or 2 down the line as the thought of taking my family out is enough to put me off at the moment. Then again , a 5yr old on a small rib will be a challenge and if i'm competent enough not to put her in danger and be sensible then i can be confident that i am the right sort of person be at sea.

ben
Old 14 July 2009, 13:15   #6

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Ben - I think you will be fine - based on me taking my kids out on Ribs etc from thage of about 5 I found the key thing is to give them 100% confidence in you , the boat & the kit. I 'made' mine jump off the boat in thier PFDS so they know they will float without having to even consider 'swimming'.

Likewise for your wife- just knowing that you dont have to worry about sinking seemed to take a huge weight off their minds. Likewise I'd expect & found that showing them how simple it can be to steer the boat at a slow speed will get your family much happier .

Letting them bump into a few things also means they are not scared to & understand they wont ' break things easily.

I'm pretty sure the 400 jet is the same hull as the 4m Adventure ( which I've got) . Pretty hard to do anything that upsets it too much (unless you really want to go mad & do spins - but thats the advantage of a jet drive ! )