Old 19 August 2004, 19:25   #1

Town: Plymouth
Length: no boat
New to all this

Hi - I've just registered for this forum, been reading for a while without realising I had to register.

I'm new to RIBS, have been trying to get some experience and passed my level 2 powerboat 2 weeks ago.

I'm keen to take the next step and get a boat but not sure which way to go and wondered if anyone with more experience could offer any advice. I want to get the whole family involved (and they're keen) but the youngest is 4 years. My wife is unhappy getting a RIB because of the age of the youngest (I can see her point) and prefers something more like the Regal bowrider etc - tried them out, nice enough, though not sure how they are for coastal use.

Anyone else using a RIB in similar circumstances - are RIBS best avoided with youngesters in this age group ?

Thanks for any advice, it's getting quite frustrating as we're all keen to start getting out on a boat and build up experience.

Thanks for any advice

Steve
Old 19 August 2004, 19:48   #2

Town: Ardnamurchan
Boat name: Out of the Blue
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 100
MMSI: 235 079 253
RIBs are great for young children, lots of soft bouncy rubber to protect them from injury. However young children (and many adults) are easily frightened. Stick to sheltered waters and a good rule of thumb is to only venture out into conditions that your most timid crew members feels comfortable with. Its alway better to be in sheltered waters wishing you were offshore than the other way around.
Old 19 August 2004, 20:01   #3

Town: london
Boat name: Frances May
Make: vailant DR450
Length: 4m +
Engine: mercury 50 hp
Send a message via Yahoo to Daniel TD5
steve

welcome to rib net firstly

i have a two little ones the four year old won,t go any were near my rib
unless its in the garage. but the 6 year old loves it to bits and comes on all my trips when we tryed to go around the IOW this month she got in my mates boat just because it went faster than my one
i would say a rib is one of the safest boat you can buy as for the wife
they like fair weather which is not on offer much in yhe uk so she won,t come out that much

i don,t know what your buget is like but try a smaller one first up to 5m
buy a good make vailant zodiac avon ribcraft so on get a kid set up bench seat not jockey with lot of seats

allso try before you buy make sure you have a go some ribs are very crap and handel very bad

this mt rig
dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gun boat.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	7585  
Old 19 August 2004, 20:12   #4

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Obsession
Make: ORKNEY PILOTHOUSE 20
Length: 6m +
Engine: SUZUKI 70
MMSI: 235024496
Hi Steve welcome aboard,I've got a Rib and a Chaparral sports boat,the Rib wins hands down,I only got the Chaparral so I could get the wife out on the water,she likes her home comforts.I would sell the Chaparral tomorrow without loosing to much sleep,but the Rib,nothing comes anywhere near the pleasure I get from it.
Old 19 August 2004, 20:15   #5

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
Welcome Aboard.....

.....you've come to the right place for advice not only on Ribbing but an pretty much everything and anything to do with the sea / water / boats.

I'd mirror much of the above and add the fact that my daughter started ribbing at 4 and as an eight year old is as competent and cheery on a RIB as most adults I come into contact with.

It's all a state of mind, if you're comfortable giving of positive vibes whilst navigating yourself and family through the whole boating experience, you'll all enjoy it together.

As mentioned above, I'd start of nice and slow in a decent size craft, close in shore and on a lovely day. Don't as a pal of mine did, hit the high seas in a force 6 on his first ever foray in a 380 with 3 kids and his wife thinking they were in Orlando !

The picture above looks ideal......... Go For It !

In the meantime I'd hope one or two of my fellow ribsters will reply with invites aboard their rides to enable some test driving, so to speak. Good Luck.
Old 19 August 2004, 20:22   #6

Wecome to a blast in mine if you don't mind a trip up to suffolk.
Old 19 August 2004, 20:41   #7

Town: Torquay
Make: Bayliner
Engine: I/B 3L
Welcome to the forum Steve

Like you I was reading all the posts for about 6 months before I registered.

I have a Bayliner bowrider as my partner wanted something to chill out in and catch some sun rather than bash through the waves. If it was up to me I would have gone for a rib but anything to get out on the water.

We do go out of the shelter of Torbay but only in the best of weather as to much of a swell and it's no fun, as she comes down hard without the deep vee hull.

