Old 18 May 2008, 10:49   #31
Town: Shotts
Boat name: Shakespeare's Play
Make: shakespeare
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250hp Verado
MMSI: 235066167
Originally Posted by howe View Post
Ian, The Ullman seats are padded but quite firm. Not sure what's under the open weave stretch fabric seat covers. Mine (like most Ullmans) are the jockey seats which need to hold their shape - Ullman regular type seats may be different.
All things are relative but the luxury comes from them taking the impact through the suspension rather than from the softness of the seat itself. You also need to sit back into them as I know of someone who did hurt themselves by perching in the front of the seat which is relatively unsprung. Greg Marsden is demonstrating them at 2012 Marine and is also doing the Round Britain Race.
We have fitted toe straps which I would judge as essential as the seats have no side support for good ergonomic reasons - you just need to keep a firm footing!

Thanks Gavin ......I am making something very similar ......I like the ullman seat shape but not the back support.....would you recommend side supports? something along the lines what you see on scorpion jockeys

looking forward to seeing your boat in Inverness during RB in june

iandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2008, 13:52   #32
Town: Woldingham
Boat name: Black Gold
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercury 300 XS
Seats and bolsters

I think the Ullman people would argue that you need to be able to move sideways (and stay vertical) as the boat isn't always going straight up and down. People who are more used to seats and bolsters often don't like this approach.

When I used to drive our previous Scorpion with the curved backrests, I would sometimes get a dig in the ribs when we landed at an angle. Personally, I'm not sure that a combination of a moving seat and a fixed bolster is the way to go. I know some who are trying this approach for the Round Britain Race.

Several have commented on the lack of side support and we feel okay using foot straps. The area when we need to be carefully is if we dig into the back of a wave and then turn. It might to be easy to slide forwards off the seat.

Anyway by the end of June I might have an answer! See you in Inverness. Gavin

howe is offline   Reply With Quote