Old 22 September 2007, 09:22   #31

Town: Oakham
Boat name: Blue Wave
Make: XS
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 115
I agree. If the forecourt assistant can be reassured that you are going to pay then I suspect you will be 90% of the way there. Behaviour which can be misconstrued as suspicious however intentional can possibly result in difficulties.

On the issue of containers I must admit I thought that it was the container itself and not how much is put into it. Hence the requirement for markings. I think I once chatted to our Petroleum Officer, who was a Fireman, about this however it may be the individual Petroleum Officers interpretation. Anyway this is pretty academic and I am happy to be corrected as all we want to do is buy some petrol not change the world.

On a related point I am not sure that I would want to drive any distance with petrol in plastic, or even steel, containers in the back of my vehicle.

Old 22 September 2007, 09:36   #32

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
The standard 5L plastic petrol cans are incredibly tough. The metal jerry cans must be as well - soldiers aren't know for being gentle with things. Just make sure the seals are intact!!!

Old 22 September 2007, 09:46   #33

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon.esp View Post
On a related point I am not sure that I would want to drive any distance with petrol in plastic, or even steel, containers in the back of my vehicle.
That's something that bothers me too - and I've no option considering the nearest petrol station is 16 miles away and my boat's kept afloat.

Ever since the 'local' Tesco's (23 miles) once stopped me filling a 20l can I've felt like a naughty schoolboy every time I fill up. How the guys running the big ribs out of Easdale manage, I don't know.

To reduce the amount I carry in the car, I fill the cars tank and syphon it out at home. Usually can only get about 20l out of it - don't know why, there's always plenty left.
Old 22 September 2007, 11:51   #34

Town: Oakham
Boat name: Blue Wave
Make: XS
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 115
It is or was possible to buy fuel scavenger. All they are is a steel tank with a hand operated pump on it. You stick the inlet pipe down the filler cap and pump the fuel from the vehicles tank out. He only thing is that many modern cars have bends in the filler pipes or other baffles in the tank itself to prevent such devices being used. (this may be why you can only get 20l out) It is the same as siphoning but using a pump so you havenít gained much. A competent blacksmith could knock one up quite easily.

Mind you it may be easier to buy the guys and gals at you local filling station a Christmas present and persuade them to read the paper when you fill up.
Old 22 September 2007, 15:26   #35

I wonder if it's down to the vehicle you turn up in. With a Land Rover they seem to expect such behaviour - never been questioned in any of the supermarkets or independents.
Old 22 September 2007, 22:53   #36

Town: Christiansted.V.I.
Boat name: Froggy
Make: Avon SeaRider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Johnson 50
How Quaint

All this talk of "drive offs" in the old country....

Things are sure different on this side of the pond. One either plants a credit card into the pump or trucks his a$$ up to the cashier and pays in advance, period, end of story, no exceptions unless it's you are well recognized as a frequent customer. "In God We Trust, All Others Pay In Advance".
Old 23 September 2007, 00:09   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas View Post
All this talk of "drive offs" in the old country....

Things are sure different on this side of the pond. One either plants a credit card into the pump or trucks his a$$ up to the cashier and pays in advance, period, end of story, no exceptions unless it's you are well recognized as a frequent customer. "In God We Trust, All Others Pay In Advance".

We also have credit card pumps but as far as paying up front goes it's just way too busy. A typical supermarket filling station will have 20 pumps and get through 20,000 gallons a day!!!

At night a cashier will sometimes ask for payment up front - especially motorbikes.
Old 23 September 2007, 09:50   #38

Town: Christiansted.V.I.
Boat name: Froggy
Make: Avon SeaRider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Johnson 50
In the states there are no stations with 20 pumps but 20 stations with 10 pumps lining commercial boulevards in urban areas in a matter of a couple of miles distance and believe me, cash on the barrel head or no flow. They set the pump to pump what you paid for, period.

Much of the US is very rural, I mean VERY rural and there they may only have a customer every half hour and rules are relaxed, but in that country, were one to drive off they would simply chase you down the road and blow the back window out of your car with a double barrel shotgun blast. Ah country folk, the salt of the earth!
Old 23 September 2007, 11:12   #39

Quote:

Much of the US is very rural, I mean VERY rural and there they may only have a customer every half hour and rules are relaxed, but in that country, were one to drive off they would simply chase you down the road and blow the back window out of your car with a double barrel shotgun blast. Ah country folk, the salt of the earth!
Yes I know - I was shocked just how - dare I say it - backward - some of these places are. Dirt roads - hand cranked pumps - proper hill billies. Just like the Dukes of Hazzard!!!

Britain is too "civilised" for it's own good. So much light pollution most people have forgotten what the night sky looks like. There are still some areas that are pretty remote - parts of Wales and quite a bit of Scotland but no unsurfaced roads which is a pain if you have a Land Rover!!!
Old 23 September 2007, 14:21   #40

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
but in that country, were one to drive off they would simply chase you down the road and blow the back window out of your car with a double barrel shotgun blast. Ah country folk, the salt of the earth!

Now thats my kinda justice.... 'Yippe ky..ay' mofo's.. let em have it .. both barrels