Whatever you decide I hope you have lost of fun.
Old 19 August 2004, 20:59   #8

Town: Brixham, Devon
Boat name: FLY-BY/FLY-BY II
Make: Ribcraft/Avon
Engine: Honda 175/Yamaha 30
Hi SteveEboy,
My daughter is 22mths old. She loves the RIB. OK we do not go very fast and not far from Brixham Harbour. She normally fall asleep from the motion!!
Here a Pic of her out when we a 1 day of summer a few weeks ago!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	newrib6.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	7588  

Torbay & Dartmouth Powerboat School
01803 855508
The South West Premier RYA Powerboat Training Centre
www.powerboat-instruction.co.uk
David Hickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2004, 21:20   #9

Town: Torbay
Boat name: Marlin
Make: PBS humber 5.5
Engine: 115 optimax!!
i've taken my 4yr old nephew out a few times on my (just sold) avon. It is a similar set up to daniels above. we sat him between 2 adults on the bench seat so he was sure he wasn't going anywhere!! He's 5 now and loves going quick even when its choppy (more than his mother!!!), still sat in the middle though. The secret i found is to introduce them gradually, starting with a glass calm day. they change a lot at this age and their confidence will grow quickly. i'm sure your 4yr old will love it, just pick your first time carefully.
Old 20 August 2004, 04:32   #10

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Ribs v hardboats

Welcome to the forum.

I guess the important thing is to scratch the itch to get on the water. How you do it is up to you and I guess your wife. Hello Missus

I drive both Ribs and hardboats and in general prefer ribs. I have been out for about 15 of the last twenty days and to be honest I am pretty tired of getting wet whilst driving the open rib in the rain. The comfort of the Fast fisher I drive is far superior to that of the Ribs. (ooh did I just say that! I've been friends with that Johnny Fuller for too long!)

Ribs are far more fun to drive in my opinion but hardboats seem to be smoother ride in the water having said that I'd buy a rib every time unless I was looking for shelter in which case it would have to be a harboat as cabin ribs are very expensive.

some kwestions for you
Are you buying new or secondhand
What size boat are you thinking of getting
Will you be a trailer sailor or leave it in a Marina
What are your boating aims
What boat did you train in.

regarding the nippers penchant for ribs or hardboats get her/him out on a rib and see what they have to say about it.
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2004, 04:44   #11

Town: SOUTHAMPTON AREA
Boat name: none
Make: bombard sib
Length: 3m +
Engine: petrol 15/3.5
I would echo the other comments.My seven year old son used to love it to bits,calm weather nice day etc,but I got a bit more adventurous and have been out on few days where it has been quite bumpy and he has got very wet with spray,now he is not so keen.
Apart from the normal wet weather gear that he wears,we are thinking of getting him a helmet with visor,like the gecko to see if that helps.
Old 20 August 2004, 07:04   #12

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Sting
Make: Tornado 6.8
Engine: Yam 200 HPDI
Send a message via MSN to Andy
These are my sister's little ones are 7, 7 and youngest 5. They love banging along at 50kn, when its very calm. The youngest does not like it when the nose lifts high, however she will get used to that one. Better to start them young .... however it will be a while before my 6week old goes out, she is a little too young.

Before anybody says anything ... I put a double kill cord on, and it was firmly attached to me at all times! If the kids do anything mad while I am up front taking pics, they get pulled!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4RN1.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	7593   Click image for larger version

Name:	4RN2.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	7594  

www.badviz.com
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2004, 07:24   #13

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by timboli
Apart from the normal wet weather gear that he wears,we are thinking of getting him a helmet with visor,like the gecko to see if that helps.
I think the helmet is a very sensible idea and should be worn at all times. One of the problems with nippers is that the seats and grabhandles are all designed for gownups and the kids can bang their heads about a bit.
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2004, 11:00   #14

Town: Cardiff
Make: Humber Destroyer 5.5
Engine: 90hp OB
Agree with everyone above.

My 3 year old Nephew Loves the RIB and has been going out on it since he was 2. Obviously as with any boating activity safety is paramount he always has a life jacket on and he is always under at least one adults close supervision.

I dont think I would be anywhere near as comfortable with any other type of boat for two reasons.

1) I think some of the sports boats with their creature comforts give a false sense of security and you relax and this is when something bad is likely to happen.

2) Sadley the british weather cannot be relyed on (certainly her in Cardiff this week we have seen 4 seasons in one day most of this week.) and I would much rather be in the safety of a RIB should the weather change and be comfortably able to reach safety reasonably quickly with out too much of a worry.

