Old 13 October 2006, 20:28   #1
mdt

Town: fife
Make: Humber / searider
Length: 5m +
MMSI: ... - - - ...
New rules at BP

Just gone up to fill the tanks for tomorrows early start, had two 22L tanks in the boot. Into petrol station and lifted the boot and stuck the nozzle in and nothing. Long day at work getting grumpy and still nothing. Then the guy comes running out asking “what are you filling up”. Ok my response of “bin bags” was not the most mature ever.

To be informed that BP has a rule the staff must see the containers you are trying to fill. ???? ahhhhhhhh

M

Yes thanks the G&T is helping.
Old 13 October 2006, 21:28   #2

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
This has been raised a few times on this forum. Myself included.
The Law is pretty stringent on refuelling. Many places don't allow any lee way for the filling of outboard fuel tanks. best bet is to find a garage that isn't too fussy about the tanks that you use.

Trust me your on a losing wicket if you try and fight officialdom on this one.
Old 13 October 2006, 21:34   #3

Town: West Sussex
Make: zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: suzuki 115
The garage I use locally don,t give a stuff ,you could actually be filling bin bags for all they care ,added bonus I have an account there for the works vans so it goes through the business too .
Old 14 October 2006, 19:16   #4

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Just filled 10 jerrycans in sainsbury's no probs - their pumps shut off at 100.4 litres though!!!
Old 15 October 2006, 07:12   #5
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Just filled 10 jerrycans in sainsbury's no probs - their pumps shut off at 100.4 litres though!!!

That shutoff is a pain isn't it.

I find the best way of doing it round here is to fill up at a supermarket while they are busy. They just authorise it without saying anything.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2006, 08:54   #6

Boat name: Mr Blue Sky
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: E-Tec 90
1. Always fill up when service station busy
2. Strategically park, keeping rear of vehicle out of line of sight if possible.
3. Stealthily place o/b tank on floor ready, but behind vehicle still out of sight.
4. Start filling vehicle first and then when pump switched on
5. Switch to filling tank

Usually works...
Old 17 October 2006, 09:25   #7
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
stealth fuelling

It's easier if you tow the boat in and fill the tanks while they are aboard btw. You take up so much room on the pumps that they just want you gone asap.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2006, 09:27   #8
mdt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
1. Always fill up when service station busy
2. Strategically park, keeping rear of vehicle out of line of sight if possible.
3. Stealthily place o/b tank on floor ready, but behind vehicle still out of sight.
4. Start filling vehicle first and then when pump switched on
5. Switch to filling tank

Usually works...
A very cunning plan… was thinking about point 4 the this morning… I normally take the wife’s car up filled it up 1st (gets you brownie points don’t you know) then fill the tanks. But my car being a oil burner has a dislike of petrol.

Shall pretend I am filling the car till they switch on the pump, then swap to tank filling with speed and cunning.
And prepare my self for some goon to come running out.
Old 17 October 2006, 22:08   #9
G L

Boat name: GlennVinny
Make: Leeway
Engine: Mariner 2.0 V6 135
MMSI: 235038455
Go to Tesco and select 'pay at pump', swip your card and away you go, Stops at £60 though!
Old 18 October 2006, 12:58   #10
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
stealth fuelling

It's easier if you tow the boat in and fill the tanks while they are aboard btw. You take up so much room on the pumps that they just want you gone asap.

Even better when three of you turn up!!!!
Old 20 September 2007, 20:59   #11

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: X-RIB
Make: XS-600
Engine: Mercury 115
Esso rules for refueling Boats on Trailers

The Esso Garage in Petersfield now has a notice on the till saying that specifically that refueling of boats on trailers is only allowable if it can be done whilst standing on the ground. The wording (which unfortunately I did not write down) seemed to claim that there is a significantly higher risk of static causing ignition if refueling is done with you aboard the the boat on the trailer. Just did a quick search and this thread seemed closest Does anyone know if the rules or guidelines have changed recently?

Thanks

Nigel
Old 20 September 2007, 21:41   #12

Town: Fareham
So do all pumps in Garages shut off at 100 litres then? Most I've put in a boat is 80. I'm having to fill up my 200 litre tank soon, that'll hack a few motorists off, specially if I fill the car at the same time

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2007, 22:22   #13

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
The Esso Garage in Petersfield now has a notice on the till saying that specifically that refueling of boats on trailers is only allowable if it can be done whilst standing on the ground. The wording (which unfortunately I did not write down) seemed to claim that there is a significantly higher risk of static causing ignition if refueling is done with you aboard the the boat on the trailer. Just did a quick search and this thread seemed closest Does anyone know if the rules or guidelines have changed recently?

Thanks

Nigel
That is crap - the fuel hoses are conductive to get rid of static - a car sits on rubber tyres anyway so is just as insulated as the boat on the trailer!!!
Old 21 September 2007, 06:25   #14
mdt

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
That is crap - the fuel hoses are conductive to get rid of static - a car sits on rubber tyres anyway so is just as insulated as the boat on the trailer!!!
Granted, but since when have they let the facts got in the way of health and safety.

