Old 17 January 2006, 18:51   #21

Town: Solent
Boat name: Outspan
Make: RibCraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 60
4x4 makes life so much easier especially if you want to use the slipways on the Thames/East coast. they are either very slippery, steep, covered in gravel or all three!

Have you looked a valiant, a pal of mine has the 5.2m it comfortably seats 5 people, handles nicely and is still light enough to fit on an unbraked trailer.
Have a chat with the guys at Boating mania... think they still have links with RibCraft too, ace boats but then I'm biased.
Old 17 January 2006, 19:44   #22
ADS

Town: Dorset
Quote:
Originally Posted by LamacqS
4x4 makes life so much easier especially if you want to use the slipways on the Thames/East coast. they are either very slippery, steep, covered in gravel or all three!

Have you looked a valiant, a pal of mine has the 5.2m it comfortably seats 5 people, handles nicely and is still light enough to fit on an unbraked trailer.
Have a chat with the guys at Boating mania... think they still have links with RibCraft too, ace boats but then I'm biased.

If you go for a Valiant 520, avoid the V520 go for the PT520 or Patrol 520, much deeper v. I have found the V520 to handle like a lilo.
Old 17 January 2006, 20:43   #23

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee
I have been reading this thread with interest - however I appreciate that we don't have a range of boats, just one, and it will only suit a few people, and in this case in all honesty is probably not what Jerry is looking for!

Thank you for thinking of me though!

Maybe Andre has something?
Cheers Cookee, I was thinking along similar lines. Have 2 demo ribs ready available but unfortunately both are above the budget

Andre
Old 17 January 2006, 21:59   #24

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Jerry, I understand your reservations re. buying a 4x4. 90% of 4x4 owners should be driving estate cars or MPV's. However, if you need to tow a boat or a horse box , then you have a very legitimate reason for owning one. I tried to recover a 21ft hardboat with a BMW 5 series estate once, on a very well maintained slip. Nightmare, nearly cooked the clutch. Big hassle with towing/launching etc, has the potential to spoil the whole experience.
Old 17 January 2006, 22:08   #25
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
I have been towing a 585 Ribtec behind a Golf and more recently an Audi A3. It a good size for 3-4 people and gear. If I'm going far kit bags go in the boat for the car journey.

If you have a look on boatsandoutboards.com there is an ex demo 585 for sale for 17k. They are well built good all round boats.

I use mine on the Thames and on the Solent depending on how the mood takes me.

If you want a chat about boating on the Thames, the car or the boat send me a PM.

Chris
Old 19 January 2006, 22:52   #26

Town: London
Boat name: Desire
Make: Osprey
Engine: Optimax 150
Thanks again

I have seen a K plate Patrol with an MOT for 3K it's got a 2.8 Diesel so I might get that.

Whiteshoes, I have seen your boat, on a poker run, I think it's superb but it's too long for my needs ......as the Actress said to the Bishop. Anybody that can tell a good joke is ok by me, so keep em coming!

CJL thanks for the offer I may well take you up on it!

Swginn I think your suggestions probably reflect the best plan are XS that good, how do they compare with other more well known brands say Zodiac, Ribcraft, or Solent.

I have had a PM suggesting I try JBT for a boat has anybody got any views on them?
Old 20 January 2006, 00:18   #27

Town: Carigaline/Baltimore
Boat name: XS-600
Make: XS-Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc Optimax 150 XL
Jerry,

To answer your question, are XS that good? Yes they are IMHO anyway. Have only been around for 3yrs now but I haven't heard of one problem with any of the RIBs sold. They are giving a 3yr warranty on their RIBs now which definitely shows confidence in their product. Their customer service, which most can vouch for is top-class!! They are very well built boats. The stainless work and general fit out is to the highest order. They also don't skimp on the important stuff either: Seastar Pro helm, Alu tanks, Glassed in consoles, v.good battery (can't remember name of it but it keeps my auto bilge going for 3-4 weeks at a time and always turns over the Opti first time.) You get the idea anyway!!

How do they compare?
It is unfair to compare the boat with Solent as they are different types of RIB.
Solent are more sports orientated and have very fast hulls, whereas XS are more of a heavy duty, no nonsense RIB and are very good rough weather boats. I would put them in the same bracket as Ribcraft, Avon, Tornado on ability, performance and build quality, but they have yet to build up the same outstanding reputation of these companies, this can only happen with time!!

Obviously all of the above is fairly biased, as are most opinions on the forum (nothing wrong with having pride in your own boat!!) but I have always taken some great unbiased advice from Rogue, JW, Pete7, Daniel (top banana) so would be a good idea to maybe PM a few of these people for their advice.

Suggest you e-mail Lawrence Lock at Barnet Marine for a quote also, ask him for the boat show price and you may be very pleasantly surprised!! Good luck with whatever you decide on, safe ribbing!
Old 20 January 2006, 14:11   #28

Town: Felixstowe
Boat name: WhaleOilBeefHooked
Make: Ribeye
Engine: Yamaha F80
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJL
I have been towing a 585 Ribtec behind a Golf and more recently an Audi A3. It a good size for 3-4 people and gear. If I'm going far kit bags go in the boat for the car journey.
Have to say I was amazed to see your Audi A3 pull your boat out the Thames
last year. (of course it is a 'company' car )

Jerry - I tow a RIBEYE500 behind a 2.2l FRONTERA - No Worries

Are you part of the Solution or part of the Problem?
Yuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2006, 15:12   #29

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Everlong
Make: Botnia Targa 27
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Davis
I have seen a K plate Patrol with an MOT for 3K it's got a 2.8 Diesel so I might get that.

