Old 05 May 2008, 09:08   #21

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
suppose it all depends on your prefered passengers!! I have a scorpion with twin jockeys and moulded back seat! I have great difficulty when my litlle girl comes aboard in keeping her secure on a jockey so im exploring other ideas! Shes fine on the back seat but if its just the two of us i cant keep hold....... td from boatmad built a prototype extreme rib with 2 sets of double bolsters... it looked awsome but a 4 seater 8m is not practical! ribs also tend to be unfriendly if your the sort that anchors and gets out a picnic..
Old 05 May 2008, 14:38   #22

Town: Shotts
Boat name: Shakespeare's Play
Make: shakespeare
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250hp Verado
MMSI: 235066167
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtflash View Post
suppose it all depends on your prefered passengers!! I have a scorpion with twin jockeys and moulded back seat! I have great difficulty when my litlle girl comes aboard in keeping her secure on a jockey so im exploring other ideas! Shes fine on the back seat but if its just the two of us i cant keep hold....... td from boatmad built a prototype extreme rib with 2 sets of double bolsters... it looked awsome but a 4 seater 8m is not practical! ribs also tend to be unfriendly if your the sort that anchors and gets out a picnic..
gtflash ....my kids are adults now but i might end up carrying some youngsters .....I am so unsure what else to fit. I do like the shockwave jockey seats and also the ullmans. http://www.shockwaveseats.com/

searching around i noticed Aquaflyte have used pedestals with bucket seats and they look quite attractive .......I was going to tackle a rear bench seat setup but not so sure now

any ideas? would be greatly appreciated

I
Old 05 May 2008, 15:18   #23

been looking at these .....quite a simple design......how do you reckon they would look parked behind my bolsters? slightly different seat though

I
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pascoe.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	34552  
Old 05 May 2008, 18:21   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by iandl View Post
been looking at these .....quite a simple design......how do you reckon they would look parked behind my bolsters? slightly different seat though

I
personally i like uniform! too many different designs will make your boat look home made in "my opinion" maybe a 3 piece of your other wonderful design?? or is it just too expensive??
Old 04 August 2008, 13:44   #25

not updated the thread much recently so i thought i'd post a couple of pics of what i've been upto ...been using the boat as much as possible but the LR Discovery is giving me issues every time i seem to venture out in it

for those of you who dont reconise the console its the aquaflyte from bill ferguson

tubes were done at Henshaws .......they really do an excellant professional job

got the bolsters all fitted and wired up ....delighted with them ...had a good run out of edinburgh in them, good seats for higher speeds but i am now going with suspension seats so these will eventually get pulled out again. I looked at making more bolsters but made the descision of the suspenion type.

as i dont have an a frame as yet (project after suspension seats) i have tried to keep everything around the console ......i have fitted the standard horizon cp300 chartplotter with the fishfinder .....also fitted the aquatic av stereo ...i got the tilting helm fitted with the verado as i wasnt sure of the seating positions. the gps, compass and aerial are all fitted neatly under the windscreen. wired everything up as neatly as possible ......the looms is starting to bulge a bit though. i made a little stainless ariel bracket to allow me the use of the vhf for now but once the A frame is done this will stay but become reduntant.

installed but still to wire the bilge pump. going to go with a fairlead as well ...i'm toying with the idea of making a mould and casting in fibreglass rather than the stick on one.....a later on project though which might not happen.

still got a huge list of things to do and keep getting side tracked onto other projects. having given it a good few blasts now and got the engine run in ...looking forward to getting up and around the west coast

the final picture is of progress on the suspension seats .....the base mold is done ...that was the first from the mold and is now used for setups etc the stainless butterfly is one of 12 patterns i got cut from the waterjet co ....the carbon springs have just arrived but not much too look at ....these were custom made for my application ........the upper seat pod mold didnt release properly so the plug will have to be remade but its a good learning curve

hope to have more progress over the coming months

cheers

Ian
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF3682.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	36708   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3684.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	36710   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3679.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	36711   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3680.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	36712   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3676.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	36713  

Old 04 August 2008, 16:24   #26

Town: Enfield/Switzerland
Boat name: Zonneschijn II/Vixen
Make: Shakespeare/Avon
Engine: Evin' 175 DI /Yam 90
MMSI: 235055605
wow, she is looking great!!! I am drooling!

What's the GRP box in the middle pic?