I have now perfected the stand by car filler cap pump in hand once they switch it on, open boot and fill away technique.
Old 21 September 2007, 07:44   #15
RIBnet supporter

Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
I recently tried to fill a single 22l tank after filling the car up, and I had not unscrewed the filler cap from the plastic tank before starting to fill the car. After shoving 50 quids worth in the car, and while still holding the nozzle in my hand, I bent down to unscrew and remove the 22l tank cap...maybe took 12 seconds tops, and the pump switched itself off in the meantime.
Forecourt was v busy and it took ages to get someone to turn the pump on again, fill the 22l tank, and as I had wanted, pay for it all together.
(Sainsburys in Bedford). They didn't have a problem with filling the container, they just said the pumps turn themselves off if not pumping fuel after fifteen seconds. Being ready to go at the start of the operation seems to be the way to go!
Old 21 September 2007, 08:00   #16

Town: Dartmouth
On a visit to our local sainsbury's i tried to fill up a 22 ltr can and was told i could only have 10 ltrs!, this was a little bit annoying to say the least so i took the ten ltrs, payed, drove off round the block, came back and put another 10 ltrs in the same tank, there was nothing they could do to stop me.
Old 21 September 2007, 08:29   #17

Town: Cowes
Boat name: if only you knew!
Make: n/a
Length: 10m +
Engine: large
takes me back to the old round solent rib races that Alan Priddy use to organise... for those that remember it was the same time as shell had the promotion on for the scale cars at the till - remember the really big ones normally on top of the cigarette shelf...... Well, i pulled into the shell garage on the spur road out of portsmouth next to the commercial port pulled into the centre and took all 4 pumps and started pumping into all 4 tanks we had with the 8mtr - £300 later we were full..! - so i walk into pay and the young girl behind the counter makes some comment about taking all the pumps etc... swipes my credit card and gives me a receipt......uuuhhmmmmm i say... can i have my vouchers please.... she looks at me and says... are you being serious.... duhhhh yeah.... by which time an orderly queue is forming behind me and she is starting to get a bit flustered - "i havnt got time she says to count them out" so i said the amount of fuel i have just bought plus the vouchers i have in my wallet equal the "red ferrari" and the "ac cobra" on the top shelf please........walked out chuckling with 2 boxes under my arms... Those were the days.....
Old 21 September 2007, 09:08   #18

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Plastic tanks

Taking the "only 10 L in a plastic tank" rule to it's logical conclusion, most new cars will only take 10L max fill!

So far I've never has a problem with the SR - I've filled both 30L tanks in the boat, in the boot and out the boot on the forecourt floor. So far no problems, but that may have been down to luck, and i;'ve always de- capped them before picking the pump nozzle off the cradle.....

Technically you could argue the toss that "it's not a petrol can it's a fuel tank"....
Old 21 September 2007, 10:36   #19

Town: Christiansted.V.I.
Boat name: Froggy
Make: Avon SeaRider
Engine: Johnson 50
Static Electricity Risk

Hmmm....You know I fill my tank, in place in the boat once a week and never thought about static spark risk. However...I recall seeing information that was very credible on instances of containers being filled in pickup truck beds causing explosions. I think that fuel carriers have straps that are fastened to the frame and drag the ground to dissipate static charge. I also recall from my days as a volunteer firefighter that fire trucks also have this grounding system due to their proximity to fuel spills. That would tend to indicate that static charge can accumulate on a vehicle with tires and metal contact to "ground" is a good thing, not a bad thing.

I think I recall a special caution about an onboard tank resting on fuzzy or carpet material. When you fill your vehicle tank, the nozzle is in direct metal to metal contact with the vehicle. Not so when you fill a plastic tank onboard.

I'm going to do some research and see what the facts are. Filling my 13 gallon tanks on the ground and hoisting them into the boat is not a good option to say the least.
Old 21 September 2007, 12:12   #20

Town: Christiansted.V.I.
Boat name: Froggy
Make: Avon SeaRider
Engine: Johnson 50
The "Facts" as I found them

There's a ton of different data on the subject but the most reliable sources indicate the following:

1. There are over 150 instances of static electricity igniting fuel while filling portable containers, in the vehicle, not on the ground.

2. Metal cans were involved in more incidents, but plastic has been involved
as well.

3. Risk can be reduced by doing the following;
a) Touching the nozzle to the container before opening the fill cap.
b) Reducing fuel flow at the start of the fueling process.

4. In spite of these steps, actual fuel flow can create it's own charge so
it is recommended that the nozzle be kept in contact with the tank at
all times during a fueling.

Personally, I'm going to observe 3 & 4 more carefully than I have in the past and continue to fill my portables, in the boat.