Whiteshoes, I have seen your boat, on a poker run, I think it's superb but it's too long for my needs ......as the Actress said to the Bishop. Anybody that can tell a good joke is ok by me, so keep em coming!

CJL thanks for the offer I may well take you up on it!

Swginn I think your suggestions probably reflect the best plan are XS that good, how do they compare with other more well known brands say Zodiac, Ribcraft, or Solent.

I have had a PM suggesting I try JBT for a boat has anybody got any views on them?
was at jbt today - got some great stock in at the moment around your budget, some of which isnt on the website...
Old 27 January 2006, 21:33   #30

Town: London
Boat name: Desire
Make: Osprey
Engine: Optimax 150
Swginn that was a very strong testimonial for XS ribs and I am most impressed by your passion.

I PM'd a few people and now have 2 more makes to consider, Humber and Osprey, The Humber seems to be able to deliver faster than anybody else.

I also looked at Ribeye and the Avon Adventurers which were very nice. It's a hard choice but I think the Humber and XS look more traditional and I prefer that.

I've decided also that I would like to keep my boat in the Solent for the Summer. with that in mond, does anyone know any good places to leave her

Thanks again
Old 28 January 2006, 01:05   #31

Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Engine: 140hp suzuki
go with a Humber, excellent offshore boats, great handling! nice, 'real' rib build! tough as old boots!
Old 05 March 2006, 18:38   #32

Town: York
Boat name: Hi Flyer
Make: Humber - Ocean Pro
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 140hp
MMSI: 235033234
Humber RIB

I went through this last year. Bought from new and wanted lots of answers before I parted with the money. Have a chat with Sue at Humber - family firm, very patient, will answer all your questions without pressure to buy. May not look as polished as some med style boats but strong & handle well. I bought during their 'holiday shutdown' and they still delivered in 4 weeks. A lot of boat for the money.
Old 05 March 2006, 20:34   #33

Town: Calshot
Boat name: Swan Song
Make: LM 27
Engine: Bukh 20
MMSI: ?
Ignore Rogue Wave and try a Ribeye,You;ll love it
Old 11 March 2006, 03:12   #34

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Shiver
Make: Zodiac Medline II
Engine: Yamaha F150
Re: Ads

agree with you on V520, seemed very much like a lilo. Certainly terrifies your passengers. I drove a Stylmer 640 a week later and what a difference!!!.
Old 11 March 2006, 12:14   #35
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Is that long or short wheelbase? The LWB ones are heavy-expect it to be rather thirsty.

You can pick up a Frontera 2.8 diesel for 1/3 the price that on the same plate if you look-and they've got the bulletproof Isuzu motor...

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2006, 16:45   #36

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
If you want to keep your boat "darn Sarf" there's a Nobba who posts on here as "Rogue Wave".. PM him and he'll no doubt advise you... ignore what all the othe Nobba's on here say about him..... he really is a nice guy.... but for Christs sake don't let him take yer boat off the trailer......and don't let him sell you that nice 'umber he's got in his shed for cash.....

PS... never..EVER.... believe what that Dave Manning tells ya.....
Old 11 March 2006, 19:21   #37
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono
never..EVER.... believe what that Dave Manning tells ya.....

One sincerely hopes that you enjoyed your Saturday afternoon on the Jack Daniels.

DM
Old 11 March 2006, 21:39   #38

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
as opposed to a decade on the Jamiesons

Jerry you'll be very happy with the Ribeye for the first three years
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2006, 21:46   #39

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Swginn that was a very strong testimonial for XS ribs and I am most impressed by your passion.

I PM'd a few people and now have 2 more makes to consider, Humber and Osprey, The Humber seems to be able to deliver faster than anybody else.

I also looked at Ribeye and the Avon Adventurers which were very nice. It's a hard choice but I think the Humber and XS look more traditional and I prefer that.

I've decided also that I would like to keep my boat in the Solent for the Summer. with that in mond, does anyone know any good places to leave her

Thanks again
i have purchased an osprey and it is a nice boat although not been in the water yet, others you might consider are ribcraft, they make a very nice quality boat, if i was buying again i would consider ribcraft, osprey or scorpion.
Old 12 March 2006, 11:57   #40

Town: Nottingham
Length: no boat
RIBase
I can certainly vouch for the patience of RibCraft when it comes to boat set up. I think I changed my spec about 600 times! If it’s your first boat look for a manufacturer that will take the time to show you around a load of their boats, and do a sea trial. This will be the only way for you to work out what you want.

Regarding tow cars….. I’d seriously consider spending some of that 25k to change your car if you plan on buying anything over 5.5m Yes, you can tow a 6m boat with a Golf, but you might not want to learn to tow a 6m boat with a Golf Most of the beginner Ribbing pitfalls revolve around launch and recovery. A little 4WD, (Subaru impreza/forester, Skoda octavia, Honda CRV) would give you a bit more leeway when you get it wrong the first time.