Did you put her on the weighbridge yet??
Old 04 August 2008, 17:23   #27

the grp pod is for the suspension seats ...it was the first out the mold...the bolsters will be coming back out once i have them completed and tested.

i havent used the rear boxs for anything and i'm wondering about keeping them or chopping them out for fixing the A frame ...they'll stay for now until the A frame gets started

i havent weighed it yet

I
Old 05 August 2008, 18:24   #28

wicked progress pics! are you having any side support for upper body on the jockey seats???? I really think manufacturers have got it wrong fitting plain flat backed jockeys.... i know you can grip with legs/knees but if your upper body moves usually the rest of ya body does (bit like self defense teaches)....

keep the pics coming
Old 05 August 2008, 20:55   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtflash View Post
wicked progress pics! are you having any side support for upper body on the jockey seats???? I really think manufacturers have got it wrong fitting plain flat backed jockeys.... i know you can grip with legs/knees but if your upper body moves usually the rest of ya body does
originaly i wasnt as per picture but the plug wouldnt pull and destroyed both so now i have had a re think and i am going to do the seats in two sections......i really like the lower seat part and will stick quite close to this but the upper back will have side supports and be slightly higher and be cushioned quite softly .....

all the other bits have fallen quite nicely into place the seats are now the priority

got myself a cracking upholsterers sewing machine so i now have another steep learning curve

I
Old 05 October 2008, 17:57   #30

havent been idle ...honest .....got so many bits in now for the boat i need to stop spending.
I got the trim tabs ...i went for the bennett ST12 sports tabs with the EIC5000 indicator switch ......made a cracking samson post for the front ....I got the Dutton 3500 winch for the front of the trailer ....the A frame arrived but i havent had time to fit it ........i bought the one from ribshop from here.....once i have it fitted i will remove it again for final polishing so a wee bit down the line.

also the suspension seats are coming on..... Full respect to Ullman ....the upper seat and backrests are still in the moulds ........I have made 9 different seats before i eventually got one that the whole family agreed on....i have something special in mind for these ....the upper lateral supports will have blow up bladders for different shaped people and the seat bases will be heated as will the lower back.
The suspension shocks work great ...i bought a pump for them that allows me to adjust the spring rate ......for me it was 90psi ...for mrs dl it was 60psi ....will take a bit of playing about once i have them installed......wont dwell on the costs cause it would upset me to see it in print. set out to make 6 and still on target.

cheers

Ian
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF3719.jpg
Views:	943
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	37899   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3720.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	37900   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3721.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	37901   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3722.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	37902   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3711.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	37903  

Old 05 October 2008, 18:44   #31

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Why have you put trim tabs on the thing?
Old 05 October 2008, 21:27   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Why have you put trim tabs on the thing?
ther not on yet ...still in the box .

the shakespeares quite bow high ...want to try and keep the bow down a bit when i'm nipping on ....also on my last outing i felt a tendancy to lean into the wind a bit.

I
Old 05 October 2008, 21:35   #33

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Did you have to sell your TV to pay for the new seats?

Old 05 October 2008, 22:40   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Did you have to sell your TV to pay for the new seats?
LOL ...its on the wall .........but on its way oot ....plasma's .....i bought it new in 1999 for £5500 ......new now there only £599

havent bought the seats ......i made them .

I
Old 08 October 2008, 13:54   #35

pulled the upper seat parts from the mold yesterday ......there will be a lower lumber support in the 3" gap from the base of the seat to the backrest .......within this there will also be upper stiffers for the backrests .....all my plans and working out are so far coming together as planned.....the lateral supports will have 50mm of memory foam wrapped around the inside for body protection ....the seat base itself will have 50mm foam outer areas just at the bum ....the centre of the seat will have 25mm foam in the bum base and around the leg area will be medical gel pads ....front wont get anything other than vinyl.

I will park this aside until all my other parts are done and will take for upholstery .......the guy i'm taking them too does custom motorcycle seats and wants to do something special on them. I'll see what he comes up with

any comments!!!

Ian
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF3729.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	37957   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3727.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	37958   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3725.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	37959  
Old 08 October 2008, 14:27   #36
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Take my hat off to ya Ian. Must have taken allot of planning and forward thinking.
Old 08 October 2008, 14:45   #37

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
A question of foam .....

You say memory foam - do you mean the decent energy absorbing stuff ( like you have in Aircraft) that will only compress once on 'impact' and not the stuff that will 'bounce' a few times before fianlly settling?

Just thinking that it would be a shame to put together a stunning set up & then not go the full way with the foam.

I cant wait to see the finished work all put together - it will be shame to get it wet! I get as much as a smile looking the way things come together as I do from using them !
Old 08 October 2008, 17:02   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackroady View Post
You say memory foam - do you mean the decent energy absorbing stuff ( like you have in Aircraft) that will only compress once on 'impact' and not the stuff that will 'bounce' a few times before fianlly settling?

depends on the kinda impact

been on a few planes and loads of helicopters and none strike me as comfy for long periods ........i have forwarded some pictures to the foam guy with my requirements and he is going to work it out for me i am also considering gel in the seats as well.........as i said earlier .......wont be any further progress on this one for a few months ....need to get the others upto speed first.
i will spend a bit of time around the lower back supports .......these will have to be right, cause their also stiffening the upper back supports as well .....

took ages to settle on a decent seat shape ........very time consuming to chuck out if its rejected ....glad i'm not paying for my own time

thanks for the comments guys

I
Old 08 October 2008, 20:08   #39

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
It's all looking rather fantasic.

Can't wait to see what the unholsterys going to be like.

One question. The two composite strips that join the upper seat to the base. Are these meant to bend or are they hinged on the brackets?

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 October 2008, 20:10   #40

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Andy, since Ian's not logged on...they are carbon fibre and they flex.