Obviously this is just my opinion. If you are ever over Cardiff way give me a shout and I would be happy to take you (and the family) out for a spin.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rib9.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	7595  
Old 20 August 2004, 11:32   #15

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Glad this issue has been brought up - when I finally get my boat I intend taking out my mate and his tribe - 4 kids aged between 3 and 7 - was worried they were too young but then I was thinking how much I loved going out in speedboats when I was as young as 3 - by the time I was 10 I had my own 14' with a 40hp johnson - and used to take it out with just me and my brother - who was 7! No lifejackets - no radio - no flares - nothing! Mind you it was the Red Sea where there were no tides or currents and the water was so warm all the sharks were sleeping!
Old 20 August 2004, 12:19   #16

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel TD5
steve

but the 6 year old loves it to bits and comes on all my trips when we tryed to go around the IOW this month she got in my mates boat just because it went faster than my one
dan

yep i can vouch for this...she wanted a superior ride on a dryer craft that goes faster than yours Dan though even at my super speed she still needed more and more. recon you could be facing a mutiny very soon
Old 20 August 2004, 12:31   #17

Town: Dunedin
Boat name: Zebedee
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 15 2 stroke
Great way of taking the kids to the beach

My kids are now 4, 6, and 8 years old, and this is our third season. As others have said, we're careful only to go out when the weather is good. Everyone enjoys it when it's sunny, and as their confidence grows, they are better in more wavey conditions.

We don't go very far, I would say a maximum of 1/2 hour pootle through the harbour followed by 45 minutes across the bay to some interesting place. Also, we put warm clothes and waterproofs on if there's any chance of spray, so no-one gets wet and cold.

For cruising you want a big RIB. For what we do, our smaller RIB is just perfect - we can land on beaches quite easily. We spent a long time thinking about the seating before going for a 4-5 man long jockey seat. Allows for close supervision, and the kids feel very safe. 2 years on, and we're still pleased with this layout. Kids can drive safely with an adult just behind, ready to take over if necessary.

I posted a couple of pictures ages ago, here
http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1183

Once the kids are older, I fancy a slightly bigger boat (5.85?) with individual seats, but they're not ready for that yet. The two younger ones regularly go to sleep; with different seating, I don't think we'd manage.

cheers,
Simon
Old 20 August 2004, 12:35   #18

Town: london
Boat name: Frances May
Make: vailant DR450
Engine: mercury 50 hp
Send a message via Yahoo to Daniel TD5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge Rat
yep i can vouch for this...she wanted a superior ride on a dryer craft that goes faster than yours Dan though even at my super speed she still needed more and more. recon you could be facing a mutiny very soon
she as booked a seat in waynes PT520 with a 90 on the back for the clacton
air show poor old dad

dan
Old 20 August 2004, 18:05   #19

Town: Plymouth
Length: no boat
Wow - what can I say but thanks for so many really helpful replies. It was especially good to hear of so many families including children being able to use the RIB without any real drama and taking the obvious safety precautions and care.

We're off to look around a few boats at the weekend - including RIBS new and used.

In response to some questions I was asked:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave

some kwestions for you
Are you buying new or secondhand
What size boat are you thinking of getting
Will you be a trailer sailor or leave it in a Marina
What are your boating aims
What boat did you train in.
1. Not too bothered about new or secondhand - I'm looking at both, secondhand is offering a broader range for the budget.
2. Absolute max length would be 6m. There's 5 of us plus frequent "occassionals" happy to go smaller but it would have to fit us all in.
3. Haven't quite decided on trailer or Marina - assuming space was available in a local Marina. At present the thought of towing the boat and launch/recovery every time we use it doesn't fill me with joy - would I pay the price for the alternative though ? Don't know yet.
4. Initially just aiming to have a bit of fun and build up experience. My 16 year old did the Level 2 with me and is very keen. After a couple of seasons I'd like to do the int/adv powerboating and move a bit further afield and offshore.
5. We did the level 2 in a Tornado RIB with outboard and had a good time.

Simon - was this a standard option or a custom job ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Guest
We spent a long time thinking about the seating before going for a 4-5 man long jockey seat. Allows for close supervision, and the kids feel very safe. 2 years on, and we're still pleased with this layout. Kids can drive safely with an adult just behind, ready to take over if necessary.
Simon
Thanks again

Steve
Old 20 August 2004, 18:51   #20

You can take her for a spin yourself in mine if you want Dan,I can sit back in yours and take some photo's of her.I can also raid your fridge whilst your gone.